Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

NICK O’Meley is the latest son-of-a-gun to sign to be signed by the Roosters with the son of former NSW wrecking ball Mark to join the likes of Mitchell Pearce and Jackson Hastings at Bondi.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal, O’Meley, 17, has been snared by the Roosters and will follow in the footsteps of his famous father Mark, who also played for the tri-colours.

The Roosters beat of several suitors to sign the Wyong Roos player of the year following an impressive season which saw O’Meley Jr play first grade on the Central Coast while contracted to the Newcastle Knights.

While his father was a ferocious front row forward — regarded among the toughest players of his generation — Nick is fleet footed outside back.

“He is a lot different to me,’’ Mark said.

“But while I never played in the backs, I think he has the same type of attitude and dedication that helped make me a career in rugby league.’’

Mark was first reluctant to endorse a move that would see his son player for one of his three former NRL clubs.

Nick was also sounded out by the Bulldogs before coming to terms with the Roosters.

“They are an extremely professional organisation,’’ O’Meley said.

“And they have created pathways for kids like Nick on the Central Coast with the programs that have set up. I know he is in good hands and will get an opportunity if he earns it.’’

Nick played his first senior football in the UK after he was signed by the Hull FC football academy while Mark continued his career in the English Super League.

The centre — also at home playing fullback or wing — spent two years with the Knights before the Roosters deal.

“It is a great opportunity,’’ Nick said.

“I have had a good couple of years since coming back to Australia and I am looking forward to developing with the Roosters. They are a big club and I spent plenty of time around them watching Dad play for the Roosters.

“I am now looking forward to working hard and I know they will give me every opportunity to become a good football player.’’

O’Meley and son joined forces on the Central Coast this year to play in the same team in dream come true for both.

“Yeah I came out of retirement when the chance came up to play with Nick,’’ Mark said.

“Not many Dad’s get the chance to play with their son — so I took the opportunity with both hands. We actually both scored a try in the same game.’’

O’Meley is expected to play SG Ball with the Roosters before being elevated to the NSW Cup.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...rss&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Not suprised that the R00$ter$ signed him up. Probably organised a car already for him.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Rorters have recruited very well since they hired Peter O'Sullivan as their recruitment officer. He shits on Cleal to be honest.
Its no coincidence O'Sullivan did a great job when he was at the Storm also, the y has an eye for talent.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Rorters have recruited very well since they hired Peter O'Sullivan as their recruitment officer. He shits on Cleal to be honest.
Its no coincidence O'Sullivan did a great job when he was at the Storm also, the y has an eye for talent.
And the use of an unlimited cap to work with!!! Viva Nicholas George Politis the king of brown slightly crumpled paper bags.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Stop the presses - Roosters signs 17 year old SG Ball player.

How long must this off-season go for?!

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
And the use of an unlimited cap to work with!!! Viva Nicholas George Politis the king of brown slightly crumpled paper bags.
Agreed, the Rorters have an unlimited gap for many years now and I enjoyed seeing them underachieve in years gone past even when they were over the cap.
But since they recruited O'Sullivan they have picked up some very good young players,and that is no coincidence.
I would take O' Sullivan and Mullholland for that matter over Cleal any day of the week .

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Good luck to the kid, if he can run at a line like his dad did then he should create a few highlights in a few years time.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Needs to shave his head

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Remember them 2 little kids doing the victory lap with Dad in 2004 ... **** ... We need another premiership.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
When it comes to the Uncle Nick would it matter if there was a cap?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
i would hate to be the o'meley son because if there is pressure for him to be anything like his dad then its a problem because his dad was incredible

Status
Not open for further replies.