Fan Boycotting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
The only way to generate change is when ALL fans agree change is needed and take action, if DOGS fans went it alone based on issues affecting the club alone, everyone will see us as complainers and nothing more.

I do not believe in a boycott, that hurts the club you love, I do believe action of some descript is needed, but it needs to be in relation to broad ranging issues affecting all clubs

I'm rethinking advocacy of the term boycott, but simply stating away because I don't have much money and don't want to give it to an organisation that I feel doesn't treat me respectfully as a fan is a pretty reasonable response I think.

I'm not decided on the course of action on taking, but avoiding games due to disillusionment with the Como is still a very real option for me.

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not believe in protesting / boycotting against the decisions relating to one club, there are dipper issues at play here.

1) The ineptitude and lack of accountability of the referees. (there is MANY POINTS TO MAKE HERE)
2) The NRL's lack of proactive decision making
3) The gagging of the coaches
4) Lack of accountability and transparency in relation to the judiciary

There is a lot to be disgruntled about based on the clowns running the game as opposed to decisions made in 1 game.
I promise you fans of other clubs have the same issues I have listed here, and MANY more
Maybe i misunderstood the post. I thought the boycott was purely based on the Souths game.
Anyway, I agree with many of your points. The gagging of coaches and unaccountability of refs together is a disgrace. It's purely abuse of power by nrl. History shows this kind of action always ends up being the wrong decision.

bulldogluke

Waterboy
Reaction score
Whenever there is a boycott let me know so then I can go and have the Kennel to myself.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Canterbury fans aren't copping a heap of BS bans ...

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty much agree with you there.

The A League boycott was about something of principle. A League clubs also rely so heavily on gate revenue compared to say AFL/NRL with billion dollar TV deals. A few thousand might not show up at the gate, but as if they wouldn't be watching it at home instead. Around 120,000 people attend your average NRL round at the gate, 50 times more than that watch on TV (if you added up the TV audiences).

I still don't believe in a boycott. Never will. Much as some on here think we are treated worse than every other Club - I don't really agree TBH.
Not having a dig I think you missed the intent of the boycott. Fans still turned up to the game whether paying or members but walked out at an agreed time during the match e.g. Just before halftime or at 60 minutes so the A League still got their gate takings. Was more about the visual impact of fans walking out in mass from each club showing that everyone was united in protest.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not having a dig I think you missed the intent of the boycott. Fans still turned up to the game whether paying or members but walked out at an agreed time during the match e.g. Just before halftime or at 60 minutes so the A League still got their gate takings. Was more about the visual impact of fans walking out in mass from each club showing that everyone was united in protest.
You've a little off the mark there.

If you watch any A-league advert, they are marketing the atmosphere as a draw card. Something that the fans created, not the FFA, or any governing body.

The first week was a mass walk out, instigated by several supporter groups, including the NT, and the RBB. The 30th minute was chosen very strategically.
The second week was a complete non-attendance by, if memory serves me right, all major supporting groups. The Mariners game drew less than 5,000 as a result, with other crowds being WELL below average.

The second week was key. Because it showed that, whilst the game would still exist, something the FFA have used strongly in attempting to draw crowds, were no longer in the picture.

The main reason for the boycott was the lack of managerial leadership shown by the heads of the FFA at the time of the newspaper article, shaming 192 banned fans. But also, the due process in which a banned fan could have their 10 year banishment from games overturned.

The fans don't give a sh!t about blokes who threw punches, or flares. They will remain banned, and rightly so.
However, there are quiet a number of fans whom have been wrongly accused, have had criminal charges placed against them for what have you, have the ruling overturned in court, and cleared of all charges.

However - the FFA, with their "above the law" stature, chose not to overturn the bans - they don't care.

Whilst there are many other gripes that vocal supporting groups have (don't get me started on the under cover security group Hatamoto), I have stated the key points.

As a closing point - any notion of a boycott against the Bulldogs would be absolutely stupid!

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
100%,

and the reason it worked, is that is was a VISIBLE thing, a mass exit mid game, it gets noticed.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've a little off the mark there.

If you watch any A-league advert, they are marketing the atmosphere as a draw card. Something that the fans created, not the FFA, or any governing body.

The first week was a mass walk out, instigated by several supporter groups, including the NT, and the RBB. The 30th minute was chosen very strategically.
The second week was a complete non-attendance by, if memory serves me right, all major supporting groups. The Mariners game drew less than 5,000 as a result, with other crowds being WELL below average.

The second week was key. Because it showed that, whilst the game would still exist, something the FFA have used strongly in attempting to draw crowds, were no longer in the picture.

The main reason for the boycott was the lack of managerial leadership shown by the heads of the FFA at the time of the newspaper article, shaming 192 banned fans. But also, the due process in which a banned fan could have their 10 year banishment from games overturned.

The fans don't give a sh!t about blokes who threw punches, or flares. They will remain banned, and rightly so.
However, there are quiet a number of fans whom have been wrongly accused, have had criminal charges placed against them for what have you, have the ruling overturned in court, and cleared of all charges.

However - the FFA, with their "above the law" stature, chose not to overturn the bans - they don't care.

Whilst there are many other gripes that vocal supporting groups have (don't get me started on the under cover security group Hatamoto), I have stated the key points.

As a closing point - any notion of a boycott against the Bulldogs would be absolutely stupid!
Lol not entirely correct. As a result of the collective actions of the fans the FFA has altered its position from:

FFA would "not consider any appeal" and that because it is not a government agency “the obligation to adhere to the rules of procedural fairness and natural justice does not apply to our organisation

To:

The FFA appears to have made peace with angry A-League supporters, agreeing to allow fans banned from stadiums to view evidence used against them in a major change to their unpopular banning policy.

Following a heated four-hour meeting with representatives from all 10 active supporter groups in Sydney last night, Gallop announced numerous in-principal alterations to its long-time policy.

Instead of a "ban" notice, fans will be issued with an "intention to ban" notice and allowed to see the evidence against them.

That includes retrospectively the 198 people already banned, if the evidence against them still exists.

If the ban is maintained, they will then have an opportunity to see an independent panel at a later date.

"Obviously there's some fine-tuning that needs to happen, but I'm pleased to say that representatives of all 10 clubs' fan groups were there tonight and endorsed those changes," Gallop said.

Gallop said one the finer details that still needed work was evidence given to FFA on the basis of anonymity.

The changes form part of a review of FFA's appeals policy promised last week by new chairman Steven Lowy and to be finalised at the next board meeting in February.

The organisation's overhaul is a significant departure from the uncompromising and hardline stance regarding confidentiality of evidence the governing body had maintained right up until Wednesday.

A transparent appeals process whereby the onus of proof lies with FFA has been a crucial demand of furious fans who have walked out of games and last weekend stepped up their protests to full-match boycotts.

The rage stemmed from News Corp Australia's outing of a leaked list of 198 banned fans late last month and mushroomed due to FFA's perceived unwillingness to show leadership and stand up for football supporters.

Gallop could not say for certain whether the breakthrough meeting was enough to stop fans from continuing their match boycotts for a second successive week.

But he described the breakthrough meeting as productive, albeit underpinned by "some strong feelings" and "robust debate".

About 30 fans from across the 10 clubs united to attend the unprecedented roundtable, attended by Gallop and A-League head Damien De Bohun.

Also in attendance was former Socceroo and now Fox Sports pundit Mark Bosnich, who it's understood organised and partly funded the exercise, while Fox Sports' Adam Peacock MC'd the occasion.

Supporter groups plan to issue a statement indicating their position on Thursday.

Earlier on Wednesday, FFA also partly placated A-League clubs' agitated owners and chairmen in what was Lowy's first formal monthly meeting in the role.

Discussions focussed on marketing, broadcast, financial transparency and fan discontent.

Some chairmen have been campaigning for change, unhappy with the direction FFA has been taking, particularly with the A-League.

Most declined to comment, but were said to be impressed with Lowy's ability to engage and listen.

Melbourne Victory chairman Anthony Di Pietro, who last week slammed FFA for fostering a culture of "mediocrity", labelled the meeting a good start.

"But there is a challenge ahead," Di Pietro said.

"All the pressing matters were discussed and there appeared to be a collegiate approach in the room, which in my opinion is the only approach."

That to me says a reasonable outcome was reached. It also shows a level of collaboration between the FFA and the fans which may not be utopia but it's a step in the right direction and a win for the fans.

As I've said before I would not boycott the bulldogs specifically but if the cause involved majority or all clubs or was a broader NRL issue and was done with the right intent then of course I would.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Let's face it a boycott would not worry the NRL because judging by the way they have structured the broadcast deal with Thursday and Monday games bums on seats at the ground is not even a priority during the regular season. Some sort of action during the final series may be a bit different because the NRL picks up so much money from these games and empty stadiums would not be a good look, but that is the end of the season.

They are more intent in lining the pockets of the broadcasters ( who I suppose would expect nothing less because of the ' rich' broadcasting deals) and keeping everyone at home on the couch. I always wonder what the proportion of free tickets is too during the year to try to pump up the crowd figures and attract people to the games which are not on when most people can comfortably get there. . The NRL has also done a fantastic job of divide and conquer with the various fan bases and I doubt that a mass walkout from supporters of all clubs would ever happen.

Dogs fans are the most resilient that I know of and keep turning up week in week out even though discontent is sometimes evident. Remember the black Friday media circus when photos were plastered all over the papers and those were not even the ones suspected of doing wrong, just those who may be able to identify them. I detest troublemakers at a game and any evidence that points to someone being one needs to be in the open to make it transparent in dealing with them and any punishments handed out. I don't blame the soccer fans for being upset with the fact that bans were handed out without the evidence being cut and dried or unavailable to those who were accused.

Good on the soccer fans though for doing what they did and it certainly garnered public interest and awareness. Spooky watching a mass exodus during a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.