60 Minutes crew arrested after Child Abduction attempt in Lebanon

Status
Not open for further replies.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Alright, here's everything I could find on the story:

The mother was given custody of the children in Australia after a long legal battle between the mother and the father. The mother had custody for several years but the father was still looking to get custody back. The mother claims that the father came to Australia and asked if he could take the children on a holiday to Lebanon. The mother agreed, the father took the children to Lebanon then contacted the mother to let her know that he wouldn't be returning the children. The father then had the Lebanese courts confirm his custody of the children.

The mother made many attempts over a year long period to get lawyers to help recover the children but they all said they couldn't help as Lebanon is not part of the Hague convention. The mother raised a petition to ask the Australian government to help but the Australian government ignored the petition. The mother then went to 60 minutes who gave her money for the story and she used this money to hire a recovery team. The other side of this is that Lebanese officials are reporting that members of the recovery team stated that they received payment directly from 60 minutes. It appears that these members have been released after they made the statement. Read what you want into that.

There's two different reports of what happened next:

A) The father hacked the mother's email and saw all the correspondence on what she was planning. Due to this the authorities were able to stop the operation.

B) The mother called the father after the kidnapping to let him know that the kids were safe and the authorities used this call to trace their location

After this they were all arrested. Now due to a bit of dodgyness in the Lebanese judicial system, the Lebanese foreign minister is pushing to release them while ignoring the charges (apparently this happens often in Lebanon) as the foreign minister has good standing with Australia and doesn't want to cause international problems. The father also publicly stated that he does not want to press charges but reports are that he is still pressing charges. The cousin of mother of the father is the speaker of the house of representatives and they are using their standing in the political system to push for maximum penalty.

That's what is being reported. Obviously there is a lot of mixed reporting and he said/she said so it's hard to tell the total truth of it.
I don't begrudge people for taking all steps to protect their children in the right circumstances. I read Jacqueline Pascarl's book about when she was married to the Malaysian prince and what steps he took to stop her seeing her own kids. As I mentioned before, the more corrupt a place is, the less chance a foreigner has any chance over a local with some sort of influence with the authorities. In circumstances where there is a real danger, parents have had to resort to kidnapping (happens more often than people probably think - remember there are multiple companies around the world offering these services). To be honest, I have no idea on the justification in this situation - but 60 minutes' involvement appears to have certainly made things worse.

If the father just decided to not return the kids, that is extremely shit. He has preyed on the mother's goodwill by allowing them to visit him in Lebanon. Some of course will argue that she should have simply refused to let him take them out of the country in the first place, and they probably have some merit.

Parents using their kids as pawns make me sick (both mothers ans fathers of course).

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
put the father in australian jail and put the mother in lebanese jail for breaking the laws in both countries.

as for the kids, ask them where and with whom they want to live their lives.

case closed!

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
There was an article posted on news.com.au yesterday making the crew look as victimised as possible.

The headline went along the lines of "Tara Brown hand-cuffed and held in a vice-like grip with her head shoved forward".

Aww. Poor Tara Brown. She's a female! How dare they! The Lebanese judicial system is so barbaric, what a backward society.

This is how the media manipulates a story line, the same story line regarding the whole kidnapping case. Who knows what the real story ever is...

Issue aside, I have no sympathy for her or the 60 minutes crew. It's programs like 60 minutes which have lied and fabricated for years, ruined people's lives. Tara Brown is one of the worst culprits. Reap what you sow woman.

Expect a 2 hour special on 120 Minutes when Tara is eventually released - crying and traumatised as she remembers the "horrors of prison in a barbaric so-called third-world war-torn country which is a breeding ground for ISIS and criminal refugees"

Lady Emerald

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was an article posted on news.com.au yesterday making the crew look as victimised as possible.

The headline went along the lines of "Tara Brown hand-cuffed and held in a vice-like grip with her head shoved forward".

Aww. Poor Tara Brown. She's a female! How dare they! The Lebanese judicial system is so barbaric, what a backward society.

This is how the media manipulates a story line, the same story line regarding the whole kidnapping case. Who knows what the real story ever is...

Issue aside, I have no sympathy for her or the 60 minutes crew. It's programs like 60 minutes which have lied and fabricated for years, ruined people's lives. Tara Brown is one of the worst culprits. Reap what you sow woman.

Expect a 2 hour special on 120 Minutes when Tara is eventually released - crying and traumatised as she remembers the "horrors of prison in a barbaric so-called third-world war-torn country which is a breeding ground for ISIS and criminal refugees"[/QUOTE]
Funny you say that. I read an article where she says that the crew are being treated really well in prison and they have no complaints. I wonder why that is? lol

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Funny you say that. I read an article where she says that the crew are being treated really well in prison and they have no complaints. I wonder why that is? lol
All lies...

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe the 60 minutes crew need to smoke a bowl and record something like this. Wow, these guys cant be serious, surely.

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
"Declare everything when you enter Australia, Thanks"
Johnny Depp rehearsing (Blow 2)
Tara Brown needs to take what he's taking. Actually like Mr I and I said before, We will do anything to swap Tracey Grimshaw with Tara. Any day of the week.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
That's like Schapelle Corby. There were plenty of stories about how she was mistreated in prison a lot and apparently sexually assaulted a few times but part of her release agreement was that she wasn't allowed to tell her story and had to say that she was treated well in prison, and if she breaks that agreement then it's a breach of parole.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Maybe the 60 minutes crew need to smoke a bowl and record something like this. Wow, these guys cant be serious, surely.

How much did Customs pay them for that bullshit?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Parents using their kids as pawns make me sick (both mothers ans fathers of course).
these kids should feel good about this though, its much better than my situation when my parents separated

they had a big time custody battle but it was about them both trying to make the other have full custody of me ffs, at least these kids will feel loved

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

It was apparently part of the plea deal, so a lot of humble pie was swallowed by both sides.

The late night hosts in the US have had a field day with it.

Reactions: Izy

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's like Schapelle Corby. There were plenty of stories about how she was mistreated in prison a lot and apparently sexually assaulted a few times but part of her release agreement was that she wasn't allowed to tell her story and had to say that she was treated well in prison, and if she breaks that agreement then it's a breach of parole.
Yeah reanae Lawrence fucked her Witha broom handle and took a dump in her mouth , Mercedes watched on while filling her pouch with sand and fisting herself

Lady Emerald

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably. If you're going to plan something like this, don't do it from your personal email address. It's like robbing a bank and using a getaway car with a license plate "No1crim"
Posted on Courier Mail:

60 Minutes dad knew crew’s every move thanks to secret Beirut network
April 20, 2016 11:07am
Emma Reynoldsnews.com.au

Ali Elamine, pictured at Baabda court with his lawyer Hussein Berjawi, knew what the 60 Minutes crew were up to throughout the saga. Picture: Liam Kidston.
FATHER Ali Elamine was one step ahead of the would-be abductors at every stage of the operation thanks to a secret network across Beirut.

From the moment Tara Brown, her crew and his estranged wife Sally Faulkner stepped off the plane, it’s believed he knew their movements.

He had been reading his spouse’s emails about the planned abduction on her iPad, and had cut off communication to prevent her from tracking him and the children.

When the desperate Brisbane mother arrived in Lebanon, surf school owner Mr Elamine was ready.

The Lebanese-American was rapidly tipped off about her arrival by associates, according to Fairfax Media. In the two days leading up to the botched abduction, a suspicious car was spotted trailing three-year-old Noah and five-year-old Lahela on their way to school.

When Ms Faulkner’s hired recovery agents grabbed the kids off the street on April 7 in the Hadath district — a Hezbollah stronghold — Mr Elamine was inundated with phone calls from the tight-knit southern Beirut Shiite community.

60 Minutes reporter Tara Brown is shoved into a car outside the Lebanese courthouse, as her bail hearing was delayed to tonight. Picture: Marwan Tahtah
That’s when the 32-year-old phoned his estranged wife to check the children were safe, and police used the call to trace and arrest the mother, the agents and the 60 Minutes crew.

The bail hearing was postponed on Monday while lawyers for the different parties try to reach a deal, and Mr Elamine appears to hold the key to the Channel Nine crew’s freedom in his hands.

The Lebanese-American has conveyed mixed messages about how he will use that power, with his lawyer telling journalists he was “in no hurry” to reach an agreement.

Earlier this week, Mr Elamine told News Corp journalists “Channel Nine dropped the ball” and he was inclined to “charge everyone involved”, because “if Sally goes out on bail, they all get out”.

He has insisted he was not interested in money, but Ms Faulkner’s lawyer Ghassan Moghabghab told News Corp: “Everything Ali is doing leads to one conclusion, that he is aiming for money.”

Mr Moghabghab revealed that Mr Elamine had said $250,000 or $350,000 meant nothing to him when it came to his children — suggesting any payout would have to be higher.

The Australian’s Jacquelin Magnay told 2UE radio the well-off Elamine family were likely to want a “big public apology” and “an enormous amount of compensation to repair their respectability”.

Mr Elamine may have something of an axe to grind. He told The Australian he had been portrayed in a bad light by the Australian media, with A Current Affair wrongly portraying him as an Islamic State fighter when covering Ms Faulkner’s story.

He told 3AW’s Neil Mitchell that he would not have been shown any compassion if things were the other way around.

“If the tables were turned and I had shown up in Australia and tried to kidnap someone, I probably would have been shot and called a terrorist,” he said.

emma.reynolds@news.com.au

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
It was apparently part of the plea deal, so a lot of humble pie was swallowed by both sides.

The late night hosts in the US have had a field day with it.
Stephen Colbert killed it.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
..just like you can rape your own wife as per australian law.
Rape is rape. Having a ring on the finger shouldn't and does make it legal or right.

I can't believe you would say "lol" on something like this.
Joking ? I hope ?
@indiandog said that rape was legal in marriages under Australian law , I refuted it and lol'd it because its sounded unbelievable .
I don't know why you guys are so highly strung about it anyway

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
30 years ago in Australia the kids belonged to the father. The mother had no rights. Now the laws have completely switched. The father felt he was left with no option but to do what he did. He didn't kidnap thwm though. His ex gave him permission to take them to Lebanon (On a holiday). Once he was there the rules in Lebanon are on his side so for them to try to kidnap the kids back to Australia was 100% wrong. The 60 minutes crew deserve what happened to them.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why were his children being looked after by their grandmother? Where was he? Great parenting

Status
Not open for further replies.