The Will Hopoate Thread - 200k or 200nay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Hoppa signs with you blokes, I'll be happy to fly down, hire a vespa and drop him off to your club myself:-)
You'll need to return the Vespa else you guys will be over the cap again

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Mixed feelings on this one... If he can return to his form when he was at Manly I would happily take him back problem is he has lost interest since he came back every time I have seen him on the field he just looks disinterested. He needs something to get that spark and hunger back maybe Des can get it out of him but I have my doubts but hey happy to be proven wrong!!!

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's only because he was with Parra why he looked so bad. Everything they do, touch, sign anything turns to SHIT. They have the biggest losing culture which will take a life time to correct. They could sign the entire QLD team and overnight they would turn to shit, that's how much their club sucks. Oh and the other team that he played for (NSW) wasn't much better lol.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
If he was going to be with a club, he'd already be announced for 2016.

He was average at Parra.
He was average at Manly.

Without a doubt one of the most overrated players going around.

BMoz = S*its all over him.
JMoz = S*its all over him.
Rona = S*its all over him.

Lafai = In form s*its all over him.
Perrett = In form s*its all over him.

So with Hoppa you gain nothing over what we already have.

Then you have guys like Stanley, Phillips, McInally, Holland, and eventually Okonbour & Abbey who are going to be pushing for a spot in first grade hopefully in the future.

I'm sure between them we can find someone suitable and not waste money on Hoppa.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
If he was going to be with a club, he'd already be announced for 2016.

He was average at Parra.
He was average at Manly.

Without a doubt one of the most overrated players going around.

BMoz = S*its all over him.
JMoz = S*its all over him.
Rona = S*its all over him.

Lafai = In form s*its all over him.
Perrett = In form s*its all over him.

So with Hoppa you gain nothing over what we already have.

Then you have guys like Stanley, Phillips, McInally, Holland, and eventually Okonbour & Abbey who are going to be pushing for a spot in first grade hopefully in the future.

I'm sure between them we can find someone suitable and not waste money on Hoppa.
Sorry mate you have been bagging him for a while and going on about it not being true and journo's on the dribble.

I think it's clear you don't like him nor want him though to say he was average at Manly is having a lend or misinformed. He was very good there. Granted he played in a very good team and outside Jamie Lyon who is one of the top centres over the past 5-10 years though let's not take it away from him.

He also is FAR better then Perrett when "in form" which is what you have pointed out for Perrett.

Perrett is smaller, older and up for debate about slower. Hoppa has a lot more chances to turn his career around and refind that form he had for Manly then Perrett has of turning the hands of father time around.

While I am not over the moon with it, I would be happy to add him purely because it gives us an UPGRADE for 2016 on the wing.

Would I prefer we sign Walker? Bloody oath. Will we? No. Why? That's more of reason to be pissed off. Sick of the whole won't look at this bloke because he's not the smartest bloke of the field. They are professional athletes and kids in Walkers case. Who hasn't screwed up at his age? Manly take the punt and he pulls his head in they have a quality centre for the next decade if they want him. Prime example is Dugan for the Dragons and Ferguson for the Roosters. They both reap the rewards. If you go through teams most have done it Titans with Bird, Sharks with Carney (granted that one back fired), Manly with Walker (by the looks of it) list goes on.

I also am mixed on Hiku. I have seen the good and bad in him. He would be a welcome addition and could potentially be a quality fullback option if we wanted to move B Moz back. That said B Moz has also shown he can be quality and Hoppa could be a quality winger. The fact is too I believe Hiku will get some silly money thrown at him. I generally believe Hoppa know's he was way off form with Parra. Be it fitness and timing from his time out of the game or mental issues from playing at that woeful club and clearly had issues with his pay like Hayne etc with 3rd parties not paying has to effect you. I would not be surprised if Hoppa is generally pushing to come to the Dogs for the chance to turn it around and reunite with Des. If he got back to his Manly form we would all jizz over him and Rona on the wings especially if J Moz keeps it up and Lafai finds his 2014/2013 form.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
My concern is that we sign up Hoppa Jnr, and end up with a TRex scenario.

"Thanks for the career lifeline Bulldogs" ZZZzzzzzzzzZZzZz

The fact nobody else is chomping at the bit to sign him, is probably the biggest sign of what other clubs think of him as a player/potential.

We really don't have space for him:

1. BMoz >> Perrett during Origin / injury.
2. Rona
3. JMoz >> Stanley / Phillips / Holland during Origin / Injury
4. Lafai
5. Perrett >> Stanley / Phillips / Holland during Origin / Injury / moved to fullback.

Sam Perrett is not going anywhere until end of 2017. By that stage Phillips/McInally/Holland/Abbey/Okonbour will be pushing hard to replace him.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mr I I'm with u in relation to hoppa until u said Perret shits all over him. Hoppa is crapola but not that crap. I would t sign him especially as though me Bellamy tried to sign idris and not hoppa. Just shows that no one is interested what so ever

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score

The fact nobody else is chomping at the bit to sign him, is probably the biggest sign of what other clubs think of him as a player/potential.

2. Rona
4. Lafai
5. Perrett >> Stanley / Phillips / Holland during Origin / Injury / moved to fullback.

Sam Perrett is not going anywhere until end of 2017. By that stage Phillips/McInally/Holland/Abbey/Okonbour will be pushing hard to replace him.
Hoppa shit's on Perrett.

Throw in the fact Trex's scenario is a bit diff. We overpaid for him and he just flopped. I'd compare it to a Snowden, Barba, Sandow, Taylor etc. These guys where wanted and just went to highest bidder and failed. Snowden went to a good team, didn't deliver (granted know they are trash), Barba went to a good team flopped (granted out of position a bit), Sandow maybe not, went to a trash team. Taylor same story went to a decent team at the time and flopped (granted again they are now trash)

I don't think Hoppa falls into this. I think the time out, the crap team, the poor quality training facilities (especially after the time out) along with playing out of position and also NOT BEING PAID what he was meant to be all contributed to his return at the Eels.

He was a gun at Manly. Again granted it was outside Lyon and a high quality team.

That said he should go far better with out team then the Eels, especially on the wing if Lafai can find his previous form he would have a field day.

Don't get me wrong, he is FAR from the first winger I'd pick. Hell I don't even know what I'd give for us to get our hands on Semi. That said Hoppa is a big upgrade from Perrett. He has been picked for NSW it shows people have faith he can find the Manly form. I think given the chance he could turn it around for us and at worse be a solid reliable winger something sadly Perrett isn't anymore. I don't think it's a matter of who is going hard for him more then likely it's something Hoppa has decided after coming from Parra he wants to link up with a coach he knows and has faith in, a club who will actually pay him and play him in his best position and also a roster with facilities to get the best out of him. It limits his options dramatically.

korrmatta1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If hoppa does sign mark my words he will be one of the best for us week in week out.. Screenshot this message I'm very confident.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Mr I I'm with u in relation to hoppa until u said Perret shits all over him. Hoppa is crapola but not that crap. I would t sign him especially as though me Bellamy tried to sign idris and not hoppa. Just shows that no one is interested what so ever
Actually I'm sure I read reports Bellamy did want him. Hoppa didn't want to move to Melb...

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
If hoppa does sign mark my words he will be one of the best for us week in week out.. Screenshot this message I'm very confident.
I wouldn't go that far, though I would go to say I don't see him popping up with a "SACK/DROP" thread every second week like we do with Perrett after he doesn't contest a bomb, has a grubber put behind him and scored against or can't stop an attacker running over him.

Again I really am not trying to bag Sammy P. He has been an extremely good player over his career. He was a consistent NZ rep and Mr Reliable. Though those days are behind him. If he was still playing like he was when he first joined us we would all be very happy with him even with his lack of size. He isn't though and has become a liability.

Drop Bear

Much Loved Eels Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Youll be saying the same about foran after your club ruins him as well lol

Foran will be great, for the first game that is. Every year same old same old. My signature says it all:-(

DaddyCool

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

2. Rona
4. Lafai

you say :My concern is that we sign up Hoppa Jnr, and end up with a TRex scenario.

That's the least of your worries...
What if you ended up with dadda Hoppa as your assistant coach! (oh please :pray:grinning:

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm with you brother. If we sign him I am confident he will have a positive impact and get back to Manly form. Parra to Hoppa will be like Tigers to Blair. Blair to Broncos will be like Hoppa to dogs.

Fingers crossed. lol

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Get off the drugs Habib seriously the guy is a slow arse zero attacking plodder whom can't tackle to save his life. Darius Boyd made him look like an amateur in origin 3

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Will Hoppa's "Highlights package", shows tries that any winger could score... even Jono Wright / Mitch Brown / Corey Thompson.

Save our pennies, wait till next year, and throw a cheque book at Dale Copley (available end of 2016 season).

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Will Hoppa's "Highlights package", shows tries that any winger could score... even Jono Wright / Mitch Brown / Corey Thompson.

Save our pennies, wait till next year, and throw a cheque book at Dale Copley (available end of 2016 season).
No. Just no.

Status
Not open for further replies.