God's Will? Hopoate will not play Sundays

Status
Not open for further replies.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes, he's a man of faith, he stands up for what he believes in. Bla bla bla. Good on him.

It doesn't change the fact that it's a joke the club actually agreed to this, if all this really is true.

NRL is a weekend sport. That makes Will Hopoate a part-time player, consider him a casual employee if we have 7+ Sunday games this year. You've got to wonder where the commitment to playing NRL is if you choose to sit out of a Grand Final? Isn't that the pinnacle of this sport? What's the damn point of playing if you can't play an NRL Grand Final? Just the $$$?

Faith and sport can go hand in hand. No greater example than SBW and Hazem El Masri training and playing games through Ramadan and 5 daily prayers. I won't paint Will with the same brush as he obviously has different beliefs, but it comes back to the stupidity of the club actually agreeing to make such accomodations.

Will has proven how crucial he is to the spine of the team now that he's been arguably our best player this year. To duck his head in and out of the team - it's only going to damage the team, and our chances of a Premiership. I really cannot get my head around how stupid this decision by the club really is...

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
So is there an official - official word from the club yet on this?

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why can't he go to church in the morning then play in the afternoon?
He didn't pull this at Parra.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Who deleted blaq's post?

Janice

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't think God cares where you worship, Hopoate has made a selfish decision to play a team sport that is weekend based but only when it suits him. He could go to church in the morning and still play in the afternoon and probably make it in time for evening service. I'm sure if he talked to the minister/priest they would let him know that it's ok to play a game you've committed to and still be a good Mormon.

Allan

Man of Steel
Reaction score
He was a Mormon in 2011 when they won the Grand Final with Manly right? Or was he a part time Mormon then? Because i am pretty sure that GF was played on a Sunday.

just saying.
I don't know enough about the Mormon religion. Maybe the rules are different before you go for the 2 year mission.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I think the real point of this one is:
+ He played on Sunday the 6th of Sep 2015 (Parra's last game), and was fine playing Sunday's his entire career till now.
+ The club knew about this BEFORE he signed, but due to our desperate fullback situation caused by incompetence of others, we settled for it, because there were no other options available.
+ That he acknowledges that some clubs require players to play on Sundays if they are Mormon.
+ This only hits the media after he starts playing out of his skin for us (and thus the team relying on him).
+ The expectation from Hoppa & the club, that the fans would be okay with this.

I am SURE that if the players were asked outside the media, or without a microphone in their face, they'd have a very different viewpoint on this one.

I see this in the same light as the Barba & SBW walkouts. Clearly he cares little about the clubs success and harmony if he is willing to sit out 3 games, and risk the team potentially losing, and fans getting the shits.

Or ... maybe this is a ploy by him to get other clubs to fold and allow Mormon players Sunday's off.

OR ... perhaps Hoppa just hates his Sunday footy and would prefer:

MON
WEDS
THURS
FRI
SAT

instead.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
So is there an official - official word from the club yet on this?

Why do we need them to comment? Hoppa admitted it all on instagram.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm surprised by some of the ignorant comments here. End of the day, footy is just a game and a means to an income. Hoppa's faith is clearly more important to him than footy.
It's not ignorance at all,
We all chose our paths in life
Hoppa has chosen his
He knows full well what is expected of him at a full time professional rugby league player

It's up to him to make it work
Not the club
Not the nrl
Not the sponsors
Not the fans
Not the broadcasters
Not his team mates

If his religion prevents him playing on Sunday's then it's up to him to select a more accomodating occupation

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Why do we need them to comment? Hoppa admitted it all on instagram.
They owe an explanation to the members
Members chose to become members for a number of reasons
And some players are idolised by children and parents may select to obtain memberships as a result of the players

Members also go in thinking the club they are financially supporting are going to field their best players week in week out

There are people who would not agree to this situation and may not have drcid

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I just want to stress that this isn't a Christian thing. Mormons aren't a religion, they are a cult which blashomly use Jesus Christ's name.

Don't believe me? Google how they started the cult.

Malla

Reaction score
It's not ignorance at all,
We all chose our paths in life
Hoppa has chosen his
He knows full well what is expected of him at a full time professional rugby league player

It's up to him to make it work
Not the club
Not the nrl
Not the sponsors
Not the fans
Not the broadcasters
Not his team mates

If his religion prevents him playing on Sunday's then it's up to him to select a more accomodating occupation
The comments around him believing in something 'make believe' was highly ignorant - that's what I am referring to. As a Bulldogs supporter, it's shit that he is missing these handful of games because of faith, but at the end of the day he is his own man.

In saying that, he is playing amazing football and if this is why then I'm all for it.

Last edited:

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
i still dont get the hopa bashing here.

IF anyone to blame , it is first and last , the club who agreed to Hopa's T&Cs.

Hopa didnt put the gun to their heads to agree to it.

Also i rather hopa helping us get to the GF than completely miss out on it without hopa. At the moment he is proving his worth.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I just want to stress that this isn't a Christian thing. Mormons aren't a religion, they are a cult which blashomly use Jesus Christ's name.

i still dont get the hopa bashing here.

IF anyone to blame , it is first and last , the club who agreed to Hopa's T&Cs.

Hopa didnt put the gun to their heads to agree to it.

Also i rather hopa helping us get to the GF than completely miss out on it without hopa. At the moment he is proving his worth.
I'm blaming the club for agreeing to it
I'm blaming hoppa for being so selfish as to request it

As I have said before there are plenty of other occupations out there that are Monday to Friday

And it's not a must for him to not play Sunday's
It's just preferred

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

That's all an opinion though, and even many would agree with your opinion - we still have to respect his beliefs. It's his choice and he is entitled to believe in whatever he chooses to believe in. That's not for anybody else to judge.

What does matter though is the impacts his contract will have on the team. It comes back to the club. This has to be the worst contract in Rugby League history.

Where to from here when it comes to NRL contracts? Maybe Hayne will come back to the NRL on a part-time contract, with his other half with the NFL. Paternity leave for all the new fathers? In Jamie Sowards case, 12 months Maternity leave? :rolleyes:o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.