Canterbury Bulldogs' Josh Morris may miss out on NSW State of Origin team

Status
Not open for further replies.

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Josh Morris is part of the Blues' senior leadership group, but in the strongest indication he will be overlooked for Origin, he has not heard from NSW coach Laurie Daley.

Morris is believed to be on the verge of losing his position this year, with Josh Dugan set to get the nod at right centre.

Daley has been in regular contact with several of the Blues' key players throughout this season – including Aaron Woods, Robbie Farah and Paul Gallen – but less than two weeks from the naming of the team for Origin one, 29-year-old Bulldogs centre Morris still has not heard from the NSW coach.

Selection struggle: Blues centre Josh Morris. Photo: Getty Images

Fairfax Media understands Daley expressed his preferred combination for the Blues' right edge to Australian coach Mal Meninga, who decided to go with Dugan and Blake Ferguson for the one-off Test in Newcastle last Friday night.
Morris, along with many of his Bulldogs teammates, has struggled for form to start 2016 and is now in danger of losing his Blues jersey, despite his unquestionable commitment to the Origin team in recent years.

"I haven't had any dialogue with Laurie," Morris said. "That's up to him whether he wants to call the players or not. I'm more focused about these next three games for the Bulldogs coming up and setting us up for the Origin period."

Waiting for Laurie: NSW centre Josh Morris scores a try during game two of the 2015 series. Photo: Quinn Rooney

While it's still a possibility Morris could be picked on the left wing, it seems certain Daley will opt for Dugan and Ferguson on the right edge, with Parramatta's Michael Jennings at left centre.

The left-wing position is still up for grabs, with Josh Mansour and James Roberts being discussed as potential Origin debutants if Morris is left out.

However, it is Daley's desire to get a ball-playing fullback into his side that is set to see Morris overlooked for Dugan, with Matt Moylan and Lachlan Coote battling it out for the No.1 jersey.

"I'm not too worried. I do know Duges, he's a good bloke," Morris said. "He plays his best football in Origin no matter where he is. He's dynamic and always seems to step up in those types of games. He'll definitely be in the side, it's just a matter of where.

"I'm not going to worry about Origin too much at the moment. I think the next three weeks is important to set up our season.

"We have three Sunday games against three quality teams. If we can come out of that with more wins than losses, we'll set ourselves up well for that Origin period. If I'm playing good football during that period, I'll give myself a chance to make the team."

Morris has been phenomenal for NSW in recent seasons, putting his name in the history books when he picked himself off the deck to chase down Greg Inglis despite suffering a major knee injury just a few seconds earlier.

On the morning of game two last year he was unable to walk because of a neck injury. However, he battled through the pain to help NSW level the series at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

Perhaps his finest contribution has been the way in which he has shut down Inglis.

"I think they probably will put Greg back to the centres," Morris said of the Queensland team. "Someone has to do a job on him, whether it's me or Duges or any other person there that puts their hand up. I'm sure they won't let anyone down."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/canterbury-bulldogs-josh-morris-may-miss-out-on-nsw-state-of-origin-team-20160510-gorxuo.html#ixzz48SAV3A11
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/canterbury-bulldogs-josh-morris-may-miss-out-on-nsw-state-of-origin-team-20160510-gorxuo.html#ixzz48SAJyxb1
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol @ Inglis at centre so someone has to shut him down ! Gentle reminder?

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Come on Laurie give him a go.
Isn't Laurie Daley the same guy who once picked Michael Jennings to play origin despite being relegated to the nsw cup?
I don't know who was at fault there? Daley or Penrith club management?
I mean he was good enough for his state but not his club?

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
club will still be in denial about our form even as our players start losing their positions in rep teams due to piss poor form that stems from our negative style of play

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
J moz has had it I'm afraid to say. He has never been the same since that knee injury a few years ago. There's no way he deserves origin this year.

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Come on Laurie give him a go.
Isn't Laurie Daley the same guy who once picked Michael Jennings to play origin despite being relegated to the nsw cup?
I don't know who was at fault there? Daley or Penrith club management?
I mean he was good enough for his state but not his club?
That was Ricky Stuart who picked Jennings from nsw cup. Josh hasn't been the same for a while. Let's hope Brett isn't the same once he comes back.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They dont need him to shut down GI anymore, GIs knee has done that already. Anyway he is hardly playing good enough footy to be in our team let alone NSW.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I cant believe blake ferguson automatically getting picked for all these rep teams hes not playing that well

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Most people feel that both Morris' have more care about origin than their club football which is a shame.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Both Morris boys will be gutted to miss out on Origin. They have shown over the years Origin means far more to them than club footy... With all that cash involved who can blame them ?

Lol @ him saying he doesn't care, you know he gets zero sleep at night worrying about his spot.

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fingerson's form has been masked by a poor start from the Roosters, they lost every game for nearly 2 months..

He's a big, fast, mobile guy who gets involved and is a great finisher. Exactly the type of winger we need at origin level.

Who better to give the big preverbial bird to queensland, whether they're consenting or not.

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Morris would do the job in Origin I have not doubt. But I think there are better options at the moment. In saying that I would have different players in a lot of the other positions including Ennis over Farrah going on this years form.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Morris is too slow now and dips into plodder form far too regularly.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I cant believe blake ferguson automatically getting picked for all these rep teams hes not playing that well
Daley is picking Fingersin because he wants one stuck up Qld.

Morris's origin days are over unless his form picks up. If he gets picked it's exactly what the problem with NSW is (picking favourites rather than the best players at the times).

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Morris actually steps up in origin. I've seen him score some freakish tries that ive never seen hom score for us.

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Awesome news.

Status
Not open for further replies.