SHORT DROPOUTS A NO-BRAINER

Status
Not open for further replies.

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
SHORT DROPOUTS A NO-BRAINER
THERE’S one part of the Canterbury Bulldogs’ game that makes rugby league a better spectacle.

It’s the contest for the football from their short line dropouts.

When you think about it, every club should be doing it.

By taking a shorter kick, you’re probably a 25 per cent chance of getting the ball back.

If it doesn’t work, your opponents start their tackle count 15 or 20 metres out.

From the regular and longer line dropouts, the opposing team is usually back to the 20 metre line by the second tackle anyway. So it’s worth the risk.

Now that scrums are such a farce, any contest for possession makes the games more interesting.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/51719510ea4756c24f3620a9613d432f
My thoughts exactly. Good option.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
You know what's better? A Blake Austin 60m fucking thumper.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Keep up the good work Superman.

But seriously, its worth having a go maybe once a game, but you wouldn't want to be doing it every time.

Needs a smart halfback/captain/drop out guy who can spot when their own team is set up for it and the opposition isn't.

The article is right in that for a regular drop out, the opposition are attacking your line within 1 or 2 tackles anyway...
You've hit the bullseye here CroydonDog. Our halves are lousy for pin point accuracy and there's no team in the comp that would expect us to try a bit of razzle dazzle short kicking stuff from a line drop out. But if one of our halves (I'd go for Reynolds as he has a good success rate with field goals) can put a kick just high enough for us to get to in an area that the opposition haven't got covered surely we can have designated chasers to either catch it or knock it back to players ready to take it.

Getting back to the long and short kick issue, I don't think Mbye has got a long drop kick in him (I'm not referring to his genetalia) so he should never be given the ball if the kick is to be a standard long range effort.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our short kickoffs last game were too far for our guys to compete, so we just put ourselves under pressure from 30m out.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You've hit the bullseye here CroydonDog. Our halves are lousy for pin point accuracy and there's no team in the comp that would expect us to try a bit of razzle dazzle short kicking stuff from a line drop out. But if one of our halves (I'd go for Reynolds as he has a good success rate with field goals) can put a kick just high enough for us to get to in an area that the opposition haven't got covered surely we can have designated chasers to either catch it or knock it back to players ready to take it.

Getting back to the long and short kick issue, I don't think Mbye has got a long drop kick in him (I'm not referring to his genetalia) so he should never be given the ball if the kick is to be a standard long range effort.
Moses can hit a drop kick longer than Reynolds.

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do our halves really have a bad kicking game, because I am sure Mbye and Reynolds have nailed clutch field goals.

Reynolds from the sideline against Raiders pops up

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Anyone see Blake Austin's whopper on the weekend? 65m on first bounce. Good luck getting that back in 1-2 tackles.

In fact, if you kick over 50m, they are unlikely to get back to 20 till tackle 4/5.

Drop out goes say 55m.
First tackle should be 45m.
Second tackle 35m
Third tackle 25m out.

Assuming defence is decent.
Pretty sure they took it nearly all the way back to the tryline, then dropped it lol.

Ah, Tigers ...

Status
Not open for further replies.