Dog advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Pet insurance! Believe it or not i never considered this, but thanks for planting the seed in my head.
Ill have a look around some policies , do you think it would cost about the same?

Also do i have to let council know that ive got a rotty?
INSURANCE
There are two main underwriters: Allianz and Hollard Insurance. All companies use one or the other.
Umm the BIG kicker is in the inclusions/exclusions. We found PetPlan (underwritten by Allianz) to have the best inclusions, as they didn't count bilateral conditions as one (so if she does one knee or hip, and then another, we can claim for both, not just one).

REGISTRATION
You should have your registration papers for the pup. First up he needs to be microchipped (if not already) by 12 weeks.
He must also be registered with council by age 6 months.

Most councils you can do it online, but you'll need his microchip number first. Cost is once off in NSW, but other states are yearly amounts. If he is still intact you'll pay more to have him registered. Cost is set by Companion Animals Act and the same throughout NSW council areas. Registration is $52 (desexed) and $192 (intact). We didn't need to register our dog as she was already registered in a NSW council area by the breeder.

Expect to see this coming home one day: https://britbitches.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/1451.jpg LOL

Another thing to do early (maybe not this early though) is crate train him, so he gets used to having a "safe place".

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Pet insurance! Believe it or not i never considered this, but thanks for planting the seed in my head.
Ill have a look around some policies , do you think it would cost about the same?

Also do i have to let council know that ive got a rotty?
You're meant to register your dog with the council i think? I never did it tbh. Waste of money and he is already chipped and all that.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
You're meant to register your dog with the council i think? I never did it tbh. Waste of money and he is already chipped and all that.
If they get out and end up at the pound $275 fine for having an unregistered dog. If it goes to court (unlikely) but it can be as much as $5500 fine.

Not worth it given the small cost.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If they get out and end up at the pound $275 fine for having an unregistered dog. If it goes to court (unlikely) but it can be as much as $5500 fine.

Not worth it given the small cost.
Meh. Thats not a big deal for me.

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Pfffft I won't even bother, selim mehajer does not need to know if I have a dog or not haha

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
INSURANCE
There are two main underwriters: Allianz and Hollard Insurance. All companies use one or the other.
Umm the BIG kicker is in the inclusions/exclusions. We found PetPlan (underwritten by Allianz) to have the best inclusions, as they didn't count bilateral conditions as one (so if she does one knee or hip, and then another, we can claim for both, not just one).

REGISTRATION
You should have your registration papers for the pup. First up he needs to be microchipped (if not already) by 12 weeks.
He must also be registered with council by age 6 months.

Most councils you can do it online, but you'll need his microchip number first. Cost is once off in NSW, but other states are yearly amounts. If he is still intact you'll pay more to have him registered. Cost is set by Companion Animals Act and the same throughout NSW council areas. Registration is $52 (desexed) and $192 (intact). We didn't need to register our dog as she was already registered in a NSW council area by the breeder.

Expect to see this coming home one day: https://britbitches.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/1451.jpg LOL

Another thing to do early (maybe not this early though) is crate train him, so he gets used to having a "safe place".
I'll have to make some phone calls and see what suits me most.

It should already be registered, and he is chipped

So if he's already been registered by the breeder I don't have to do anything.

Moronic Musings

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got a little jack russell x shih tzu.. perfect dog for me, awesome household pet with absolutely insane levels of intelligence and athleticism for their relatively small stature. Can be very very cheeky, but her intelligence has allowed for quick toilet training. Fully toilet trained by 3 1/2 months (now 5 months). Also loving and really good with children. Like I said, she can be really cheeky and destructive at times, but I personally find it hilarious. She sheds a bucketload, so thats another issue. So much energy though, she could go all day running around.

One question.. What are everyone's thoughts on de-sexing? Pros and cons?

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Got a little jack russell x shih tzu.. perfect dog for me, awesome household pet with absolutely insane levels of intelligence and athleticism for their relatively small stature. Can be very very cheeky, but her intelligence has allowed for quick toilet training. Fully toilet trained by 3 1/2 months (now 5 months). Also loving and really good with children. Like I said, she can be really cheeky and destructive at times, but I personally find it hilarious. She sheds a bucketload, so thats another issue. So much energy though, she could go all day running around.

I'm no one in particular to be giving dog advice, but if your dog isn't going to be having sex it's kinda cruel not to De-sex

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shit i just checked out k9pro.com this site will send me fucken broke! Haha i wish you didnt show me the site....
Someones going on a shopping spree!
Trust me I've spent thousands there and I never actually buy stuff my dog needs from there. Just fun stuff.

Puppy looks amazing. What's her name?

Also pet insurance a must. I've got top cover from Pet Plan (costs more than my health insurance which is also top hospital + extras) but it makes a difference. I know someone who's pug had to have an emergency facelift. Pet insurance was a lifesaver then.

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also always de-sex. Lowers the chances of the dog getting cancer significantly. Also gets rid of the problems involving dogs on heat and can lower territorial aggression if done while young.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Want to get a new pup but finding it hard to deal with another death in the future, my old lab got a brain tumor and it was a slow grinding death as she suffered seizures and just progressively got worse despite all my efforts with treatment.

Guard Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had 2 staffies and won't change preference anytime soon. When the time is right #3 will come. Congrats on the pup doggie s

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Trust me I've spent thousands there and I never actually buy stuff my dog needs from there. Just fun stuff.

Puppy looks amazing. What's her name?

Also pet insurance a must. I've got top cover from Pet Plan (costs more than my health insurance which is also top hospital + extras) but it makes a difference. I know someone who's pug had to have an emergency facelift. Pet insurance was a lifesaver then.
Yeah I'm trying to contain myself.

It's a he, and I've named him pobby

Yeah I'm definitely looking into it, how much do you currently pay and what does it cover?

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I've had 2 staffies and won't change preference anytime soon. When the time is right #3 will come. Congrats on the pup doggie s
Thanks GD I hope you get your 3rd soon

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I'm trying to contain myself.

It's a he, and I've named him pobby

Yeah I'm definitely looking into it, how much do you currently pay and what does it cover?
I think I pay around 85 a month. Some breeds are a lot less. That's for top cover with maximum payouts for any conditions and includes a death benefit (say he gets hit by a car or something of $2500).

I haven't shopped around recently but 2 years ago there cover was the most comprehensive. Some insurers will only insure a condition for first year it occurs (important with potential conditions like Hip Dysplasia to get a cover that will insure for the life of the dog)

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score

For a smaller breed like that, DEFINITELY desex.

Lower risk of mamory tumours and pyometra (uterus infection) in later life.

My sisters dog wasn't desexed, contracted pyo, and almost died as a result. 6 months before it got pyo it got mamory tumours. Apparently the two go hand in hand.

Smaller breeds + no litter = textbook case for potential pyo, as smaller breeds are more susceptible to it.

Another consideration is when she goes on heat, depending on her (individually), she could bleed all over the place (our girl was really clean), and you need to ensure the place is like a max security prison. Male dogs will try and get in and smell her in heat from like a km away. Depending on the type of dog she is, she could also to and escape to get mated. We never had any issues like that in the 4 odd months our girl was intact (including one heat cycle), but she is a mature dog with a few litters already from a breeder.

Final consideration is that as a small breed, when they get older they are harder to desex as the uterus is larger.

Status
Not open for further replies.