The UNBELIEVABLE Contract Clause Which Could See Hasler Become A Free Agent On 1 November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
btw what does this mean? "club has 17 days to clean up the deal or Hasler will become a free agent, according to the Daily Telegraph."

is that a deadline that hasler has created for a new contract and if its not met he will leave at the end of 2017?, maybe that is your answer aheecee about why they arent holding off talks
Apparently he becomes a free agent on November 1 because he is off contract next year so that's where the 17 days come from. I'm pretty sure the November 1 deadline only applies to players on the salary cap and not coaches or any other staff so the whole article is bullshit.

Reactions: DT

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Des has a shit hair cut

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Des beeps at old ladies at crossings to hurry up

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Apparently he becomes a free agent on November 1 because he is off contract next year so that's where the 17 days come from. I'm pretty sure the November 1 deadline only applies to players on the salary cap and not coaches or any other staff so the whole article is bullshit.
no i dont understand how that works, so he had something in his existing deal that says he can leave early if he isnt offered a new deal entering his last season?

i think it sounds more like they are trying to work out a new deal and hasler has said that he will leave next year if he doesnt get it before pre season as a symbol of the bulldogs continued belief in his greatness

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
no i dont understand how that works, so he had something in his existing deal that says he can leave early if he isnt offered a new deal entering his last season?

i think it sounds more like they are trying to work out a new deal and hasler has said that he will leave next year if he doesnt get it before pre season as a symbol of the bulldogs continued belief in his greatness
It's a NRL rule that from November 1 in the year before you are off contract you are free to start negotiations with a potential new club. Before November 1 you can't have negotiations unless you have been given permission by the club. That's how it works for players and how I understand it is from reading the article I may be wrong.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Not the case at all. These clauses are very common.
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/contingency-clause.asp
The good faith part would be a issue still using that in this way wouldn't it? What would be considered good faith from the club using it this way?.......... if we have key injuries missing its ok, if we get 5th but the top 4 have record breaking points?

To me its a lazy clause anyway, I don't think the average fan would be happy if we got into 4th place doing the same thing next season, and then dropped out of the finals meekly. It fails to address any of the actual issues...... why not a percentage of players dropped from fg during the season should they not be hitting 100% of their kpi's (not 100% dropped in that situation because there is still the question of if there is someone in the lower grades actually plausibly better if given a shot), or promotion of lower level players to fg playing minutes to ensure we are developing depth, or set number of trys off set plays to ensure our play book is actually effective, or positive progression of set stats year on year, or the recruitment of 1 or more big signings (big to be defined in that clause, not later hyped as being big just to cross it off), one I'd like would be a goal on the average age of players per minute which would somewhat force the blooding of new players, and consideration of which senior players and strong seniors, and which are weak seniors that we carry to the detriment of our future squad (not to force a huge change to young players, just enough to ensure a good mix of age - experience to youth - hunger/longevity of career ahead........ I mean there are SOOOO many kpi's you could ask for that would be far more meaningful than make the top 4, I just made them up on the spot, why doesn't the board each come up with 100 of them, then pick the top 5 or 10 combined to ask for, then they might actually be good ones.

We've made the finals every year since Des has been there, making the top 4 would be cool, but it would mean absolutely nothing in terms of the team actually progressing, evolving and getting better every year like they should be aiming for. Want Des to get more creative? then the board should start with some creativity coming up with kpi's that require it.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The good faith part would be a issue still using that in this way wouldn't it? What would be considered good faith from the club using it this way?.......... if we have key injuries missing its ok, if we get 5th but the top 4 have record breaking points?

To me its a lazy clause anyway, I don't think the average fan would be happy if we got into 4th place doing the same thing next season, and then dropped out of the finals meekly. It fails to address any of the actual issues...... why not a percentage of players dropped from fg during the season should they not be hitting 100% of their kpi's (not 100% dropped in that situation because there is still the question of if there is someone in the lower grades actually plausibly better if given a shot), or promotion of lower level players to fg playing minutes to ensure we are developing depth, or set number of trys off set plays to ensure our play book is actually effective, or positive progression of set stats year on year, or the recruitment of 1 or more big signings (big to be defined in that clause, not later hyped as being big just to cross it off), one I'd like would be a goal on the average age of players per minute which would somewhat force the blooding of new players, and consideration of which senior players and strong seniors, and which are weak seniors that we carry to the detriment of our future squad (not to force a huge change to young players, just enough to ensure a good mix of age - experience to youth - hunger/longevity of career ahead........ I mean there are SOOOO many kpi's you could ask for that would be far more meaningful than make the top 4, I just made them up on the spot, why doesn't the board each come up with 100 of them, then pick the top 5 or 10 combined to ask for, then they might actually be good ones.

We've made the finals every year since Des has been there, making the top 4 would be cool, but it would mean absolutely nothing in terms of the team actually progressing, evolving and getting better every year like they should be aiming for. Want Des to get more creative? then the board should start with some creativity coming up with kpi's that require it.
If we make the top 4 all it guarantees is two blow out final loses instead of one.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
It's a NRL rule that from November 1 in the year before you are off contract you are free to start negotiations with a potential new club. Before November 1 you can't have negotiations unless you have been given permission by the club. That's how it works for players and how I understand it is from reading the article I may be wrong.
oh ok so when they say he will become a free agent they are describing him being able to test the market on nov 1 for 2018, that sounds right but i was correct to be confused as free agent usually implies free to do what you want immediately

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The coach isn't included in the cap right? So we can afford to out bid pretty much any team, I still don't see the rush on this...... if we have to pay a bit more, who cares, as long as we get the best result.

We do also have that famously best training facilities in the NRL, so even on even money we're still better than any other club, if we have everything in our favour, why do we have to scramble to get it done?

I wouldn't aim to resolve a 2018 coach until the start of next season myself.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I love the drama in the off season, as long as it doesn't evolve my team.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
oh ok so when they say he will become a free agent they are describing him being able to test the market on nov 1 for 2018, that sounds right but i was correct to be confused as free agent usually implies free to do what you want immediately
The confusion is understandable mate the article has plenty of holes in it. As I said previously I have big doubts it even applies to coaches.

too69u

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So the top 4 clause is in his current contract that expires 01/11/2017?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The coach isn't included in the cap right? So we can afford to out bid pretty much any team, I still don't see the rush on this...... if we have to pay a bit more, who cares, as long as we get the best result.

We do also have that famously best training facilities in the NRL, so even on even money we're still better than any other club, if we have everything in our favour, why do we have to scramble to get it done?

I wouldn't aim to resolve a 2018 coach until the start of next season myself.
There's rumours of a staff salary cap coming in for 2018 but next year there definitely isn't one. You are correct, I don't understand the rush either if Des signs somewhere else so be it but it would be a massive mistake to re-sign him in the next few weeks.

If you go off the latest articles we are bending over for him which is just stupid. I think there's a massive game of Russian roulette going on between us and Des and nothing's going to happen until someone shoots.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
they will have des and all our so called stars coming off contract together at the same time the way these fucktards work...then he'll sail off in to the sunset with Klemmer, Jackson & Mbye

I think if Des does get this extension there will be a ton of crowd trouble at bulldogs games next year with frustrated fans lashing out, being fed up with being ignored it will be their only avenue to show there frustration......

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So the top 4 clause is in his current contract that expires 01/11/2017?
Do you think we will see any resolution to this anytime soon or will it be next season ?

The 2nd Spitter

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not like the clause is inconsistent between the clubs goals and Des' personal goals. That's how incentives clauses work.

Acting in bad faith by the club would be demoting or sacking Des while he still has a chance to make the top four, which will never happen. Or locking him out of the coach's box during a match.

Injuries are foreseeable and it's part of Des' job to manage the team when players are injured. However, the club may choose not enforce the clause and grant him the extension regardless of position if the team had a bunch of injuries and finished 5th. Similarly, if they finish 5th and won the Grand Final i'm sure they would act the same.

too69u

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The club more than likely will extend des's contract by the end this year but won't announce anything till next season.I don't know 100% but when I do I'll let you know.Think our CEO will get the boot before des does so let's see.But Des and the board are on the same page as we lead into the start of pre season training and that is Des has promised complete overhaul.Over to you mr Hasler ...

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
I love the drama in the off season, as long as it doesn't evolve my team.
You guys ran the offi field circus for 4 years. I think its someone else's turn and unfortunately its us.

Do you think we will see any resolution to this anytime soon or will it be next season ?
Do you remember the 2007 off season and what happened going into 2008?

Status
Not open for further replies.