Pet Fish: fresh water, salt water and everything in between

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bro marine life can be so complex and complicated. People think fish are the easiest pets to maintain. They are the exact opposite. You need to change the water in the tank every month, make sure the filter is working and clean, have an air pump in there, have a fluro light fixed (to keep the fish active), and all these other little things, but perhaps the most complex of all is knowing which fish to have. You can't just have a bunch of different fish and other marine creatures mixed together in the same tank because they look good - you need to have a good balance otherwise they'll all kill each other lol. Circle of life brother, circle of life.

as mentioned in my earlier posts my passion is blue line sharks which are actually banned in australia but available in the black market.

Actually that is the only reason I would keep a fish tank to keep only blue line sharks.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
That's the thing mate. I would LOVE to have an array of creatures in one tank, but know it can't happen. I'd love to have:

• Small sharks
  • Clown Fish
  • Angel/Rainbow fish
  • Blue mud crab
  • Yabby
  • Sea Horses
  • Glofish
I know that combination (plus more) won't work though lol.
Actually you can have those combination in one tank the trick is to have a lot of ornaments so other fish can hide plus make sure they are feed and try not to get bigger fish cause they will eat anything that fits in there mouths.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
as mentioned in my earlier posts my passion is blue line sharks which are actually banned in australia but available in the black market.

Actually that is the only reason I would keep a fish tank to keep only blue line sharks.
Why are they banned ??

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Well, at least your Sharks would be well fed.
I'm not sure the sharks would be able to eat many of them except for maybe the glofish. They are tiny man, you wouldn't even think they're sharks. This is them:

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Why are they banned ??

i believe they grow too big and too fast for fish tanks, that is what i was told

i am not sure of the exact reason.

look at them , they just look beautiful

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
i believe they grow too big and too fast for fish tanks, that is what i was told

i am not sure of the exact reason.

look at them , they just look beautiful

I had 4 of them and bought them from a aquarium . They grew about 25cm long in 4 months

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I had 4 of them and bought them from a aquarium . They grew about 25cm long in 4 months

seriously? blue lines? when did you have them?

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I had a few tanks over the years. Started with a small 2ft with a couple cichlids, then moved to a 6ft oscars. Then went to a 4ft marine setup.

Had the marine setup for about 2 years and it was the hardest work ever to keep, but it was so worth it.

@nchorman

Channel 4 News!
Reaction score
I'm not sure the sharks would be able to eat many of them except for maybe the glofish. They are tiny man, you wouldn't even think they're sharks. This is them:

Thats the baby i got. Named him dennis coz he's the menace of the tank

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My favourite fresh water fish I had was my golden gourami. Such a beautiful fish.

Too bad it liked to kill everything that went in with it.

Just a pic from Google

@nchorman

Channel 4 News!
Reaction score
My favourite fresh water fish I had was my golden gourami. Such a beautiful fish.

Too bad it liked to kill everything that went in with it.

Just a pic from Google
Thats so strange, My golden Gourami (named Shwarmi Gourami) is the most docile of my fish. Absolute gentle giant.

I'm thinking of getting an Opaline Gourami too, just so Shwarmi has someone his size to swim with.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thats so strange, My golden Gourami (named Shwarmi Gourami) is the most docile of my fish. Absolute gentle giant.

I'm thinking of getting an Opaline Gourami too, just so Shwarmi has someone his size to swim with.
Yeah I guess it was because he was the biggest in the tank for a long time and anything I put in after was still small. He probably killed about 6 or 7 fish before I moved him on.

Btw lol at shwarmi

@nchorman

Channel 4 News!
Reaction score
Yeah I guess it was because he was the biggest in the tank for a long time and anything I put in after was still small. He probably killed about 6 or 7 fish before I moved him on.

Btw lol at shwarmi
Yeah that's what im scared of with my gourami. So far its the most docile, plus when it eats food out of my hands, it does little dances.
The dude is a jester and a king at the same time

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah that's what im scared of with my gourami. So far its the most docile, plus when it eats food out of my hands, it does little dances.
The dude is a jester and a king at the same time
Fuck I want to get a tank again. I have to keep stopping myself from going all out again. Once I buy myself a house and move out with the mrs, I'll get one. The big question will be to go planted tank or marine. Love them both

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Who has had a salt water set up and how different is it than the fresh water?
I want to start again but I want the salt water tank.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Who has had a salt water set up and how different is it than the fresh water?
I want to start again but I want the salt water tank.
Forget everything you know about fresh water and start again. Read and read and read some more, and when you think you are done, read some more.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Forget everything you know about fresh water and start again. Read and read and read some more, and when you think you are done, read some more.
So pumps ,filters and heating are all different.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So pumps ,filters and heating are all different.
Yeah you will need to move to a refugium setup, with live rock being the major filter. Then you have protein skimmers and water chillers and RO water for top ups because salt water evaporates faster. Salt water fish and coral are much more sensitive to changes in water parameters.