Canterbury-Bankstown legend Steve Mortimer praises Des Hasler's Bulldogs revolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

eighteen18

Waterboy
Reaction score
they were The Entertainers. Years later, The Dogs Of War.

"But Canterbury under Dessie Hasler, it's like somehow he's merged them," club icon Steve Mortimer enthuses. "Honestly, it's like Dessie has created the perfect Canterbury cocktail."

Among the greatest accolades that could ever be lumped on a Bulldogs coach, Mortimer insists Hasler has taken the two greatest eras in Canterbury history -- the late 1970s under Ted Glossop and the mid 1980s under Warren Ryan -- to create this current model that has Doggies fans already scrambling for grand final tickets.

Under Glossop and Ryan, the Bulldogs made five deciders, winning three. But under Hasler, whose side is looking to extend its unbeaten run to 11 games against Brisbane at ANZ Stadium tomorrow . . . who knows?

Starting the year at $17 for the title with TAB Sportsbet, the Doggies are now $3.75 favourites and firming thanks to the precision, punch and playbook of a coach looking to become the first in history to win consecutive premierships with different clubs.

"What Des has done with Canterbury in such a short space of time -- incredible," Mortimer continues. "When I played under Ted Glossop we were all about attack, promoting the footy, scoring points. Then Warren Ryan came in and we were transformed into a side that won premierships on the back of defence.

"But look at Canterbury now, it's like we've got this incredible mix of both coaches, both eras. Not only have they developed that same tough defensive structure Hasler employed at Manly, but he's also got guys like Ben Barba, Josh Morris, Krisnan Inu . . . they can score you tries from anywhere on the field."

First dubbed The Entertainers in 1978, Canterbury went on to win a premiership within two years thanks largely to the attacking flair of six brothers from the Mortimer and Hughes clans.

"And I can really see so much of the style Ted encouraged us to play in Dessie Hasler," Mortimer says. "Look at the way he has the forwards offloading, moving the footy.

"I can't wait for the game against the Broncos this Sunday because every week they seem to give us something new.

"As a Canterbury fan it's a real joy to watch footy at the moment".

Importantly, Turvey says he also sees shades of 'Wazzaball' in the Doggies of 2012.

That tough, no-nonsense approach which arrived at the club with Warren Ryan in 1983; not only resulting in consecutive premierships from the following year, but transforming Belmore Oval into a bloody, gladiatorial arena.

Should they beat the Broncos at home, the Doggies will go a step closer to breaking a club record run of 17 consecutive wins, set back in 2002.

Asked about their winning run, Mortimer says: "Look, all rugby league fans know that nothing lasts forever, but it really is just great fun to be a Canterbury fan at the moment.

"The Bulldogs really seem to be the total package and I think a lot of that is driven by that infrastructure Des Hasler takes with him wherever he goes. I don't stick my nose in too much but, obviously, I love the club and during the few chats I've had with Des you can just see how determined, how focused he is.

"He knows what he wants from himself, from his players, from everyone involved with the club and it's non-negotiable."

CanDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
How times have changed...

Reactions: DT

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lol.
I thought this article was current.
I was like "WTF ??"
2012 was ever so long ago.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Is Des punking us all? Where's Ashton?

That's the only explanation I have left... How a team could change it's style so drastically for the worst, I'll never know.

Kila R Ralai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thought Turvey was loosing it too until...realisation struck.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
lol for a second i thought they got to mortimer and brainwashed him ffs

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
We were a joy to watch...in 2012

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We were a joy to watch...in 2012
Whilst most of us agree Hasler has nothing left in his very small bag of tricks, the NRL screwed us the hardest over the years post 2012 with the 2 new rule changes on interchange (Reduced) and obstruction (the Barba out the back movement banished).

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Whilst most of us agree Hasler has nothing left in his very small bag of tricks, the NRL screwed us the hardest over the years post 2012 with the 2 new rule changes on interchange (Reduced) and obstruction (the Barba out the back movement banished).
Thought they changed the obstruction rule before 2012 finals series. Because that flog Jason Taylor had a big cry in the papers just beforehand.

Also we had a forward pack that loved the shoulder charge and we were intimidating teams. Shhh lets change the rules.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
Thought they changed the obstruction rule before 2012 finals series. Because that flog Jason Taylor had a big cry in the papers just beforehand.

Also we had a forward pack that loved the shoulder charge and we were intimidating teams. Shhh lets change the rules.
yea fken bullshit

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Seems like a lifetime ago we were winning regularly

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
True but we need to adapt as the game changes. Thats on Des.

Status
Not open for further replies.