Turned a corner, or nothing special?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think much has changed.

We scored all our tries off a running game. We had the confidence to score those tries because the Tigers were a defensive mess.

We couldn't score one try off a fancy kick. When our opposition muscle us up in defence, that's where you are going to need a good kicking game to get you out of strife. And that's where we will be exposed once again.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our team yesterday would have beaten the eels

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The most promising part of yesterdays game for me was the fact that 3 times the Tigers tried fast line speed in defence against us and 3 times we spread the ball wide, once we were awarded a penalty and the second time we scored. Raiders and the Eels both punished our shallow hit ups and nobody during those games showed any initiative or strategy in trying to stop their defensive momentum.

As soon as we showed the Tigers we weren't going to keep battering through the middle if they rushed us, it made them hesitate.

This game will be marked accordingly based on the next 2-3 games in my opinion. If we lose to the Roosters, then it can be argued (quite fairly) that no improvement has been made

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm going to just enjoy the win for a few days before being too analytical.

There is a replay at today on Fox Sports 1 for those who are interested.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
It is too early to say we have turned a corner, but it was a nice display. Sure the tigers looked awful but you can only beat what is in front of you.

Let's hope the boys keep up the confident play.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I saw a couple of decent structured plays and a lot of plays that were pure adlib plays where confident players played what was in front of them.

It was good but it wasn't anything new and it wasn't turning a corner, it was a mixture of decent defence (an improvement on our last few weeks) and the Tigers being a terrible team. If there was any other team out there (except the Knights or Roosters) I don't think we would have won. At least it would have been a lot closer.

We have a long way to go before we look finals ready. It's a start but still a long way off and nothing really special.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Surely the "blind faith" brigade will have to attribute a change in play to all the pressure from the "fairweather gang"? Anyways, until we consistently play better (like yesterday) than we have achieved nothing. Good change yesterday though and you have to give credit to finally listening to constructive criticism and doing something about it.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
It was definitely a step in the right direction .. but just remember how pathetic the tigers online defence was .. it seems we can score long distance tries with greater ease than when we have a set in their 20m zone ?? Id rather measure us against a quality side ... Besides that , there was a lot of positives to take out of that win ..

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just looked like it was more restricted football compared to the first half.

I thought they only got 2 penalties in the second half?

PS I'm not dumb champ, I know if we didn't score doesnt mean we played shit.
The only difference I saw in the second half of yesterday's game was Brown the penalty machine fucking up as per usual.

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
SOO is coming. Pearce will be out to make a point this weekend.
Reckon the game against Easts this week will tell us a lot.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
We have the 5th best attack and 4th best defence and we have under performe. You don't win titles in May

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
We have the 5th best attack and 4th best defence and we have under performe. You don't win titles in May
After close seasons for quiet some time now I think we are seeing a gap forming between 3 groups. Broncs and Cowboys way in front, another group of Melbourne and sharks (refuse to say Parra as they are cheating) and us slipping between the 2nd and 3rd groups. I think those stats although promising don't stand up to too much scrutiny at this stage.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our team yesterday would have beaten the eels
Against the Eels, we would have been penalised out of the game; Phillips' try would have been ruled a knock-on by the bunker, and Reynolds would have been sent from the field. We would have received 40% possession with a 12 man side. Eels are one of the sides the NRL wants to be a success; you only have to see the reaction to their defeat on Friday. I've been listening to Eels fans wailing about a South's forward pass denying them the win. Short term memories what?

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
We did that one in cruise control and probably have more left, it was definitely a more composed effort than the Parra game, probably due to the confidence of playing a softer side.
The trick is taking that confidence into a bell clanger.

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
Turned a corner yes , the corner ?? Not convinced yet . Didnt Sam Perrett go well ? Didnt miss Hoppa that much . Next week will be a test , the chooks pack Napa , Guerra , Cortner , Moe and co will have a point to prove . The omission of Useless Rex made a difference in itself - would be great to get 2 wins in a row

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not really same team, same plays just a different performance like against souths and manly... The difference will come in the consistency.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
Todays attack to me showed that something has changed. We started the season with that sort of attack and then reverted back to 2015 form.

So, in your opinion have we turned a corner in our season today, is it too early to tell, or was today's win a case of a wounded opponent?

I'm hoping today we have turned a corner in our season, but i'd love to see this sort of attack against a top side and see if the same set moves work.
I wouldn't say we've turned the corner but maybe we've poked our head around to see where we need to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.