Movie Discussion

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
V for Vendetta has ruined every movie for me, in my opinion, there isn't a single movie that could ever top that glorious piece of work. I hate watching any movie more than once, I've seen Vendetta close to a good dozen times and it never gets old.
Movie was ruined thanks to Anonymous and their stupid face masks.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can't wait for the assassins creed movie to come to show the Spanish Inquisition that's based 110% on factual sources rather than agenda bias historians from the 19th century.
It will be refreshing to see people here now using this movie as a reference of fact on what the church did during the Spanish Inquisition lol.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Can't wait for the assassins creed movie to come to show the Spanish Inquisition that's based 110% on factual sources rather than agenda bias historians from the 19th century.
It will be refreshing to see people here now using this movie as a reference of fact on what the church did during the Spanish Inquisition lol.
I hope they talk about how the Spanish Inquisition found those ancient alien devices.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just finished watching jack reacher not a great movie by any means but was ok.
Butttttt for fuks sake why does feminism have to be in every single fkn movie now.

There's a scene where tom cruise (jack reacher, highly decorated x military crazy **** etc) tells the female major that she should stay and look after the kid while he goes and hunts for info.
And straight away it's the "oh coz I'm a woman I have to baby sit and stay home look after the kid"?
like ffs it's because jack reacher is a crazy **** and you're just a major out in your position to say the army is diverse and to also shut your mouth up.

By the way it's about a 5.5/10 in my books. It's a like a cheaper version of mission impossible, but was much better than the first one.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just finished watching jack reacher not a great movie by any means but was ok.
Butttttt for fuks sake why does feminism have to be in every single fkn movie now.

There's a scene where tom cruise (jack reacher, highly decorated x military crazy **** etc) tells the female major that she should stay and look after the kid while he goes and hunts for info.
And straight away it's the "oh coz I'm a woman I have to baby sit and stay home look after the kid"?
like ffs it's because jack reacher is a crazy **** and you're just a major out in your position to say the army is diverse and to also shut your mouth up.

By the way it's about a 5.5/10 in my books. It's a like a cheaper version of mission impossible, but was much better than the first one.
I actually liked it. I think reacher is part autistic the way he completely ignores the crying girl at the end

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Well its movie season again, so I thought I'd bump this thread with hopefully some constructive reviews.

Today I saw Passengers (Not to be confused with the 2008 film starring Anne Hathaway).

So basically Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt wake up about halfway into a journey accross the galaxy. Long story how that happened plus don't want to spoil it.

I must admit the producers did a good job of giving you just the right amount of JLaw's flesh to keep you interested ...

It had real potential and for me it was giving nods to films as diverse as Armageddon and the Shining, but overall it wasn't quite there, with the ending, in my view, a little bit shit. I don't mind sci fi, but I needed a bit more substance ir something. But i think fans of the whole outer space genre will like ut more than I did.

6/10 for me.

Going to see Lion or Great Wall depending in wife/cricket/sesion times.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Well its movie season again, so I thought I'd bump this thread with hopefully some constructive reviews.

Today I saw Passengers (Not to be confused with the 2008 film starring Anne Hathaway).

So basically Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt wake up about halfway into a journey accross the galaxy. Long story how that happened plus don't want to spoil it.
Is that the one where he wakes her early, so he's not lonely, condemning her to death before they reach their destination ?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Apparently Passengers is a little crap and Assassin's Creed is atrocious. They're saying that the action and fight choreography in Assassin's Creed is great but the rest is complete rubbish.

I'll still see both movies but will probably wait until they reach bluray.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Is that the one where he wakes her early, so he's not lonely, condemning her to death before they reach their destination ?
Can't confirm or deny on the basis i don't want to provide a spoiler. (Even though i did not really rate the film).

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Today' film was The Great Wall.

It is a story of a legend involving the great wall and the reasons for its existence (and you all thought it was to keep the Mongolians out!).

The main star is Matt Damon who plays a kind of mercenary type westerner. And of course every hero needs a sidekick, who in this film is played by Pedro Pascal,who, in a way, plays a similar character to his Javier in Narcos, even down to the Mo. I think he is the next Benicio Del Toro, the guy you call when you cant some sort of badass Spanish guy. Anyways, these two dudes end up, to put it mildly in the wrong place at the wrong time at the Wall.

Leading the Chinese contingent is Commander Lin Mei, played by the sexy Tian Jing. And of course, with a touch of cliche she is a martial arts, kickass sort of oriental chick, who can wear full body armour for 2 hours, kick the shit out of the enemy, and flick her hair sexily at camera. Anyway its hard to give away too much without spoiling it, but there are monsters, and some really cool cgi stuff.

Some smaller roles for Andy Lau (who is a legend of Hong Kong cinema) and Willem Defoe.

Some critics were pretty harsh on this movie (its 5.9 on IMDB), and it could be mildly criticized for writing in Damon's character just to appeal to western audiences, and on that point there is a bit of a point, I mean, it does at times go close to making it all about the westerner saving the day (and lucky there are a few people in this Chinese army who speak English of course), but overall, I think they kept it in check, and after thinking of the film later, there are some key bits that meant the character had to be someone from a faraway land.

If you like the big epic battle scenes, this one is for you.

I give it a 7/10.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It is a story of a legend involving the great wall and the reasons for its existence (and you all thought it was to keep the Mongolians out!).
Nope. Everyone knows it was to keep the rabbits out. Too many rabbits in China.

Lady Emerald

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So i watched the accountant last night.
I was pleasantly surprised. Very well written and although im not a fan of Ben Afflick he out did himself on this one.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So i watched the accountant last night.
I was pleasantly surprised. Very well written and although im not a fan of Ben Afflick he out did himself on this one.
As an accountant i enjoyed the Accountant.

But I must say we are not all autistic hitmen.

Lady Emerald

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As an accountant i enjoyed the Accountant.

But I must say we are not all autistic hitmen.
But you could still be hitmen? Is there something you're not telling us CD? I swear my lips are sealed.:nomouth:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So, after seeing a sci-fi flick, and an epic historical legend type movie, I went for a complete change of pace in the third and final installment of by Bangkok movie trilogy, by seeing Lion

Lion is the film adaption of Saroo Brierley's memoir, a Long Way Home. Its quite an extraordinary tale, that had many in the audience openly weeping at its sadness and I guess, in another way, triumph.

Basically a very young Saroo (I think he is about 5 yo) accidentally gets on a wrong train and end up separated from his family and ending in Calcutta, 1600km away from his home. Unable to properly pronounce his home town, nor know his mother's name, and he is also unable to speak the local language (Begali). After avoiding trouble for a few months he ends up in an orphanage and is eventually adopted by an Australian couple, played by Nicole Kidman and David Wenham (who seem to be slipping very well into such roles at this stage of their careers - solid performances by both), and moves to Hobart.

FF many years later and Saroo as a man in his late 20s, and moves to Melbourne where an extremely serendipitous moment, leads him in a spiral to want to find his roots. Google Earth has just come online (its around 2008 by now), and, well, I don't want to spoil it further but the ending is rather special.

Saroo is played well by Dev Patel, who does an Aussie accent better than most Aussies. You forget after watching him in movies like this and Slumdog Millionaire that he is actually British as. I think Dev's star is still on the rise. Rooney Mara, who I also rate, plays his girlfriend (although er character is American so doesn't have to try the accent).

Movies like this remind me that Aussie are good story tellers, whether they be fiction (like, say, Red Dog), or based on a true story. I know big blockbusters have their place, and I also enjoy them from time to time, but in a movie world full of comic book, video games, sequels, prequels, franchises etc, this film , for me, is a real standout.

So CD's going to rate this an 8.5/10.