Not open for further replies.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
So 1 out from 8 is good but dogs in the 8 is shit lol just had to say it.
Depends on your roster. Tigers on paper have 1 of the worst 3 rosters in the NRL so they overachieved. We have 1 of the best 3 rosters so we underachieved.

Last edited:

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
whats the all the wanking over Cleary? he was sacked from his last coaching gig cos he was shit

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
whats the all the wanking over Cleary? he was sacked from his last coaching gig cos he was shit
As i said in another post i think some are so desparate to get rid of des etc that they haven't really thought the next bit through.

Ivan Cleary may be a great coach, but i'm yet to be convinced. And no, the "anything is better than what we have" reasoning doesn't do it for me.

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a good article about Des.
Simple, direct and honest.

We are in a mess.
The 'structure' is awful to watch and most of all we are not winning.
So bad that we cannot tell whether its the structure or the players.

"Is this the worst set of 6 in NRL History?"
"They have the weakest six, seven and nine combination in the top eight and it was Hasler who hand picked Josh Reynolds, Moses Mbye and Michael Lichaa to take this team into the future." (but is this the players and/or the structure?)

Will Des be our coach in 2017?

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Y
It is a good article about Des.
Simple, direct and honest.

We are in a mess.
The 'structure' is awful to watch and most of all we are not winning.
So bad that we cannot tell whether its the structure or the players.

"Is this the worst set of 6 in NRL History?"
"They have the weakest six, seven and nine combination in the top eight and it was Hasler who hand picked Josh Reynolds, Moses Mbye and Michael Lichaa to take this team into the future." (but is this the players and/or the structure?)

Will Des be our coach in 2017?
Yes he will.

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why pay $1m + per season for a coach (Hasler), who scrapes your team into the 8 and plays the most boring footy ever to be seen, when you can spend less than half for the same results?

CB1935

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No extension yet, but contract talks have opened.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...9/news-story/0bb5f27401ae8726b0efd37dc4621930

Despite claims from Bulldogs legend Terry Lamb that Hasler doesn’t understand the club’s much revered culture, Canterbury CEO Raelene Castle is deep in negotiations to keep the 55-year-old at Belmore until the end the of 2019.

[Culture is nothing obviously, and premierships aren't a priority! ]

If Hasler, who is off contract at the end of next season, agrees to the new deal he will have spent eight years at the helm of the Dogs, one of the longest stints in the club’s 81-year history.

[ ... and going backwards in every area ]

Castle said “Des has brought a significant level of professionalism to the Bulldogs and continues to demand success in line with our strategic plan.”

[Strategic plan? LOL, how's that going?]

News of a contract extension at Canterbury comes after speculation the former premiership-winning mentor was under pressure and that some board members at the club had wanted contract talks to be placed on hold until they saw improvement and a greater focus on junior development.

However, Castle said these suggestions were nothing but “rumour”.

“That’s absolutely not correct,” she said.

“I’m not sure where that has come from, but it’s not that’s not correct.

[ How absurd to demand improvement, recruitment and development! ]

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
End of 2017
Extension talks to 2019 on hold.
Hope you are right. I would be livid if he'd been extended before we confirmed a top 4 spot. Which we did not. For me nothing short of winning the GF should trigger an extension, especially from this dismal position. And that's not going to happen.

Nor is another GF appearance, but if the miracle happens, I'd tolerate the extension which the raelene and the board seem to so desperately want.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Taylor has done a good job this year. His team finished 1 win out of the 8.
only because other teams were shit or caught salary cap cheating

they lost to newcastle tbh, that cost them plus getting pumped when their season was on the line 10-40 and 10-52

they have the second worst defence and we scored more points than them, so i insist he is shit

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

they lost to newcastle tbh, that cost them plus getting pumped when their season was on the line 10-40 and 10-52

they have the second worst defence and we scored more points than them, so i insist he is shit
The Tigers have 4 players only that would make our starting 13. They have 1 of the worst 3 rosters in the NRL. On paper they should've never finished above Souths, Warriors, Roosters, Manly and the Dragons. He did a good job this year.

CB1935

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Alot of games we REALLY struggled to put struggling teams away, and we could have lost a few which would have put us out of the 8.

Tedesco makes a big difference.
Roosters and Souths hit form at the wrong end. If they hit their straps earlier, we would have missed the 8 easily.
And Parra, with their salary cap and player dramas - showed more spirit and entertainment then us.

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Alot of games we REALLY struggled to put struggling teams away, and we could have lost a few which would have put us out of the 8.

Tedesco makes a big difference.
Roosters and Souths hit form at the wrong end. If they hit their straps earlier, we would have missed the 8 easily.
And Parra, with their salary cap and player dramas - showed more spirit and entertainment then us.
And we had a very good year with injuries, which usually determines if you make the 8 or not..

CB1935

Kennel Established
Reaction score
And we had a very good year with injuries, which usually determines if you make the 8 or not..
And we have regressed.
Next year, we won't be so lucky. And Hasler has not changed the "structure/plan" for years, so nothing gives me any confidence we will see a different look next year. Teams get better, we get worse.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Hope you are right. I would be livid if he'd been extended before we confirmed a top 4 spot. Which we did not. For me nothing short of winning the GF should trigger an extension, especially from this dismal position. And that's not going to happen.

Nor is another GF appearance, but if the miracle happens, I'd tolerate the extension which the raelene and the board seem to so desperately want.
Thing is if you think back to the West Tigers win which was a good win. Two weeks before we beat Brisbane 40 - 16 then Roosters 24 - 20. Roosters probably better team but they played really well and were at full strength so again good win.

After round 18 the team was equal 3rd (4th on %) playing well.

Then the Cowboys game when the rot set in.
I know we had 3 more wins but the team was very sratchy then the last 3 games against better teams really found them out.

I guess what I think is the wheels have fallen off because of players form, not because the structure became redundant from round 19.

To me who has watched rugby league for 42 years the form of certain players has been totally unacceptable.

Like Williams, Fualolo, Holland, Browne & Mybe falling off one on one tackles.
Mybe kicking the ball dead from 20 & 25 meters out.
He was never going to force a play the ball from that far out. Kick it into touch that way we have a set defence line from a 10m scrum ot put a high ball up and maybe force an error.
Or Tolman making three meter runs.
Tolman, Graham, Fualolo, Browne failing to get over the advantage line.
The handeling errors have been horrendous.
Which I think has forced Des' hand to play an even more conservative boring structure.
The players are more responsible for the form slump than the coaching staff.

Des will wear the responsibility of the team's performance as coaches always do.
However I think he has the right to feel aggrieved by the performance of his players.

I think we lose Sunday based on form, how could we expect any other result.

A loss first week of the finals should not be good enough for the board.
Then the decision has to be made stick with Des and the current squad to 2019 or start the rebuild and remove any expectation of finals football for 2017 & 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.