Bulldogs want Des Hasler to stay on as coach until at least 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue47

Waterboy
Reaction score
A selection of halves that have been and gone on the market during Des' tenure - A Milford,J Thurston,J.Soward,C.Norman,K.Foran,D.Cherry-Evans,J Maloney,C.Townsend,A.Reynolds,A.Sezer,B.Austin , the list goes on.Worst thing to happen to Dogs was Reynolds and Hodkinson were selected for SOO.They are both highly over rated and we wasted years trying to develop a style around them.The experiment has failed miserably and there is nowhere else to turn.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
To be fair Thurston, Norman, DCE, Reynolds never left who they were with being off contract. Norman left Broncs in 2013 I think?

Milford was never a real option (home sick/mega bucks).

Soward would of lost us as many fans as Williams has.

We went for Foran and were unable to compete with the cheating offers from Parra.

Townsend wasn't anyone that was screaming to be signed. He has played well for Sharks this year though hardly would be a game changer. He has an amazing squad around him. Maloney in my opinion is the major addition with Barba finding form with Ennis and a good forward pack and backs with speed.

Sezer is said to have bad history with the club after his previous exit.

Maloney and Austin are two I believe would of been genuine options and should of been heavily looked at. That said Austin is comparable to J Reynolds in form and really wouldn't change the game for us.

Maloney would of been ideal. Outstanding kicking game, passing game, proven to handle pressure, experienced and can organize.

Funny how things turn out, if we could have our time again I'd be pretty confident they would of thrown T Rashs (Williams) money at him with whatever they offered just to beat the cheating offer Parra landed him on.

We obviously need to do something though there isn't any outstanding options.

My objectives would be lock up Klemmer, Jackson.

Have a chat with Cronk (doubt he will leave Storm) Maybe sound Brooks out.

Sign a back with some speed and strength, I'd really go hard for Mansour though other options from Storm (Vunivalu, Tonumaipea, Kennar) all off contract and wouldn't be on much. If no luck there go to Maumalo from Warriors or Justin O'Neil from Cowboys. Jennings brothers from Panthers. Hymel Hunt from Bunnies.

Sound out Ethan Lowe while your at it Ma'u, Kenny Edwards etc see if they want a big pay increase.

None of these work then your next options for the year after have plenty of talent off contract in backs, forwards, halfs:-

Alex Glenn, Corey Oates, James Roberts, Ben Barba, Valentine Holmes, Ashley Taylor, Trobjevic bro's, Cameron Munster, Shaun Johnson, Ben Matulino, Dane Gagai, Taumaolo, Kenny Edwards, Foran, Ma'u, Moeroa, Takarairangi, Waqa Blake, Latu, DWZ, A Reynolds, Dugan, Hastings, Pearce, Fingerson, Guerra, Napa, JWH, Taukeiaho, Tupou, Tedesco, Thurston, Nofaluma, Rankin, Simona, Sironen.

Last edited:

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
People need to realise that employing a new coach is a greater risk of jeopardising a Premiership campaign than it is to keep Des.

There are structures in place which take years to condition, for both the players and staff. You don't just replace that with a clean sweep and think things will change overnight.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the tactics Des is employing either - but I'm not naive enough to think that replacing him will gain all the results our arm chair fans think it will overnight. It's a toss of a coin, and considering how rare it is to find a good coach these days - you better be certain that a new coach is going to deliver results or else we are in for an even longer Premiership drought.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I think Des is a good coach, one of the better ones around.

I just don't think things are right with our club. Both our current roster and above.

We have had things blow up that are both our staff's poor decisions and unlucky circumstances we don't control.

Barba farked us.

Foran signed with a club cheating the cap and paid stupid overs.

Williams contract has been a disaster.

Pritchard & Ennis both were moves made that most would of felt the smarter options due to age and the fact they likely have a year or 2 of quality football left. Though we still have players like Williams we would rather see moved on.

Lichaa & Morris have both been hit with injuries.

I think we need to shake up the playing style quite obviously though that said we don't have that dominate halfback. Reynolds has stepped up this year and has put some quality games together. He still is not and never will be a halfback. Mbye certainly doesn't look like one either.

Our best attacking weapon hasn't played this year.

We have a dud getting paid stupid money who does fark all and hopefully is gone mid season or at worst end of year in Williams.

pupmichelle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dorothy has been the worst signing since the turn of the century. "Des"

Brett Morris signing has been a failure, due to his injury issues. (Past and present) I am sure if he was signed as a winger and not a fullback he would more than likely pump out 20 games per year and be more effective.
I totally blame Des for misusing and shortening Brett's career in a demanding position, which Brett is not built for.

Des made it clear Mbye is our future though the kid has been shifted into the 3rd row.

We need to clear out;
Dorothy
Eastwood
Perrett
Tolman or Graham

We require;
- Genuine fullback (7 days a week)
- 2 x back rowers
- A coach who will allow Reynolds & Mbye play and dictate like a 6 & 7
- rotating hookers

1. ?
2. Rona
3. Jmoz
4. Hopoate
5. Bmoz
6. Reynolds
7. Mbye
8. Graham/Tolman
9. Lichaa
10. Klemmer
11. RFM
12. ?
13. Jackson

14. Kasiano
15. Browne
16. ?
17. ?

What's available? Segeyaro, Kodi Nikorima, Tamou, Gillett, Bukuya, Tagataese, Ethan Lowe.

No available FB's though you would be hoping Abbey is all juiced up by the start of 2017

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
A selection of halves that have been and gone on the market during Des' tenure - A Milford,J Thurston,J.Soward,C.Norman,K.Foran,D.Cherry-Evans,J Maloney,C.Townsend,A.Reynolds,A.Sezer,B.Austin , the list goes on.Worst thing to happen to Dogs was Reynolds and Hodkinson were selected for SOO.They are both highly over rated and we wasted years trying to develop a style around them.The experiment has failed miserably and there is nowhere else to turn.
It's funny you say hodko and reynolds were the worst thingbut that's the only halves pair that won the series in 10 years
Dorothy has been the worst signing since the turn of the century. "Des"

Brett Morris signing has been a failure, due to his injury issues. (Past and present) I am sure if he was signed as a winger and not a fullback he would more than likely pump out 20 games per year and be more effective.
I totally blame Des for misusing and shortening Brett's career in a demanding position, which Brett is not built for.

Des made it clear Mbye is our future though the kid has been shifted into the 3rd row.

We need to clear out;
Dorothy
Eastwood
Perrett
Tolman or Graham

We require;
- Genuine fullback (7 days a week)
- 2 x back rowers
- A coach who will allow Reynolds & Mbye play and dictate like a 6 & 7
- rotating hookers

1. ?
2. Rona
3. Jmoz
4. Hopoate
5. Bmoz
6. Reynolds
7. Mbye
8. Graham/Tolman
9. Lichaa
10. Klemmer
11. RFM
12. ?
13. Jackson

14. Kasiano
15. Browne
16. ?
17. ?

What's available? Segeyaro, Kodi Nikorima, Tamou, Gillett, Bukuya, Tagataese, Ethan Lowe.

No available FB's though you would be hoping Abbey is all juiced up by the start of 2017
you picked brown over eastwood.
I'll have eastwood any day

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
People need to realise that employing a new coach is a greater risk of jeopardising a Premiership campaign than it is to keep Des.

There are structures in place which take years to condition, for both the players and staff. You don't just replace that with a clean sweep and think things will change overnight.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the tactics Des is employing either - but I'm not naive enough to think that replacing him will gain all the results our arm chair fans think it will overnight. It's a toss of a coin, and considering how rare it is to find a good coach these days - you better be certain that a new coach is going to deliver results or else we are in for an even longer Premiership drought.
Can't agree with this. The last 3 premiers all had coaches at their clubs for 2 years or less.

pupmichelle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's funny you say hodko and reynolds were the worst thingbut that's the only halves pair that won the series in 10 years

you picked brown over eastwood.
I'll have eastwood any day
Browne is on minimum while Eastwood is on very good $$$
You can't have big $ players sitting on the bench as there is a salary cap, unless your Parra

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I actually think its awesome that baa spoke up like he did as its out in the open and hopefully des wakes up and starts addressing some of his issues

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone defending Des and his gang has either no idea about football or no real love for this club or possibly both........

watching Des and the Manly free loaders destroy our club is like watching your best mate or family member get in to a relationship with someone who is a total **** and ruining their lives but they are blinded and cant see it.....yet everyone else can

Blue47

Waterboy
Reaction score

Honestly most coaches have a use by date where their methods lose their effectiveness with that particular group of players.Three or four years max and that is it.If a coach has not won you a premiership in his first three years , then the chances of it happening later on are getting slimmer by the day.People will mention Bellamy or Bennett and Hasler at Manly but they all won within the fourth year at those clubs.It's time to move on to some fresh ideas.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

No one claims that by ousting Hasler our problems will be resolved overnight.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Green Cowboys - 2 years, Maguire Souths - 3 years, Trent Robinson Roosters - 1 year, Bennett Dragons - 2 years.

Our best year under Des was his first year.

tyl0r

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Tony Williams signing was very unfortunate. When we signed him he was a wrecking ball, NSW and AUS rep. He comes here and for some reason he hasn't reached those heights again. You could not forsee that happening...

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love it how people on here just make assumption and pull $$ out of their backsides...

I know it's a discussion forum but when people say stupid shit and declare it as fact, well, that's how silly rumours start.

People forgot that when we signed Trex he was an origin and Australian Rep, he was considered as one of the most damaging runners with the ball.

Milford, DCE, and Thurston, Norman were absolutely no chance of signing with anybody else. (how many of you would have been winning if we offered DCE the same as Manly).

Foran, well Parra just basically cheated...that's the same as Milford to an extent with Wayne Bennett and the Broncos.

Soward??? Are you freggin Serious?? That's the last thing I want in the blue and white.

Sezer, well you can thank Greenburg for that one, I have said it here years ago that this will come back to bite us in the arse, and it did. Some people said that he had an attitude, his attitude was that he is ready to play, he said that he was better than the combination that we had and because of that Greenburg decided not to sign him... S Mort is still pissed about that till today.

Beast is not on top $$.

Brett Morris was signed up as a full back... He wanted to play full back.. To say that Des cut his career short is stupid statement in itself...

Lichaa is a great player, he just is just wasted in tackling his heart out.

We need to get rid of Trex (for obvious reasons) JR (he tries his heart out, but he lacks talent) Toleman and Browne and maybe Sam P.

Once fit, I think our backline should be:
Abbey
2xMorris
Hoppa & Ronna

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Green Cowboys - 2 years, Maguire Souths - 3 years, Trent Robinson Roosters - 1 year, Bennett Dragons - 2 years.

Our best year under Des was his first year.
This shows u that its time for des to go as he's become stale if u don't win a premiership within 3 yrs then it becomes harder to win a competition

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Logical post.

I tend to agree with you in relation to analysis of the structures, but then that just depressed me even more.

The structures we now have in place have been drummed into the players hearts and minds for the last four years ad nauseum and they would now be difficult to 'unlearn'.

Much like an animal that has been mistreated; its reaction to anything different other than the cruelty of its current owner is with it for a long time after an ownership change, that is if it can ever recover .
That may not be an ideal analogy but the only one I could think of. ( I apologize if that offends)

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This shows u that its time for des to go as he's become stale if u don't win a premiership within 3 yrs then it becomes harder to win a competition
Took Des 4 years to win his first, but he made the GF the year before and then won it the year after finishing top 4 both years. Took Bellamy 5 years but he got help from having no salary cap and also was in the previous years Grand Final.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Logical post.

I tend to agree with you in relation to analysis of the structures, but then that just depressed me even more.

The structures we now have in place have been drummed into the players hearts and minds for the last four years ad nauseum and they would now be difficult to 'unlearn'.

Much like an animal that has been mistreated; its reaction to anything different other than the cruelty of its current owner is with it for a long time after an ownership change, that is if it can ever recover .
That may not be an ideal analogy but the only one I could think of. ( I apologize if that offends)

Great post and you hit the nail on the head perfectly. Go back and watch round 1 against Manly when we actually had the forwards playing as forwards and Mbye and Reynolds controlling the game. Now watch James Graham closely. He looked so lost out there not playing his natural distribution game. He would hit the ball up and stutter for a second because not passing the ball out the back was so foreign to him. And that is because for the previous 4 years it has been drummed in to him to play Des structured forward game.
And even against Parra, the whole team looked lost out there in the 2nd half, their natural instincts as footballers has been taken away from them. Its time for a change of leadership and Des needs to be replaced and hopefully by Dymock.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Took Des 4 years to win his first, but he made the GF the year before and then won it the year after finishing top 4 both years. Took Bellamy 5 years but he got help from having no salary cap and also was in the previous years Grand Final.

But Bellamy's storm never played forward based play like Des, and Bellamy unlike Des, changes his game plan every week to suit the opposition they are playing, and he did that to a tee in the 2012 GF when he outcoached DES and nullified our attack by instructing his outside backs to rush up on us whole game. was so simple and yet so effective. If hasler had a fucking clue, he should have told Keating and Reynolds to put the kick behind the line and that way it would have put the outside backs in 2 minds and they wouldnt have rushed up and would have created more room for BArba to weave his magic.
Even Haslers manly team didnt have the structures we play now. They played free flowing footy in the conventional method.

Status
Not open for further replies.