Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
TLDR Version:

If you don't like the major parties then vote for a minor party and your vote will only go to that minor party.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Here's a couple of things you should know about this election:

1) This is a double dissolution. That means that all senate seats are open to be voted on

2) Senate reforms are now in place. That means that voting has changed. In the past if you put a 1 in a box and left the rest of the boxes out then your vote goes to the party you chose and that party then chooses where your preference votes go to. This means that you could vote 1 for labor and you would actually be voting 1 to labor, 2 to greens, 3 to Bob the Builder party, etc. With the senate reforms when you vote 1 for the party you choose your vote goes to that party and they don't get any other preference votes thrown anywhere else. That means that if you vote 1 for the pirate party above the line then the pirate party will get your vote and the other parties will get nothing.

This is can be a double edged sword. It means that the minor parties are no longer getting seats from unmarked preference. This means if you have a minor party you like then you must vote for them or they will not get anything. This also means that if a large number of people mark 1 next to a minor party then that party will get a lot of seats in the senate and the major parties will lose a lot of seats.
at the end of the day way too many people are too small minded to think passed labor and liberal.
We just need someone in power who doesn't bend over to PC.
I might have to give my vote to one nation this time around?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Who do I vote for if I want faster internet ffs.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
What do you do with the other 4 minutes?
Normally tweet to my followers "Great News, just had my yearly sex!!! #marriedlife"

2) Senate reforms are now in place. That means that voting has changed. In the past if you put a 1 in a box and left the rest of the boxes out then your vote goes to the party you chose and that party then chooses where your preference votes go to. This means that you could vote 1 for labor and you would actually be voting 1 to labor, 2 to greens, 3 to Bob the Builder party, etc. With the senate reforms when you vote 1 for the party you choose your vote goes to that party and they don't get any other preference votes thrown anywhere else. That means that if you vote 1 for the pirate party above the line then the pirate party will get your vote and the other parties will get nothing.
Sorry I have to correct you on this a little (for the record I temp work for the AEC).

It's not to avoid preferences, but rather to allow more granular voting for the voter, without needing to number 1 to 5,000,000,000,000,000 below the line. 6 is required above the line or 12 is all that is required (below the line), and (second preferences) are counted back in the sorting centre - not by AEC staff on election night.

"Vote Saving" provisions allow for the vote to be counted if there is 1 above the line BUT it is with VERY specific guidelines and can easily be considered informal even if there is a small other pencil mark on the page. Vote Savings exist because if 90% of voters marked only a 1 then Senate voting would be voted in by only 10% of the population.

The Commonwealth Legislation (Commonwealth Electoral Act) requires that voters number:
1 to 6 above the line OR
1 to 12 below the line
in order for the vote to be considered formal.

If you do both, BTL takes preference.

This is because being a DD Senate vote, 6th (ATL) and 12th preferences (BTL) may be required to decide Senate positions.

SMH cover this well..

In the past you had to number only one box above the line to vote for the party of your choice.
Now you have to number at least six boxes.

If you want to vote for specific politicians you can still do so by voting below the line.
In the past, to do that meant numbering every single box - which very few people bothered doing.
But now you have to number only your top 12.

The six and 12 numbers are minimums.
The more boxes you number, the more control you exert over where your vote ends up.

And remember - use numbers, not ticks or crosses.

Many people don't realise the amount of work that goes on behind the doors to make an election happen. From high security of the ballot papers (now) to counting and sorting after polls close at 6pm. Tis a great job though, and anyone can put their hand up to work elections (pay is decent too!).

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
at the end of the day way too many people are too small minded to think passed labor and liberal.
We just need someone in power who doesn't bend over to PC.
I might have to give my vote to one nation this time around?
Either One Nation or the LDP depending which way you swing on freedom. Both are lead by people who openly speak their mind without care. Both have pretty similar policies. The real difference is the amount of freedom. For example, One Nation supports gun control but less gun control than we currently have. They support closed borders. They have harsh penalties on drug use but support madicinal mary jane, harsh penalties for politicians frivolous spending, restrictions on foreign sale/lease of Australian land, they support heavy transparency in all areas which generally means that they also support government monitoring but they also want the government to be monitored heavily by independents.

LDP on the other hand support freedom in all aspects. Open borders, right to hunt and use of euthanasia (One Nation also support these but with more restrictions), right to own and carry firearms, decriminalisation of all drugs and legal sale of cannabis, smaller government, less taxes (they're pushing for no taxes at all), privatisation of everything, free trade without restrictions (anyone can sell anything at any time without tax or quality care required), they're against lockout laws and drink limits, they're against sin taxes including taxes on tobacco and alcohol, and they are oppose to any kind of government internet monitoring or filters. They basically want the government to take no part in anything.

The LDP runs off the NAP (Non-Aggressive Principal). This basically means that they have a stance that aggression, assault, murder, etc, should all be chargeable offences but people should be free to do whatever they want as long as it doesn't bring harm to a person or damage their property. So you can drive without a seat belt, ride without a helmet, etc. They also support complete privatisation of the medical industry so people don't have to pay for other people doing something stupid.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Normally tweet to my followers "Great News, just had my yearly sex!!! #marriedlife"

Sorry I have to correct you on this a little (for the record I temp work for the AEC).

It's not to avoid preferences, but rather to allow more granular voting for the voter, without needing to number 1 to 5,000,000,000,000,000 below the line. 6 is required above the line or 12 is all that is required (below the line), and (second preferences) are counted back in the sorting centre - not by AEC staff on election night.

"Vote Saving" provisions allow for the vote to be counted if there is 1 above the line BUT it is with VERY specific guidelines and can easily be considered informal even if there is a small other pencil mark on the page. Vote Savings exist because if 90% of voters marked only a 1 then Senate voting would be voted in by only 10% of the population.

The Commonwealth Legislation (Commonwealth Electoral Act) requires that voters number:
1 to 6 above the line OR
1 to 12 below the line
in order for the vote to be considered formal.

If you do both, BTL takes preference.

This is because being a DD Senate vote, 6th (ATL) and 12th preferences (BTL) may be required to decide Senate positions.

SMH cover this well..

In the past you had to number only one box above the line to vote for the party of your choice.
Now you have to number at least six boxes.

If you want to vote for specific politicians you can still do so by voting below the line.
In the past, to do that meant numbering every single box - which very few people bothered doing.
But now you have to number only your top 12.

The six and 12 numbers are minimums.
The more boxes you number, the more control you exert over where your vote ends up.

And remember - use numbers, not ticks or crosses.

Many people don't realise the amount of work that goes on behind the doors to make an election happen. From high security of the ballot papers (now) to counting and sorting after polls close at 6pm. Tis a great job though, and anyone can put their hand up to work elections (pay is decent too!).
Cheers, I'm generally a bit vague on the details and most sites are very helpful on it as there's a lot of confusing information out there.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ll-cringey-Liberal-Party-Snapchat-filter.html

Why do the youth of today have such a disrespectful approach to the world of politics?
Sure it's a dumb move in the first place, and is open to abuse, but it worries me that the youth of today approach the serious subject of voting, from such a dumb angle.
Also... who thought it was a good idea in the first place!

It's like giving a toddler a loaded gun and hoping they don't shoot someone, even though they do not understand what a gun is and what it can do.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...enate-ballot-paper-logos-20160516-gow37q.html
LOL pretty funny article talking about the various logos on the Senate paper this year. Some of them are .. well... bizzare!!

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The Health Party is one of the most sly parties this election. People see it and think "health, that's good". The party is dedicated to making homoeopathy as a major treatment for illness and a replacement for vaccines. It's borderline criminal.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Postal voted signed and witness here in Singas....
Are there betting markets on the outcome?
~c.
Done same. (Well, not from Singapore) I'm a shift worker, postal vote was sent off last week.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I now know exactly who I am voting for,
There is a clear candidate who knows exactly what this country needs and has the balls to at least put forward policies most are to afraid to.

dogkat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm told The Pirate Party actually scored group R.

Arrrr.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I hate that stupid preference crap.
So if the party I voted number 1 doesn't get in and the overall majority vote my number 2 selection as number 1, doesn't that mean my number 2 selection becomes number 1 because a majority of other voters, voted my number 2 selection?

It doesn't matter I just donkey voted anyway.
Love how they say you have freedom in this country but whe you become an adult, force you to line up like livestock to vote!

Last edited:

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Politics aside, WHO THE FUCK EATS A SAUSAGE SANDWICH LIKE THAT

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The line was soooooo long ffs.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
^^That can be put in the file alongside Tony Abbott's onion incident.

But seriously, as i voted today, two things came to mind.

1. Why, in 2016 are we still voting in person, using paper. And don't give me nonsense about security as firstly, we do much more important and secure things online (pay taxes, do banking etc) and secondly, the paper ballots are very much open to fraud (remember the thousands of missing votes in WA last election?). Online voting, or even having terminals at the polling place would allow a result to be known fairly quickly.

2. A number of parties, large and small have misleading and/or confusing names. Some are pretty straightforward, like the fishers, shooters and farmers (which I assume represent these people), and the bullet train mob (their logo is a train). But: the Health Party are anti-vaxxers. Australian Liberty Alliance tries to pretend they're about some anti-PC/freedom platform, and there is a mob called the Liberal Democrats who I think are just trying to trick people who think they are voting for the Liberal Party (or maybe even the long dead Democrats). And the biggest party of all, the "Liberals" aren't bloody liberal. Perhaps the Sex Party should hook up with the marijuana party - I could go for sex and drugs. Actually if they could find a rock and roll party to hook up with that would be better...

At least the sausages went down a treat. I just closed my eyes and thought of Bunnings.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
^^That can be put in the file alongside Tony Abbott's onion incident.

But seriously, as i voted today, two things came to mind.

1. Why, in 2016 are we still voting in person, using paper. And don't give me nonsense about security as firstly, we do much more important and secure things online (pay taxes, do banking etc) and secondly, the paper ballots are very much open to fraud (remember the thousands of missing votes in WA last election?). Online voting, or even having terminals at the polling place would allow a result to be known fairly quickly.

2. A number of parties, large and small have misleading and/or confusing names. Some are pretty straightforward, like the fishers, shooters and farmers (which I assume represent these people), and the bullet train mob (their logo is a train). But: the Health Party are anti-vaxxers. Australian Liberty Alliance tries to pretend they're about some anti-PC/freedom platform, and there is a mob called the Liberal Democrats who I think are just trying to trick people who think they are voting for the Liberal Party (or maybe even the long dead Democrats). And the biggest party of all, the "Liberals" aren't bloody liberal. Perhaps the Sex Party should hook up with the marijuana party - I could go for sex and drugs. Actually if they could find a rock and roll party to hook up with that would be better...

At least the sausages went down a treat. I just closed my eyes and thought of Bunnings.
Lol@closed your eyes and thought of Bunnings.
Btw you're right with everything else you've said and obviously the voting system is corrupt.
Another thing they give you that big piece of paper just to confuse you I'm sure?

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Electronic voting is way easier to compromise. It isn't that much of a hassle to do it in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.