Strickland joins Bulldogs for 2 seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs have today secured the signing of boom edge backrower Luis Strickland. Strickland who grew up playing for Arncliffe Scotts has just finished his tenure at Endeavour Sports High School where he played a role in helping the side reach the final 4 in 2015.
Having completed his SG Ball season playing for the National Championship Winning Cronulla Sharks, Strickland decided to join the Bulldogs after visiting their facilities and speaking with the coaching, recruitment and welfare staff at Belmore Headquaters recently.

When asked about the signing Strickland said, "It was difficult to leave the Sharks, they are a good bunch of guys, but after speaking with the Bulldogs, seeing their facilities and the program I will be going into, I have decided to sign with them for 2 seasons".
Bulldogs Recruitment Manager Jim Whitney added "When we saw Luis playing school footy he showed against the bigger teams he was a constant threat and the way he carrys himself you can tell he is a student of the game. We are looking forward to him coming into the system here and taking ownership of the opportunity".

Standing 190cm and weighing in at 98kg Strickland, who is a relative of formwer Bulldogs player Sonny Bill Williams, is a player who possess skill, speed and good feet for a big man. Coupled with a real professional attitude towards his game, Strickland looks to have a big future ahead of him.

http://www.mapsports.com.au/news/109-strickland-joins-bulldogs-for-2-seasons.html

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Is this the guy replacing 5 backline players?

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe he can play in the centres...

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If he plays well hell get released if he sucks up to des hell be picked every week

GRKDOG

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Another player of the "future" that will prob never see first grade at our club, get poached and get his chance at another club.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol, if he ever amounts to anything it will be in a few years time,
Will be interesting watching him develope but at the moment this signing does nothing for me,
Until we sign a halfback I will be like, meh what Eva

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Damn! I thought we signed Strickland propane as a sponsor.

Boy, I'll tell you h-what that would have been awesome. Asinine but awesome. Mm hmm.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can he play halfback or fullback because I forgot we had a shortage of second rowers there for a second???

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Awesome another forward, just what we need :sleep:

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Relative of Sonny Bill aye. He must already be planning a mid season 'midnight' switch to French rugby

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just what we've all been waiting for.......

........NOT!!!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Des will lure Clint Newton out of retirement and play him three more seasons before he plays some youngster with talent.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Hmmmm... interesting...

I wonder if this means Herman and / or Fualalo are going.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs have today secured the signing of boom edge backrower Luis Strickland. Strickland who grew up playing for Arncliffe Scotts has just finished his tenure at Endeavour Sports High School where he played a role in helping the side reach the final 4 in 2015.
Having completed his SG Ball season playing for the National Championship Winning Cronulla Sharks, Strickland decided to join the Bulldogs after visiting their facilities and speaking with the coaching, recruitment and welfare staff at Belmore Headquaters recently.

When asked about the signing Strickland said, "It was difficult to leave the Sharks, they are a good bunch of guys, but after speaking with the Bulldogs, seeing their facilities and the program I will be going into, I have decided to sign with them for 2 seasons".
Bulldogs Recruitment Manager Jim Whitney added "When we saw Luis playing school footy he showed against the bigger teams he was a constant threat and the way he carrys himself you can tell he is a student of the game. We are looking forward to him coming into the system here and taking ownership of the opportunity".

Standing 190cm and weighing in at 98kg Strickland, who is a relative of formwer Bulldogs player Sonny Bill Williams, is a player who possess skill, speed and good feet for a big man. Coupled with a real professional attitude towards his game, Strickland looks to have a big future ahead of him.

http://www.mapsports.com.au/news/109-strickland-joins-bulldogs-for-2-seasons.html
He is a very good player. I watched him go around for the Sharkies in the interstate final at Belmore late this season and of the forwards was one of the best. I would have thought a halfback, fullback or five eighth may have been of better value but by golly you can't have too many back rowers now can you? Maybe they saw the name SBW and decided we had to have him.What is our club doing; we are going to once again be so forward heavy and very skinny on in the backs.

Either we are in salary cap trouble with the number of players we have shed and the lack of top shelf signings or we are clearing the decks to upgrade and re-sign guys like Klem, Jacko, Mbye and perhaps a big name, but who is left that we would desperately need? All the worthwhile ones are already signed/ re-signed with their current clubs.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
dogluva - is this the bloke that runs some REALLY nice lines, similar to Luke Garner from Manly? If it's the guy I'm thinking of, he's a big unit but very light on his feet.

Maybe we are buying all those related to SBW to coax him back for one last hurrah!

bluedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This is great news it almost moved.
What would really excite me would be this
'Bulldogs sign Shaun Johnson on a five year deal starting right this minute'

Then and only then will it move it move it!

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Let's be serious here sounds like a good prospect, hardly for first grade in 2016. He is not going to be on top 25 I doubt.

He wouldn't be eating big money. I have no problems with us signing prospects forwards as we need an eye on the future.

We obviously need some first grade signings mainly in the wing/centre/6-7/hooker (Depth) positions.

I am still hoping we sign a solid yet no star player like Feldt, Simona, Nofaluma or something.

Only other positive out of this is it may well be a ploy to land SBW if he's a relo...

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
dogluva - is this the bloke that runs some REALLY nice lines, similar to Luke Garner from Manly? If it's the guy I'm thinking of, he's a big unit but very light on his feet.

Maybe we are buying all those related to SBW to coax him back for one last hurrah!
Could have been him or Fine Kula, two very talented boys. You know what? Cronulla were absolutely blessed with a wealth of talent in their Matts and Ball this year and it showed. I suppose the one bright light is that they can't keep all of them and they would have cherry picked the very best. Billy Margoulis, Curtis Scott, Fine Kula ( one of the players of the year from Matts), Monty Raper,Scott Bros,Lachlan Smith, Julian Spanos, Jack Williams. were amongst the players to stand out in both the Matts and Ball sides. I was so jealous of those two teams who were well deserved winners of the national comp between Sharks and Stingers. Why oh why can we not do the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.