Rugby league "minds" ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Invariably, when someone is interviewed in NRL circles your ears might pay extra attention if you like what they say. So this thread is a chance to talk about some of the great rugby league minds in the game. People who you could listen to for hours. People who make you go away having learned something.

Phil Gould : I love his team-mentality talks. Things I hear regularly sound like "coming into this game" and "they'll be looking to". As casually as reading a form guide in the horse racing, he'll go through a list of teams and identify strengths, weaknesses, motivations, match-ups, and sets the scene in lamens terms. It's a bit like walking up to a half-completed chess match and Gus says "that guy should win in 16 moves if he doesn't make mistakes". Also love his interviews. He did one a year or two ago with the Big-4 from Queensland SOO and last weeks one-on-one with James Graham was compelling.

Andrew Johns : Dont laugh. There's one thing he does really well, but not enough. Standing in front of a plasma TV deconstructing plays and options from key-players has me glued to the TV. Those chats where he says "watch this player here" and the 360-degree camera angles sweep around to behind the posts to reveal something we've missed off-camera. Joey does that really well. I wish I could listen to him do it more.

Michael Ennis : NRL360 has revealed a star in the making this year. I highly imagine if he doesn't wind up in a regular media gig (Triple M strong contenders I hear), he has the brains to be a first grade coach at some stage post-career. His weekly segment with Benji Marshall is compulsory viewing.

Cronk / Smith / Slater : 750+ games NRL experience. 100+ games rep experience. Premierships. Winning streaks. Consistent greatness over the span of their career. Imagine if you could get all-three in a room and ask them to analyse the chances of the remaining contenders. I've seen enough from SLater while he's been off injured to see how much he analyses play. He was in the coaches box one week, sitting in the back row, gesticulating with his hands while all 5 other heads were turned to listen to whatever plan he hatched up on the spot. Also saw him with Cronk and Smith at halftime in a huddle hatching plans. The three together are master craftsmen. I'd love to listen to more of what they think.

Fruitty Pebbles

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This. Shut the gates on everbody else bar Andrew Johns.

Gould to me just recycles his ( and mostly other commentators/analyst) sh!t OVER and OVER again. Not my cup of tea. just my opinion.

Actually Mick Ennis isn't half bad wither whenever he's on.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
This. Shut the gates on everbody else bar Andrew Johns.

Gould to me just recycles his ( and mostly other commentators/analyst) sh!t OVER and OVER again. Not my cup of tea. just my opinion.

Actually Mick Ennis isn't half bad wither whenever he's on.
Agree with ennis like hearing from him , speaks well

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ennis would be good as an analysis

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Gould is a w*nker of the highest order
Sometimes I really like him, I sit back and think, why every one hates him?
Other times, it like, hum yeah, what a wanker, no wonder everyone hates you,

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
I used to like listening to Warren Ryan on the radio

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I haven't seen Gould commentate in a single game where he hasn't used his "psychic" tactics. Ie. "This is what will happen but if it doesn't it'll be because of this and I told you so"

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah Joey and Sterlo's technical analysis is miles ahead of anybody else. Their vision is incredible.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
What's wrong with my brain ?
I can't recall Sterlo doing anything lately other than interviews.

Do like him on Triple M though.

Malla

Reaction score
Honestly I think Johns is so far beyond everyone else in terms of his rugby league mind and knowledge. I love when he breaks down a play and tries to zone in on what the half back is thinking and what he is trying to do.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Kimmorley when he was doing NRL Tactics. He's a dead boring commentator but on NRL tactics he'd go through the plays and the options they had and it was really interesting.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sometimes I really like him, I sit back and think, why every one hates him?
Other times, it like, hum yeah, what a wanker, no wonder everyone hates you,

I so wanted to say this, but couldnt find better words.

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
sterlo has let his ego take over from any talent he had. Bloke is a pest

Status
Not open for further replies.