Hasler hints Bulldogs are eyeing ‘big four’ from the Wests Tigers

Status
Not open for further replies.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
CANTERBURY coach Des Hasler has hinted the Bulldogs are looking at at least some members of the Wests Tigers’ ‘big four’.

Speaking for the first time since his two year contract extension with the Bulldogs was announced, Hasler was his usual cagey self for much of the press conference but revealed the club would be having a serious look at several off-contract stars.

The futures of Tigers quartet Aaron Woods, James Tedesco, Mitchell Moses, and Luke Brooks are hot talking points in rugby league at the moment as all are off contract and no guarantee to stay at Concord.

The Bulldogs are one club being floated as a possible destination for at least some of the players, especially given the scrutiny the Canterbury attack has come under over the past 10 months.

Fox Sports’ chief NRL reporter James Hooper said last week Canterbury had already made a big play for Woods.

In typical Hasler fashion he held his cards close to his chest when fronting the media on Tuesday, but appeared to let slip the fact the Dogs were looking at members of the “big four”.

He denied the club had tabled any offers as of yet.

“Obviously you’re talking about the big four and about Cooper Cronk, and any retention and recruitment committee is going to look at those players,” Hasler said.

“As of the moment there’s been no formal approaches.”

When asked about the possibility of signing outgoing Melbourne champion Cronk, Hasler stated more than once he believes the halfback will retire rather than sign with a Sydney club.

“I would be very surprised ... why would Cooper Cronk come to Sydney to play rugby league?” Hasler said.

“Yes (I think he’ll retire), of course he will.”

Hasler also dodged questions on Kieran Foran.

The classy playmaker has close ties to Hasler with the coach and playmaker teaming to win Manly a premiership in 2011.

Off contract and rumoured to be looking for a return to Sydney, a move to the Bulldogs would seem to make a lot of sense for Foran, but is Hasler thinks the same, he wasn’t prepared to say.

“At the moment Kieran is embedded at the Warriors,” hasler said.

It’s been speculated the Bulldogs will look to shake up their spine in 2018 given the criticism their attack has come under in recent times.

Halves Josh Reynolds and Moses Mbye, and hooker Michael Lichaa, in particular have been in the public and media crosshairs.

Reynolds, Lichaa, and fullback Will Hopoate are all off contract this year.

But both Hasler and club CEO Raelene Castle said the Bulldogs were trying to retain Reynolds beyond the current season.

“He’s a big part of what we’re about here and negotiations are currently going on with his manager,” Hasler said.

If Reynolds does stay and Mbye honours his contract, the Bulldogs may look to shake things up in a different way.

If Lichaa is moved on, it’s been suggested Reynolds could move to hooker to allow the recruitment of a quality half — putting all of Cronk, Foran, Moses, and Brooks in the picture.

Then there’s representative forward Woods and electric fullback Tedesco, who the Bulldogs could look to bring in if they made room in the salary cap.

While the recruitment picture’s no clearer, it’s Hasler’s roster to play with following his re-signing, which ended months of speculation over his future at Belmore.

When asked if he can bring a premiership to the club in the coming two years, Hasler didn’t skip a beat.

“Definitely.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...s/news-story/bbaa0e4759ad01a81b2d00957248a0e8

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If he doesn't strengthen the team for 2018 in some way or shape then not only was re-signing him a mistake the whole 8 years would be a mistake. You can't put down tens of million of dollars on coaches, staff, gym facilities, cameras, gps trackers etc, and be happy for making the top 8 six years in a row (apparently castles knows we will make it this year again :p haha).

With this investment in staff, coach and resources we need atleast 1 more top 4 by 2019 (just to give us a chance and the presumption that we are contenders).

Reactions: DT

too69u

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If he doesn't strengthen the team for 2018 in some way or shape then not only was re-signing him a mistake the whole 8 years would be a mistake. You can't put down tens of million of dollars on coaches, staff, gym facilities, cameras, gps trackers etc, and be happy for making the top 8 six years in a row (apparently castles knows we will make it this year again :p haha).

With this investment in staff, coach and resources we need atleast 1 more top 4 by 2019 (just to give us a chance and the presumption that we are contenders).
110% the 2018 squad will be strengthened.Sit back and enjoy the ride till something is made official

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
110% the 2018 squad will be strengthened.Sit back and enjoy the ride till something is made official
I really hope so. I know generally you are spot on with these things so definitely exciting times ahead it seems for the club :blush:

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can feel it brewing mate.

If I was to go out on a limb I would say that it feels like we could have a new Fullback, half and forward lined up next year.

Tedesco and Woods with one of Foran, Moses, brooks or Cronk.

Leaning towards Foran being most likely.

It would spell the end for Lichaa and probably Graham.

Obviously these are all guesses but I think I am at the very least partly right.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Has Bird signed with us yet??

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As i suggested in another thread, i c feel there is a piece of the puzzle that were all missing and perhaps ot is aupposed big signings that the club is very confident that hasler will sign. Fingers crossed some good news follows the re-signing on hasler.

Personally, i think we would be better off financially and football wise if we moved mbye to fullback and saved the mil tedesco wants, and then sign cronk or foran to cover his spot in the halves. Tedesco is an awesome player, but i dont think he is the fullback we need.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I can feel it brewing mate.

If I was to go out on a limb I would say that it feels like we could have a new Fullback, half and forward lined up next year.

Tedesco and Woods with one of Foran, Moses, brooks or Cronk.

Leaning towards Foran being most likely.

It would spell the end for Lichaa and probably Graham.

Obviously these are all guesses but I think I am at the very least partly right.
That's what I thought too. Felt like Graham
Might head off back to U.K. With Woods replacing him. Lichaa and possibly Hoppa gone and maybe a forward released e.g Eastwood if rumour is true would be enough to sign Foran. Then the salary cap increase goes straight to Teddy. Least I hope so

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kieran Foran will be at the Dogs next year.
Next in line, most possibly Woods.

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
Amazing the quality halves on offer , and St George have Ben Hunt , fkn lol

Status
Not open for further replies.