Attracting New players

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The idea of having halves playing in the halves is quite scary after 4 years of tolman and graham. Imagine having a back play on the 4th tackle, that is a dream , actually it's been that long it will be a wet dream
I have seriously forgotten what that looks like in a Dogs jersey

last time was probably Kimmorley

Bluewhite93

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I have seriously forgotten what that looks like in a Dogs jersey

last time was probably Kimmorley
Farrrrrk do u remember kimmorely's kicking game , and the way he used to chase his own kicks. I miss having halves

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I remember when everyone was linked to our club, we never ended up signing any of them.
We are one of only a few clubs that is financially very well off (primarily due to our leagues club) so the usual suspects (Bulldogs & Roosters) are "linked" to every off contract player in a bid to get more dollars.. But more importantly, I remember when those links were often true and we got our man. When you think about it, most of the players that have made a "Best Bulldogs" team over the years all played at some stage in our junior ranks.. Maybe there's something to it? I can't recall someone coming over from another club who was a marquee guy making a mark outside of maybe Nigel Vagana, Mark Omeley, Daryl Haligan, Luke Patten and the Morris Twins

Last edited:

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
All the talk of replacing Hasler with a new coach in the media now won't be doing our recruitment much good. While there are players we all would be happy to see if another team there are a few who are not signed sealed and delivered yet in Jackson Klem and Mbye. I see Moses as our long term 5/8 just need a half. Now the media have gotten wind to this I feel it'll be hard for us to attract a halfback. Not saying a new coach wouldn't be good just the timing would hamper is getting a half if it's dragged out all year and left unknown who's coaching until off season. We need to make a massive play for Cronk.
That would imply that we actually do any recruitment!!!

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I'm only guessing mate but I'm pretty sure any players with options aren't coming to the dogs anyway. I would say the players talk and know exactly what to expect from Des and that's restraint and robotic non gameplans. Trying to think of whose game has improved under Des...maybe Hoppa? Anyways, you wouldn't be doing your value any good being under Des. Who have we signed that's FG in the last 5 years?
*BMoz - only came because of JMoz not Des and for a huge payday knowing he is now injury prone.
*Hoppa who although is playing well had no other options and goes missing on Sundays to howl at the moon.
*Rona - Just blind luck
*She-rex - do I need to say anything here?
I'm out.........

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Farrrrrk do u remember kimmorely's kicking game , and the way he used to chase his own kicks. I miss having halves
That incredible Bulldogs team in the mid 2000's not only had one of the best forward packs ever to be assembled but had two halves with exceptional kicking games that complimented their engine room. Sherwin and Anasta had fantastic control, vision and creativity, but more importantly, deft kicks. This is what enabled us to win a grand final in that era. The heavy dynamic of Players that came through our ranks (Anasta, Sherwin, Utai, Asotasi, Mason, SBW, C Hughes and co.) certainly didn't hurt either! And think in recent times we've lost juniors in the calibre of Sezer, Finucane, Barba, Tapau, Milner-Skudder..to name but few. Young blokes who enter our junior ranks are taught very early the clubs passionate history and ethics. Probably something that we should be looking To focus on again..

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That incredible Bulldogs team in the mid 2000's not only had one of the best forward packs ever to be assembled but had two halves with exceptional kicking games that complimented their engine room. Sherwin and Anasta had fantastic control, vision and creativity, but more importantly, deft kicks. This is what enabled us to win a grand final in that era. The heavy dynamic of Players that came through our ranks (Anasta, Sherwin, Utai, Asotasi, Mason, SBW, C Hughes and co.) certainly didn't hurt either! And think in recent times we've lost juniors in the calibre of Sezer, Finucane, Barba, Tapau, Milner-Skudder..to name but few. Young blokes who enter our junior ranks are taught very early the clubs passionate history and ethics. Probably something that we should be looking To focus on again..
Our team was so good back then and we still only managed one GF win and people on here think we have a chance with our current squad.

TGN

New Pup
Reaction score
Most players didn't want to come regardless. T-rex is our only major signing since 2013, B.Morris came over because of his brother.

We got hoppa but we had to let him not play Sundays for his signature.
Allowing Hopoate get that clause in his contract will cause disharmony in the team and the Mbye saga is making the club look so weak.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Allowing Hopoate get that clause in his contract will cause disharmony in the team and the Mbye saga is making the club look so weak.
Same with "Tony 600k a year Williams" did. I don't think offering fifita 800k helped either.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Dessie wont unleash his dogs and let them play naturally. He makes his dogs walk his way, and if they don't he chokes them into obedience. He never lets his dogs off the leash. The dogs are restricted by their master, and they need more free reign to play like dogs play, and to fight like dogs fight. Unleash the Dogs of War. Dogs from all around talk and know Des is a strict master and they fear being adopted by him, that's why we only get strays.

Last edited:

marsh43

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim Dymock for headcoach, Brooks/fcuking anyone to halfback, Mbye to 6, Tolman to Lock (Fensom 2.0), Eastwood in frontrow rotation with Graham/Klemmer/Kasiano, Faitala-Mariner starting, Garvey on bench with atleast 30mins game time, use all 4 bench players.

GRKDOG

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm only guessing mate but I'm pretty sure any players with options aren't coming to the dogs anyway. I would say the players talk and know exactly what to expect from Des and that's restraint and robotic non gameplans. Trying to think of whose game has improved under Des...maybe Hoppa? Anyways, you wouldn't be doing your value any good being under Des. Who have we signed that's FG in the last 5 years?
*BMoz - only came because of JMoz not Des and for a huge payday knowing he is now injury prone.
*Hoppa who although is playing well had no other options and goes missing on Sundays to howl at the moon.
*Rona - Just blind luck
I'm out.........
The storm wanted Hoppa and even agreed to his Sunday clause as well

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
We are one of only a few clubs that is financially very well off (primarily due to our leagues club) so the usual suspects (Bulldogs & Roosters) are "linked" to every off contract player in a bid to get more dollars.. But more importantly, I remember when those links were often true and we got our man. When you think about it, most of the players that have made a "Best Bulldogs" team over the years all played at some stage in our junior ranks.. Maybe there's something to it? I can't recall someone coming over from another club who was a marquee guy making a mark outside of maybe Nigel Vagana, Mark Omeley, Daryl Haligan, Luke Patten and the Morris Twins
I'd say Ennis and Hannant were marquee signings at the time and from the old days, Jonathan Davies and Gary Connelly were marquee signings who definitely made their mark.

I get where you're coming from though and it is a good point, most of our key guys have been developed from within.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
*Rona - Just blind luck
I'm out.........
Time people realised what is holding back the clubs recruitment. The money is not the concern. The concern is that Hasler never improves a player and accordingly no one wants to play for him.
Time fr him to be moved on.

TGN

New Pup
Reaction score
All the talk of replacing Hasler with a new coach in the media now won't be doing our recruitment much good. While there are players we all would be happy to see if another team there are a few who are not signed sealed and delivered yet in Jackson Klem and Mbye. I see Moses as our long term 5/8 just need a half. Now the media have gotten wind to this I feel it'll be hard for us to attract a halfback. Not saying a new coach wouldn't be good just the timing would hamper is getting a half if it's dragged out all year and left unknown who's coaching until off season. We need to make a massive play for Cronk.

TGN

New Pup
Reaction score
We have bought ageing players before and in my opinion it doesnt work and need to foster our juniors more and to me Mbye is much over rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.