Will we win a comp under Hasler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Put the thread up psycho, it was your thought mate..... it would be a hell of a good thread.
I have my views, you have yours, others have theirs, it would be pretty good I think.

Brooks
A fullback
Gillet
Back up hooker whom can actually pass hehe
So Hoppa to centre, Bmoz to Wing........ Stanly out, Perrett out, Lichaa out (or we asking one for them to come to us/stay and play nsw cup at hooker?)

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
I think we can win with des , despite his blunder in playing mbye at hooker against Souths instead of cook but it hinges on Reynolds. If Reynolds is replaced with an actual half then we have all the ducks in a row. If we persist with Reynolds then no, I don't think we can

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
We also signed a centre that could cover FB given he's played there before in case our FB went out injured, verdict was divided on letting Laf go for Hoppa....... kinda a master stroke signing at this point isn't it? Say no, you would prefer Perrett at FB right now, I dare you :p thats one thing Des did.
Hoppa has been great so far this year, no question .... but we aint gonna win a comp with him at fullback nor Bmoz.. how many players do we have in our team that can take a game by the scruff of the neck and bust it wide open ...... sound of crickets

Last edited:

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
one thing is for sure in this kennell, you either are Pro DES and will never listen to reasoning and there are those Against DES who see whats been unfolding over last 5 years and want change.

No arguing or discussion will ever sway a person to change his opinion.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So ur a sheep and live in fantasy land or ur a realist and want the best for the dogs and hence wanting change ASAP.
Doing the same thing over and over again with the same result. I think their is a term for that am I not wrong?

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hope this thread gets brought up again at seasons end.
Then let's listen to the excuses of all the des lovers

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
I hope this thread gets brought up again at seasons end.
Then let's listen to the excuses of all the des lovers
lol while I can see why people don't like des it's pretty ordinary to label the ones that do as sheep.
2 grand finals in 5 years and currently playing with a rookie half and hooker and a retarded 5/8 . You could ask any single coach in the comp and they'd rate des amongst the best in the game. Are they sheep also?

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I have no issue with the coach or the recruitment. I am older than 12, so i realise that we will lose games, and will not look like superstars every match, whoever we sign. Have you seen how warriors are going this year? FFS, they recruited like a boss. One of the best teams on paper in the NRL. It shows signings arent always an instant solution. I believe a lot of the negativity in this place is unfounded, knee jerk reactions, and in some cases trolling. There are people in here who would blow up if won a GF and didnt look amazing doing it. Excuse me if i dont just dismiss a lot of the complaining in this place as fluff.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This week it will be nice to put away the knives and support the like of J Moz and Reynolds playing game 200 and 100 respectively. The latter has been vilified on here but you don't play 100 games for the one club and Origin I might add if you are a bum

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
lol while I can see why people don't like des it's pretty ordinary to label the ones that do as sheep.
2 grand finals in 5 years and currently playing with a rookie half and hooker and a retarded 5/8 . You could ask any single coach in the comp and they'd rate des amongst the best in the game. Are they sheep also?
But it's alright for the des worshippers to call us non fans or "lesser" fans for having an opinion different to SuperCoach
It's a two way street mate

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No one wants to come here and play under a dictator
He has attracted diddly squat
We can't change a game plan for 3 years and not able to change one on the run when opposing team pick us off
He starts with too similar players
Stars rep stars such as klemmer are starting on the bench while cream puff Tolman wastes tackle after tackle
We will lose lane because he has a bit of flair
We have no line speed
No depth in attack
Can't attract a fullback or halfback
Players playing out of position
Reluctance to drop pathetic used by plodders
Hesitancy to use abbey, Phillips and others no matter how good they tear up nsw cup

It's a fcuking nightmare but in people's eyes everything is rosey and we will win the comp

We will be lucky to make the 8 and even hen we are there making up the numbers

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don't be so sure about Maguire, the rumor that the players are done with him keeps gaining traction.
Maquires doing very well.. won a comp, got them to finals every year like Hasler.. lus hes not scared to drop a player..

I like him as a coach

Kratos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maquires doing very well.. won a comp, got them to finals every year like Hasler.. lus hes not scared to drop a player..

I like him as a coach
I agree, I think he's good

Minion

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The Des worshippers club in here always come up with the statement "well if you dont want Des, what better coach is out there" and then they proceed to name Bellamy Bennett etc etc

There maybe only a few coaches with a win/loss record like Des and have won premierships etc but for what i have seen in the last 5 years,
ANY COACH, thats right ANY COACH that plays a different style of footy then we what we currently produce would be a welcome fresh air.
ANY COACH who actually has a game plan besides Tolman going for a hit up on 4th tackle would be a fresh air
ANY COACH who doesnt have his props as their halves would be a breath of fresh air
ANY COACH who doesnt pass to their centes or forwards on last tackle would be a breath of fresh air
ANY COACH who lets their halves run the ball and be first receivers would be a breath of fresh air
ANY COACH who has their forwards running onto the ball at full pace would be a breath of fresh air
ANY COACH who actually gives youngsters a go and doesnt keep the same squad in and out no matter how bad they are would be a breath of fresh air
ANY COACH who believes in our junior development system would be a breath of fresh air
ANY COACH that can actually attract some decent recruitments would be a breath of fresh air.

i can keep goin and goin and goin..

Getting a new coach might not mean success, it could end up being a failure, but i for one welcome any change, a change is as good as a holiday and might be beneficial to the club its supporters and players. Des has had the opportunity over the last 5 years and its the same thing over and over, i love my Bulldogs with a passion and i am sick to death of watching us play the way we do. Enough is enough.

If Des got off his high horse and changed our tactics, the way we play etc and allowed youngsters like Philips a go then i would be more than happy to keep DES, but unless he does then ANY COACH besides Des would do...

Now shoot me down and tell me how much of an idiot i am, how i should back my club, tell me how i shouldn't be so negative, that i should have patience, that i am not a real supporter etc because if thats all you have to say then it is nothing new...
This is all true and well considered.

The biggest problem with the Hasler "Boring" playing style is that it is so predictable that all opposing teams have studied it and know it inside and out. Therefore our attacking plays are easily defended even by the weaker teams. There just doesn't seem to be any well rehearsed plays that can catch the defense off guard and lead to line breaks and/or broken play.

Naturally the fact that we are missing Lichaa and B-Moz is seriously limiting our options, along with our apparently clueless options on the 5th tackle.

Last edited:

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The only thing other teams fear about us is our forward pack, but we saw against parra and even penrith, as long as the other teams forwards show no respect they can get the upper hand.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
one thing is for sure in this kennell, you either are Pro DES and will never listen to reasoning and there are those Against DES who see whats been unfolding over last 5 years and want change.

No arguing or discussion will ever sway a person to change his opinion.
Another example of black or white logical fallacy. This reasoning is something George W Shrub was good at, because it is lazy and simplistic.

Personally I am pro Hasler for so long as the club chooses to employ him. He is the head coach of the blue and white. I'm also a realist, and figure that a guy who has got the team to two GF in four years and is yet to miss the finals is unlikely to get fired, at this point in time anyway. Its amusing to see some on here blow their tops when faced with this simple fact, they bluster and call the person who stated the fact a "Hasler lover". Guess what, Wayne Bennett has won 7 premierships as a coach. Fact. I guess now I am a "Bennett lover"?

Also none of us have any power whatsoever concerning his ongoing employment, and when you realise that being against Des is akin to bashing your head against a brick wall, you get to decide whether you really want to keep doing that or not.

Rather than being against Des personally, I am against some of his decisions, but choose to express my opinions without resorting to extreme adjectives or use of statements that are plainly factually incorrect. Arguing or discussion that relies on statements that are at least partially grounded in reality has the potential to change my opinion. Unfortunately such argument or discussion is usually thin on the ground in this forum.

Last edited:

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Put the thread up psycho, it was your thought mate..... it would be a hell of a good thread.
I have my views, you have yours, others have theirs, it would be pretty good I think.
Done

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
you guys read the article about Des under the pump in the SMH? ALMOST like the writer spends his time on the kennel

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pressure on Des Hasler to deliver on Canterbury Bulldogs' promise of two titles by 2019

You hear Canterbury Leagues before you see it.

The cascading waterfall at the front of the club never stops, much like it's football team.

Feeling the strain: Coach Des Hasler instructs his team during a Canterbury Bulldogs training session at Belmore. Photo: Renee McKay

"As long as the waterfall keeps flowing," says one rugby league heavy hitter, "the Bulldogs will be OK."

In other words, as long as the bottomless pit of money from the Leagues Club keeps flowing down Belmore Road around the corner and into Belmore Sportsground, the football club will keep humming along. They don't chase waterfalls at Canterbury, though. They chase premierships. How much longer will they be content without one?

The Bulldogs' five-year strategic plan, released a year ago, sets out the club's plans in blue and white: "Measuring our success: two grand final wins by 2019".

Their last premiership came in 2004.

Tick. Tick. Tick.

It says much about the strength of the club and the reputation of coach Des Hasler that the Bulldogs rarely come under scrutiny for what happens on the field. Since Hasler's dramatic arrival in late 2011, just days after winning the premiership with Manly, he's revolutionised the club.

Universally described as a "mad scientist", he didn't just drag the Dogs into the professional age but shoved them in front of everyone else, including Melbourne and South Sydney.

He was injecting his players with cow's blood at Manly. He was using GPS before anyone else, with the vital stats of his players coming in on this brand new thing called the iPhone.

The Bulldogs would smash it out in their rundown gym before Des arrived. Now, during a field session at Belmore, the play will break down and the coach's raspy voice will explain what went wrong as video from numerous cameras around the ground is shown on the big screen.

How much does all this cost? I've been told the Dogs spend about $15 million per year on footy, and that includes player payments. About $8 million is spent on the football program.

Hasler, who once stopped in the Brookvale tunnel at half-time as a player to pick up a 50-cent piece, was lured to Belmore for more than $1 million a season.

It's always hard to tell with these things, but other clubs are certain the Dogs spend more on football than any other NRL team.

Are they getting bang for their buck? Four finals appearances including two grand finals in the last four seasons suggests they are. Yet how much longer will the headstrong Bulldogs board be prepared to coast along without a premiership?

There's been talk for months now the board and Hasler keep butting heads over football expenditure, although this type of discussion would happen at most clubs where the coach wants to be on the cutting edge of sports science.

Hasler is contracted until the end of next season, but this is his fifth at Belmore.

Some players report he has openly admitted at training he's "under the pump". Nobody can confirm, however, if he's saying it with his tongue firmly planted in his cheek. With Dessie, you never know.

Tick. Tick. Tick.

A future can be built around the likes of David Klemmer, Moses Mbye and Josh Jackson, but the window is closing. The Dogs' style of play, for what it's worth, is very limited, with most of it based off the back of captain James Graham's rampaging runs through the middle.

It's dour and it's effective in finals footy, no doubt. We saw that in 2012 when they reached the grand final. But their form has been streaky this season.

They should've beaten Manly by 50 points in the opening round with the amount of ball they had; they snuck home after the siren against Penrith; they struggled to find points against the Eels and were thumped.

At the heart of the Hasler philosophy, too, is blind faith in his players.

He was adamant Graham never bit Billy Slater's ear in the 2012 grand final, just as he was certain Klemmer never touched referee Ben Cummins in the match against Penrith. The way Hasler manipulated the Klemmer controversy showed just how streetwise he is. He played the NRL off a break.

The day after Klemmer was charged, many journalists were briefed on similar incidents that had escaped the eye of the match review committee. It was House of Cards stuff. In the end, Cummins ended up providing critical testimony in front of the judiciary and Klemmer was set free.

But the siege mentality that was so prevalent and effective at Manly can only work for so long. Des versus The System can only take them so far. On Good Friday, the Bulldogs meet South Sydney at ANZ Stadium.

It comes a year since the infamous match in which Graham was penalised, Klemmer was marched, and referee Gerard Sutton had to dodge 600ml bottles of Coke as he left the field. That match brought out the worst in the Bulldogs. We'll find out this season how much they've changed.

Brian Smith once said a coach's worth isn't necessarily defined by premierships. "I'd say that, too, if I never won one," grinned a rival coach at the time. At a club like the Bulldogs can only tolerate being without one for so long.

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
you guys read the article about Des under the pump in the SMH? ALMOST like the writer spends his time on the kennel
That article pissed me right off... we did not "get thumped" by the Eels. Fucking journalists... if you class that type of loss a "thumping", what do you do about ones like Cows v. Roosters.

Status
Not open for further replies.