Surrendering on the 5th Tackle

Status
Not open for further replies.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not a fan of this rubbish we do week in week out

Its up to the halves to step up and take advantage of good field position and if they cant they should try for a repeat set

1st half Morris surrenders 5 metes out on 5th tackle and Roberts kicks a 40/20 next set
Its a complete waste of great field position

The commentators reckon its a tactic to avoid kicking the ball dead, its a terrible strategy if it is deliberate and needs to be scrapped asap

Scrap this and TRex and scrap the idea of not allowing our 5/8 and halfback to link up

Last edited:

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
it is a good option only if we belt the hell out of opposition in next set when they get the ball.

but we stand like 15 m away from opposition and get rag dolled when making a tackle.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
From the games I watched a lot of teams seem to be doing it more than I can recall in the past. And it's annoying when we do as its low percentage stuff.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I can't fathom how we are shit scared to grubber kick because of 7 tackles, yet our clearing kicks hit the, on the full and they start on the 40 anyways.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Extremely annoying when u do it, defend like a pack of dogs, keep the opposition down deep in their half then let someone kick a 40/20.

What is even better is when they do put an attacking kick in the opposition scores off it.. some serious issues with this team trying to get the ball into the in goal.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
From the games I watched a lot of teams seem to be doing it more than I can recall in the past. And it's annoying when we do as its low percentage stuff.
What does my head is is that we take the most negative options with the ball 99% of the time, and then the other 1% we take the nost ridiculous risks lol

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I can't fathom how we are shit scared to grubber kick because of 7 tackles, yet our clearing kicks hit the, on the full and they start on the 40 anyways.
It would be interesting to see how many 20m restarts there are per game since they made in 7 tackles and brought in the quick restart v how it was before.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
or the opposition score of our bat backs of cross field kicks

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Its a ploy to keep the game rolling with minimal play. The longer they play without stoppages, the more it suits us. We just need to start putting points on to take full advantage of it. The time will come.
Its taking the big winger going up for the bomb iut of the lime light. I reckon its a good thing.

wyongguy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
a bit of variety would be nice, I'm not against getting tackled on the fifth but if it happens every play when we are in the opposition ten it's not very hard to defend against knowing a kick isn't coming.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its a great tactic if there is 5 minutes to go and you're leading by 2 points otherwise its a wasted tackle.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
you can see the team has gone completely dumb under this super coach.

99/100 times when high kick is put up and the attacking team chases the ball and taps ilt back , you always find the support players ready for the ball or at least in position so even if they dont get the tap back there is no chance of opposition taking the ball and running 90 m try.

for the first time in a very long time i saw our players going for the high ball, reynolds taps the ball back in no mans land, no mans land cos the dumb fcks probably never even tried this play in the training and we saw what happened afterwards.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I understand the tactic, but I don't agree with wasting atacking opportunities.
I thnk the rule needs changing. If you kick from inside the 20 or are attempting a FG it shouldn't count as a 7 tackle set.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
If anything it shows Des' complete lack of confidence in our short kicking game

Moronic Musings

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand the tactic, but I don't agree with wasting atacking opportunities.
I thnk the rule needs changing. If you kick from inside the 20 or are attempting a FG it shouldn't count as a 7 tackle set.
Absolutely, it creates doubt in a halves' mind, limiting creativity. The intentions of bringing the rule in were great (to minimise negative kicking from deep kicks), but what was an attempt to nullify negative kicking has now caused negative thinking.

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

Its up to the halves to step up and take advantage of good field position and if they cant they should try for a repeat set

1st half Morris surrenders 5 metes out on 5th tackle and Roberts kicks a 40/20 next set

The commentators reckon its a tactic to avoid kicking the ball dead, its a terrible strategy if it is deliberate and needs to be scrapped asap

Scrap this and TRex and scrap the idea of not allowing our 5/8 and halfback to link up
Hi i understand des it tactic as 7 tackle set restart absolutely kills, having said that sometimes I pray for repeat set of six. When teams can get repeat sets it kills the opposition. I'm in two minds giving the ball back is not terrible as the opposition have to grind it back out of trouble. If we have a kicker of jt's ability then yes by all means lets for repeat sets.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Actually it's a smart move for quite a few reasons.

1. On a 7 tackle restart you can get right up field + a kick at end of set gets the opposing side on the back foot.
2. On a 7 tackle set because the ball has gone dead, your defensive line can be split (saw 2 x 20m restart tries from Raiders last week).
3. It puts pressure back on the attacking side.
4. It hands the ball over as close to oppositions try line as possible (depending on circumstances if defence muscles up you can push them back in goal for a dropout).
5. Was anyone paying attention to the try Titans scored after the Reynolds batt back? THIS is why you don't kick on the 5th.

Now to that you also need to take into account:
1. We stand back deep in defence because refs blow penalties deluxe against us for supposide offside.
2. If we tackle and don't wrap the ball up, opposing side offloads and makes more metres.
3. If we tackle and wrap the ball up, opposing player drops the ball cold and ref blows a penalty for a strip.

As such Des is being smart with the 5th tackle option ploy.

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

I'd rather have David klemmer run at me then see us surrender like that

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Actually it's a smart move for quite a few reasons.

1. On a 7 tackle restart you can get right up field + a kick at end of set gets the opposing side on the back foot.
2. On a 7 tackle set because the ball has gone dead, your defensive line can be split (saw 2 x 20m restart tries from Raiders last week).
3. It puts pressure back on the attacking side.
4. It hands the ball over as close to oppositions try line as possible (depending on circumstances if defence muscles up you can push them back in goal for a dropout).
5. Was anyone paying attention to the try Titans scored after the Reynolds batt back? THIS is why you don't kick on the 5th.

Now to that you also need to take into account:
1. We stand back deep in defence because refs blow penalties deluxe against us for supposide offside.
2. If we tackle and don't wrap the ball up, opposing side offloads and makes more metres.
3. If we tackle and wrap the ball up, opposing player drops the ball cold and ref blows a penalty for a strip.

As such Des is being smart with the 5th tackle option ploy.
You've summed it up pretty well; particularly your points about the penalties we concede when we have them trapped in their own 10 metres. Watching the final 10 minutes of today's game, I was blown away by the infringements from the Titans when they had us on our own line - even the Fox commentators were wondering why the penalties for hold downs were not awarded. The Titans had no problems getting penalties when caught on their line. Makes you wonder.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Its not like we die on the last every single set, we did do a few kicks. But when the kick isnt on (ie they are in your face) its not a good idea to force it, so its a good play to turn it over inside their 20 instead of giving them 7 at the 20. While we dont have the scariest last tackle plays going around, we give the ball back to them inside thier 20 nearly every set, and dont give away many 7 tackle sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.