Movie Discussion

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
So, after seeing a sci-fi flick, and an epic historical legend type movie, I went for a complete change of pace in the third and final installment of by Bangkok movie trilogy, by seeing Lion

Lion is the film adaption of Saroo Brierley's memoir, a Long Way Home. Its quite an extraordinary tale, that had many in the audience openly weeping at its sadness and I guess, in another way, triumph.

Basically a very young Saroo (I think he is about 5 yo) accidentally gets on a wrong train and end up separated from his family and ending in Calcutta, 1600km away from his home. Unable to properly pronounce his home town, nor know his mother's name, and he is also unable to speak the local language (Begali). After avoiding trouble for a few months he ends up in an orphanage and is eventually adopted by an Australian couple, played by Nicole Kidman and David Wenham (who seem to be slipping very well into such roles at this stage of their careers - solid performances by both), and moves to Hobart.

FF many years later and Saroo as a man in his late 20s, and moves to Melbourne where an extremely serendipitous moment, leads him in a spiral to want to find his roots. Google Earth has just come online (its around 2008 by now), and, well, I don't want to spoil it further but the ending is rather special.

Saroo is played well by Dev Patel, who does an Aussie accent better than most Aussies. You forget after watching him in movies like this and Slumdog Millionaire that he is actually British as. I think Dev's star is still on the rise. Rooney Mara, who I also rate, plays his girlfriend (although er character is American so doesn't have to try the accent).

Movies like this remind me that Aussie are good story tellers, whether they be fiction (like, say, Red Dog), or based on a true story. I know big blockbusters have their place, and I also enjoy them from time to time, but in a movie world full of comic book, video games, sequels, prequels, franchises etc, this film , for me, is a real standout.

So CD's going to rate this an 8.5/10.
I remember hearing an interview with Saroo on Triple J and I found it a very interesting story. This was a couple of years back but they mentioned that they were making a movie and I thought that it sounded like an excellent movie.

Lady Emerald

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Assassin's Creed - 5/10.
The story line was good but the concept and screen play was awful. Alot of unessassary parts to the story and it really dragged on before it got good.
As always there is more than likely going to be a sequel which im hoping now that all the SciFi crap is out of it that it will focus more on the core of the story being the creed itself.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Assassin's Creed - 5/10.
The story line was good but the concept and screen play was awful. Alot of unessassary parts to the story and it really dragged on before it got good.
As always there is more than likely going to be a sequel which im hoping now that all the SciFi crap is out of it that it will focus more on the core of the story being the creed itself.
Probably won't be a sequel. I'm guessing it's like the Warcraft movie that they made with full intent of making at least a trilogy, but it was so badly taken that the trilogy was axed.

Lady Emerald

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably won't be a sequel. I'm guessing it's like the Warcraft movie that they made with full intent of making at least a trilogy, but it was so badly taken that the trilogy was axed.
Perhaps but the way it ended i would hope that if they were to do it that it would be much better than this one. Most films made from video games arent that great, Im surprised GTA haven't tried to do one yet.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't know if I've mentioned before but if anyone hasn't seen Judgement night and breakdown, I recommend you watch them both!

Judgement night stars with Emilio Estevez,Cuba Gooding Jnr and Dennis Leary.
Breakdown stars Kurt Russell and J.T Walsh.

I watched them on YouTube recently.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Are they action movies?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Perhaps but the way it ended i would hope that if they were to do it that it would be much better than this one. Most films made from video games arent that great, Im surprised GTA haven't tried to do one yet.
That's 'cause Uwe Boll retired. He's the king of destroying video games.

Lady Emerald

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I watched the following yesterday:
The mechanic: 2/10- Fucking terrible!!! I lost all respect for Jason Statham after that.
No further comments.

Jack reacher: 6/10 - wasn't too bad, story line was okay and action was average. It was a little draggy in parts. Then again i don't really like tom Cruz in anything else except mission impossible.

Usually after i see an awesome movie (like the accountant) i find it hard to like any other one for a while.

Wahesh

Reaction score
The mechanic: 2/10- Fucking terrible!!! I lost all respect for Jason Statham after that.
No further comments.

Jack reacher: 6/10 - wasn't too bad, story line was okay and action was average. It was a little draggy in parts. Then again i don't really like tom Cruz in anything else except mission impossible.

Usually after i see an awesome movie (like the accountant) i find it hard to like any other one for a while.
Do you mean The Mechanic 2?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
No further comments.

I saw Jack Reacher as the epitome of average. It was somewhat entertaining to watch, wasn't bad, wasn't great. Literally average.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
No further comments.

Statham was great in films like Snatch, and even the Transporter, but then just went down the well trodden path of action films (I think Crank started the downward run). Same for Vin Diesel - he probably has great potential as an actor but you wouldn't know as he spends his time in effing Fast and Furious movies.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Statham was great in films like Snatch, and even the Transporter, but then just went down the well trodden path of action films (I think Crank started the downward run). Same for Vin Diesel - he probably has great potential as an actor but you wouldn't know as he spends his time in effing Fast and Furious movies.
If you were a fan of Fast and Furious movies, you would think he's doing a good job.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that the stunts get more and more ridiculous as the series goes on, but that's the evolution and growth of the series. In fact, I'll name 1 ridiculous stunt from each movie, but it's important for everyone who watches these movie to apply "Suspension of Disbelief" to them:

1. The Charger crashing into the truck at the end after clearing the railroad crossing with the Supra
2. The blue Yanko jumping onto the boat and landing directly on the top
3. The 370z driven by DK falling down the mountain
4. The crew driving at ridiculous speeds through the narrow tunnel in the mountain
5. The entire vault scene. Enough said.
6. The tank on the bridge being taken down by a Mustang being used as a ancor, as well as the seemingly endless runway in Spain
7. The bus scene as well as the final scene with Vin Deisel breaking the ground by stomping on it
8. I can already tell it's got something to do with the giant submarine

Remember, it's a movie. It's make believe. It's just for fun ;) Nobody is forcing you to watch it or like it. You don't like, don't watch. Simple :grinning:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If you were a fan of Fast and Furious movies, you would think he's doing a good job.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that the stunts get more and more ridiculous as the series goes on, but that's the evolution and growth of the series. In fact, I'll name 1 ridiculous stunt from each movie, but it's important for everyone who watches these movie to apply "Suspension of Disbelief" to them:

1. The Charger crashing into the truck at the end after clearing the railroad crossing with the Supra
4. The crew driving at ridiculous speeds through the narrow tunnel in the mountain
6. The tank on the bridge being taken down by a Mustang being used as a ancor, as well as the seemingly endless runway in Spain
7. The bus scene as well as the final scene with Vin Deisel breaking the ground by stomping on it

Remember, it's a movie. It's make believe. It's just for fun ;) Nobody is forcing you to watch it or like it. You don't like, don't watch. Simple :grinning:
Definitely nobody forcing me to watch - so I don't (only time I feel a bit forced it endless promos on the tele when a new one comes out). Funny enough, i'm often the first one to say to people who complain about stuff "If you don't like it don't watch/do it" :grinning: I also like escapism myself sometimes.

But I still stand by Vin Diesel possible not realising his potential as an actor (although that's his choice and I'm sure he also likes making thirty million bucks to blow up cars and beat up a few guys :grinning:

I saw the first three, and I only saw the 2nd one as my ex wife had a big crush on Paul Walker (the guy probably helped me get some action). I didn't rate Tokyo Drift, so didn't keep going from there... but from the ads i've seen and hearing people talk about it, it would seem they make big changes from 4 onwards. Fans are still lapping it up, but surely a series has to end somewhere (but then again, they keep making Star Wars films!)

Wahesh

Reaction score
Definitely nobody forcing me to watch - so I don't (only time I feel a bit forced it endless promos on the tele when a new one comes out). Funny enough, i'm often the first one to say to people who complain about stuff "If you don't like it don't watch/do it" :grinning: I also like escapism myself sometimes.

But I still stand by Vin Diesel possible not realising his potential as an actor (although that's his choice and I'm sure he also likes making thirty million bucks to blow up cars and beat up a few guys :grinning:

I saw the first three, and I only saw the 2nd one as my ex wife had a big crush on Paul Walker (the guy probably helped me get some action). I didn't rate Tokyo Drift, so didn't keep going from there... but from the ads i've seen and hearing people talk about it, it would seem they make big changes from 4 onwards. Fans are still lapping it up, but surely a series has to end somewhere (but then again, they keep making Star Wars films!)
The franchise will finish after part 10. It's been confirmed that part 8 is the beginning of the final trilogy.

Now as for part 4, that's where the series changed. It went from being primary about racing, to primarily about action driving. It's mainly all muscle cars crashing and what have you. I think people were getting a little bored of the racing thing so they spiced it up a little with all the action. I recall that part 3 (Tokyo Drift) being watched by me in a near-empty cinema in Burwood which was compounded with the fact that I watched it during the week while school holidays were on.

Lady Emerald

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Transporter was a decent movie. He was even good in the expendables. But seriously he made himself look like the biggest soft cock in the mechanic it made me sick!

Also i have no idea why vin diesel is doing another xXx but the trailer looked like he was doing a different version of Fast.

Lady Emerald

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone should practice what they preach right here shouldn't they? :blush:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Transporter was a decent movie. He was even good in the expendables. But seriously he made himself look like the biggest soft cock in the mechanic it made me sick!

Also i have no idea why vin diesel is doing another xXx but the trailer looked like he was doing a different version of Fast.
I think it was seeing the XXX promos last week that got me thinking about Vin Diesel (no homo).

Wahesh

Reaction score
Someone should practice what they preach right here shouldn't they? :blush:
My oh my. Someone's a little grumpy today.

Now, no one forces me to watch the fireworks, I'm happy to admit to that. My point is that if the fireworks would actually be the best ones yet as the idiots always state, then I would shut my mouth and drop the subject. However the fireworks are the same year after year. What they should say is that "these fireworks will be just as extravagant as they were last year" - that way we know what to expect.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Have you seen "Shoot 'em Up"?

If not, I'd highly suggest it. Ridiculous, illogical, over the top action. Really entertaining movie. Kind of like Crank but more ridiculous.