Canterbury Bulldogs reassess lofty goals but Des Hasler man to chase them: Raelene Castle

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Canterbury chief executive Raelene Castle concedes the Bulldogs are unlikely to achieve their stated goal of winning two premierships by 2019, but she is adamant Des Hasler represents the best chance of breaking a concerning title drought.

Hasler's immediate future was guaranteed following an emergency board meeting at ANZ Stadium on Friday to discuss his tenure. The two-time premiership-winning coach will see out the final year of his contract, with discussions for a two-year extension set to continue beyond the six-month mark.

Hasler was under pressure after a disappointing 2016 campaign that ended in the opening week of the playoffs. The pressure was exacerbated when director Steve Mortimer, echoing the sentiments of fellow great Terry Lamb, questioned whether Hasler was the right fit at Belmore.

While Hasler's 60 per cent winning record – which includes two grand final appearances – at the Bulldogs is impressive, Castle makes no apologies for expectations being set higher at Belmore than at other clubs.

Des still the man: Raelene Castle is confident Hasler is the right coach to break the Bulldogs' title drought. Photo: Sarah Keayes

"The bar is set very high and that's been the Canterbury way for a long period of time," Castle told Fairfax Media.

"That's based on the success and expectation of our fans, members, playing group and coaching staff and board leadership.

"Seventh or eighth is not good enough and we are looking for that elusive premiership. It's been 12 years since we won one and that's too long, so it is a very high bar."

Canterbury set themselves the bold target of winning two premierships by 2019 as part of the club's strategic plan. Castle now admits that goal is unlikely to be achieved.

"Two wins by 2019 is very ambitious now," she said.

"I'm on record as saying strategic plans are about ambition and there is no club that wouldn't aspire to winning two premierships by 2019.

"While that created a media focus and success on the footy field for all clubs is the No.1 focus, the other underpinning elements can't be forgotten and are also very important. The holistic approach of a strategic plan is obviously about football, but other elements about commercial success, strong pathways and a good presence in the community are what make a club."

Castle denied extension talks with Hasler had been put on the backburner following the recent dramas and said she was confident he would remain at Canterbury long term.

"The disappointing thing is that there's been speculation this is about Turvey versus Hasler and that there's been a winner and loser," Castle said.

"That's not the case. There has been some robust discussion and Turvey recognises he made some comments which then meant he had to step down from the board.

"But his wisdom and experience is something we need to ensure remains inside the Bulldogs and that association will continue with him as a mentor as part of the alumni program.

"Hasler can continue with the 100 per cent united support of the board. We continue with his management team to seek an outcome that works for both of us going forward."

High bar: Hasler needs to deliver a premiership to Canterbury with the club restless after a 12-year drought. Photo: Renee McKay

Hasler is likely to have a stricter football budget to work to for future campaigns. The Bulldogs have privately raised concerns about his expenditure, while the NRL will impose a cap on football department spending on all clubs from 2018.

"Two grand finals in five years – there are only two teams that have done that," Castle said.

"That's a good achievement, but we haven't done the thing we really need to do, which is to win a grand final.

"The budget needs to be appropriately aligned so we can achieve that goal.

"There should always be a testing of football budgets, as there is on commercial or marketing budgets to make sure you are spending the money effectively because it's an important part of the governance process.

"The discussion is not about Hasler, the discussion is about making sure we have a football budget that's appropriate for our business at the current time that allows us to be competitive on the field and in line with our business goal."

Hasler is one of the few modern-day Bulldogs coaches not to have played for the club.

Asked if the discourse about "DNA" and culture was relevant in the Hasler discussions, Castle said: "It's got to be relevant because when you come to Belmore, you only need to be inside the building to realise the culture and history leaches out of the walls.

"That is important and anything we can do to keep the history alive and relevant, and also recognise the modern game and techniques and keeping the right people in the right jobs – whether they be Bulldogs or not – is important. Marrying those two together is an important part of marrying the two going forward."

Source

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Des does well this year, he will move on to the next club that will pay big money for him.

It's up to the players and board to squeeze every last bit of the 1.25 mill we're paying him now.

Let's hope for our sake, Des has learnt and will change the structures. Warren Ryan has come out and said Des is smart enough to realise the game plan needs changing.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
btw even if they didnt have lofty goals they would fail to reach it, so thats not the only reason they failed

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, but is Castle a rug muncher?

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
KPIs my farken hairy arab arse. That corporate bullshit doesnt belong in professional sport and Raebro is treating our club like we're Macquarie Bank.

And if Dib doesn't want to pay for Dessie's termination, the football club members will make sure if an EGM happens, he will be voted out and so will some board members who supported Dessie.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll just come out and say it. If Grimmace was a male, she would of been fired.

They are just scared to give her the boot because dumb ***** will label them sexist.
Agreed, I also think if a male candidate had the same credentials as Castle when we were looking he wouldn't have been hired. I recon she got into her interview and said to the board how good the PR would be having a female CEO and they took it hook line and sinker.

The 2nd Spitter

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed, I also think if a male candidate had the same credentials as Castle when we were looking he wouldn't have been hired. I recon she got into her interview and said to the board how good the PR would be having a female CEO and they took it hook line and sinker.
The fact she didn't have a football background also helped so not to interfere with the Great Footballing Genius Nosewhistler in the day-to-day football operations.

If she leaves the club, I'm sure Greenberg will give her a new position in his adminstration, probably Head of Referees.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The fact she didn't have a football background also helped so not to interfere with the Great Footballing Genius Nosewhistler
I don't think a CEO even needs to bother with the football side of things anymore. You have coaches, the board and former NRL players around the club with massive opinions, surely that is more than enough?Payne pretty much got sacked for sticking his nose into the football side of the club at the Panthers.

The 2nd Spitter

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think a CEO even needs to bother with the football side of things anymore. You have coaches, the board and former NRL players around the club with massive opinions, surely that is more than enough?Payne pretty much got sacked for sticking his nose into the football side of the club at the Panthers.
Yet her she is today admitting that she made unrealistic footballing goals for the club ...... which I don't believe were that unrealistic in the first place.....except maybe to become the biggest sporting club in Australia.
l

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
"Seventh or eighth is not good enough and we are looking for that elusive premiership. It's been 12 years since we won one and that's too long, so it is a very high bar."

Well I guess at least she is on the same page as a lot of us here.

Canterbury chief executive Raelene Castle concedes the Bulldogs are unlikely to achieve their stated goal of winning two premierships by 2019, but she is adamant Des Hasler represents the best chance of breaking a concerning title drought.
Nice one Einstein so why say it in the first place?

Upupcronulla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
yeah the ceo needs to worry about things like sponsorships and memberships etc. The moment you have a ceo sticking their dicks in the football side of things the moment the dramas start.

Absolute stupidity from a ceo to come out saying the shit about 2 premierships by 2019. Puts pressure on the whole football department.

So she said with hasler they want to win 2 comps by 2019 now concedes that's unrealistic yet wants to extend haslers contract... righhhhhttttt.

She's a complete fail. If you fuck up being a ceo to one of the biggest clubs in the nrl then it really does show shes way out of her depth

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
She should be moved sideways into some sort of corporate finance job. Just don't ever let her get involved with the football team as she has no idea.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If we won in 2012 or 2014 Des would of moved on already like Bennett did with the Dragons. I doubt he thought he'd still be at the club after 5 years.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yet her she is today admitting that she made unrealistic footballing goals for the club ...... which I don't believe were that unrealistic in the first place.....except maybe to become the biggest sporting club in Australia.
l
yeah the ceo needs to worry about things like sponsorships and memberships etc. The moment you have a ceo sticking their dicks in the football side of things the moment the dramas start.

Absolute stupidity from a ceo to come out saying the shit about 2 premierships by 2019. Puts pressure on the whole football department.

So she said with hasler they want to win 2 comps by 2019 now concedes that's unrealistic yet wants to extend haslers contract... righhhhhttttt.

She's a complete fail. If you fuck up being a ceo to one of the biggest clubs in the nrl then it really does show shes way out of her depth
Yh i said at the time that making these goals public was a terrible call, said if we don't reach these goals there should be mass sackings...people said i was being silly haha

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Of course that goal was unrealistic, stupid ***** had to go and make it public... Whats worse is now the inept bitch has now said that its "unrealistic"... Us fans can say we won't win, but club figures can't say that shit publicly. Pretty much stated she has no faith in the club, coach and roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.