The NRL Rookie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
how rubbish is that NRL rookie show? On channel 9 with MG and Adrian lamb plus freddy Fittler?

They torture those young kids for a sniff at the NRL but realistically they are all shit players.

How would piggy riddell or George rose go with those ridiculous challenges? They had a career in NRL and didn't ever jump off buildings or do a flying fox while passing a footy

Players like clint gutherson or half the Newcastle team get a run in the NRL without being tortured

Also Adrian lam, what would he know about footy? Come on.

MG loves to see theM Bop each other over the head like barbarians.

Reality is no matter if these kids can complete these silly challenges, if they can't tackle or slow speed they will never make it.

Shit show?

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I dunno why anyone would have assumed it would be anything but shit.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
how rubbish is that NRL rookie show? On channel 9 with MG and Adrian lamb plus freddy Fittler?

They torture those young kids for a sniff at the NRL but realistically they are all shit players.

How would piggy riddell or George rose go with those ridiculous challenges? They had a career in NRL and didn't ever jump off buildings or do a flying fox while passing a footy

Players like clint gutherson or half the Newcastle team get a run in the NRL without being tortured

Also Adrian lam, what would he know about footy? Come on.

MG loves to see theM Bop each other over the head like barbarians.

Reality is no matter if these kids can complete these silly challenges, if they can't tackle or slow speed they will never make it.

Shit show?
The challenges are to seperate those who are mentally tough and those who are mentally weak and nothing to do with skill, just a shame that its probs scripted.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Have not watched it since the first episode and only did that online.

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL think Elias just did it that much quicker than Royce... i cant stand him and hes not that good a player...he will be next 2 go i reckon!

touch teams are hard to beat...specially on sand!

its a bit of a gee up anyway...not sure how the rookies have won any of their matches....
Those touch players are elite sportsmen in their own right. They have much more speed, agility and skill but obviously lack the size and strength to play league.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Those touch players are elite sportsmen in their own right. They have much more speed, agility and skill but obviously lack the size and strength to play league.
Hence the reason they have more speed and agility because there not required to bulk up, example tim Lafai, remember how good of footwork and step he had when he first made first grade! Now he is a big unit but slow and lost all agility!

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Elias Power needs to fuck right off out of this program ASAP..

Comes across as an even bigger **** than normal in episode 6.
I watched it the other night & wanted to smash his head in.

He thinks he's the best & he's not.

Watching a whole 2 episodes, I have guessed which 'rookie' is going to be booted off, I could tell by what Fittler etc said about them.

Also next weeks episode, what has putting out fucking fires got to do with football etc.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I watched it the other night & wanted to smash his head in. He thinks he's the best & he's not.
Watching a whole 2 episodes, I have guessed which 'rookie' is going to be booted off, I could tell by what Fittler etc said about them.
Also next weeks episode, what has putting out fucking fires got to do with football etc.
Yeah, that's it exactly... and this week was the worst he has been. If he gets to the finals he head won't fit in ANZ Stadium.

He talks like he's better than everyone else, and already at a Corey Parker level in the game, and everyone else is just crap. Reality is the bloke is not even a league player, he plays union at the moment.

I think next week is testing determination under pressure. At first I was like "WTF do these tests have to do with NRL", but I think they are each targeting specific qualities the show producers believe an NRL player needs.

As for the remaining guys.

Chris Hyde 27 Australia NSW Macquarie Scorpions RLC
Gary-John Hill 27 New Zealand WA West Scarborough Rugby
Elias Power 25 Australia QLD Easts Tigers Rugby Union
Lou Goodwin 24 Australia NSW Mount Pritchard Mounties RLFC
Reece Joyce 24 New Zealand Waikato Bombay Rugby
Roydon Gillett 24 New Zealand WA North Beach Sea Eagles RLFC
Peter Lee 23 Australia QLD Sunnybank Rugby
Jordan Martin 21 Australia ACT Woden Valley Rams RLFC

Chris Hyde and Gary-John Hill = too old to kick off an NRL career.
Elias Power = getting on but still not too late. Carries a massive ego and that won't work with people better than him.
Lou Goodwin = at 24 should have cracked the Mounties system and currently is not in NSW Cup nor Ron Massey ... injured or promoted? Roosters feeder club.
Reece Joyce & Roydon Gillett = need to start performing consistently. Still time at 24 but need to be brilliant at that age to get a call up.
Peter Lee = 23 so still has lots of time, just not sure what position suits him. Loads of self doubt.
Jordan Martin = Young and already picked up by Mounties this season and playing in their Ron Massey Cup side.

At this stage I reckon Peter Lee or Jordan Martin are going to win. I'm just waiting for the look on Elias's face when he gets told to go.

DoggiesUtd

ps3- DoggiesUtd
Reaction score
Jordan will win!
i just want to know which club gets them?
apparently the winner hasnt even been announced yet...
this was all filmed last year?

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I watched it the other night & wanted to smash his head in.

He thinks he's the best & he's not.

The show is for pure entertainment. None of these guys will make NRL. Would be boring if they showed catching, passing, running and tackling for an hour each week.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Now I see they have series two of the Recruit looking for possible AFL talent. The series one bloke got injured and was subsequently dropped from the clubs roster.

This was how they determined the placement of the player from the first series:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ality-tv-show-the-recruit-20140619-zseqy.html

The AFL has arranged an official draft meeting in September for a reality television program in which the winner is guaranteed a spot on a club's rookie list.

The meeting will be the final episode, shown live, for the Foxtel program The Recruit, in which 50 players are progressively reduced to a final three, with the winner guaranteed a position on a club list as a ''category B'' rookie – the same status as an international player or one recruited from another sport, like ex-steeplechaser Mark Blicavs of Geelong.

The draft is expected to be held on the Wednesday of preliminary final week, with the AFL Commission recently giving approval for the winner to be recruited prior to the national draft through the special meeting, which all clubs are supposed to attend.

The show will be hosted by former Brisbane champion and coach Michael Voss.

The AFL would not confirm, however, that at least one club had given an undertaking to select the winner if there were no other takers. It said it would become apparent during the program how the draft meeting would work.

Sources familiar with the reality show said all 18 clubs would have an opportunity to draft the winner, and some clubs believe there will be a form of bidding system.

Will be interested to see how they do the NRL one. Me, I reckon it is just a gimmick. In my opinion from information I have gleaned from posts here and a check of the rookie website none of them would make it in first grade.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
AFAIK it was filmed this year, but the winner has not been announced/disclosed, and the top 3 at the end filmed 3 different endings depending on the winner (like they do on many shows these days)..

Jordan will win!
i just want to know which club gets them?
apparently the winner hasnt even been announced yet...
this was all filmed last year?
If Jordan wins he's already signed up to Mounties (Roosters feeder club).

DoggiesUtd

ps3- DoggiesUtd
Reaction score
AFAIK it was filmed this year, but the winner has not been announced/disclosed, and the top 3 at the end filmed 3 different endings depending on the winner (like they do on many shows these days)..

If Jordan wins he's already signed up to Mounties (Roosters feeder club).
why do i keep thinking Mounties is canberras feeder club?
is it like half/half i dont get it...

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
why do i keep thinking Mounties is canberras feeder club?
is it like half/half i dont get it...
I always get confused beteen Wyong and Mounties.

I think it's a split feeder club.. they used to align with Panthers but Panthers cut them when they brought own side in.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Mounties has been aligned with Canberra since the NRL cut their QLD Cup ties

Status
Not open for further replies.