David Stagg to retire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
http://www.broncos.com.au/news/2015/08/26/stagg_calls_time_on_.html

DAVID Stagg has this morning announced 2015 will be his last season in the NRL.

After a 13-season career, that included a stint with the Bulldogs, Stagg will hang up his worn Nike boots at the end of the season.

Ever the club servant, Stagg said he would continue training until the end of the year in case the Broncos need his terrier-like tackling skills in September.

Stagg has played just one NRL game in 2015, but it was the kind of effort that epitomised his career, doing the job for coach Wayne Bennett in May when all the Broncos’ Origin stars were out.

He helped lead a young side to victory over the Knights in Newcastle in what was an important two competition points for the Broncos.

Stagg’s was part of the Broncos’ last premiership in 2006, where he played a joint role of outside back in attack, but middle forward in defence.

It was a pivotal positional switch that helped release eventual Clive Churchill Medal winner Shaun Berrigan to be his devastating best during the finals series.

Stagg also played State of Origin for Queensland that year, being part of the first year of the glorious eight-season undefeated run of the Maroons.

He was also a member of a losing a grand final team with the Bulldogs in 2012.

And Stagg did it all after growing up and living with a hearing impairment that he admits not all his teammates knew about.

The humble Norths Aspley junior Stagg currently sits on 205 NRL matches and will retire at the end of the season with many achievements.

“For a guy who has never been the flashiest guy, who just went about his work and did his job for the team, I have been pretty lucky to have played over 100 games for the Broncos and over 200 NRL games,” he said.
One of the true legends of the game. Has given so much to it, and just puts his head down, does his job, and is reliable.

I put him up there with:
Dene Halatau
Ben Hannant
Frank Pritchard

Ex / soon to be ex Dogs players who have become figureheads in the community as well as the club. Who demonstrate everything that is good about the game, and give 100% every game.

I wish him only the best in his retirement.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Always liked David Stagg, one of the true nice guys of the NRL. Wish him the best.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
http://www.broncos.com.au/news/2015/08/26/stagg_calls_time_on_.html

One of the true legends of the game. Has given so much to it, and just puts his head down, does his job, and is reliable.

I put him up there with:
Dene Halatau
Ben Hannant
Frank Pritchard

Ex / soon to be ex Dogs players who have become figureheads in the community as well as the club. Who demonstrate everything that is good about the game, and give 100% every game.

I wish him only the best in his retirement.
Hannant is a wanker

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Great guy, genuinely loved the club and wanted to stay after 2012. I wish him all the best for life after football.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
The ultimate clubman. Never heard a bad word from him & was always prepared to have the shit bashed outta him for the jumper he wore.

All the best & good luck.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
david stagg was another of those players who did a lot of work but hardly got any recognition for it he had a tremendous work rate on the field and was also very goot with helping out the younger players in the squad, he was very good at the dogs and a true team player, i wish david and his family all the best for the future

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Was so disappointed we didn't keep him. Even more pissed off that he didnt get to retire on his terms in first grade, there are plenty of pea heart forwards running around that he could easily outshine.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I see Tolman as our current day Stagg/Halatau... guys that smash it up every hitup, and yet go underrated quiet a lot.

Heck, Stagg does not belong in Q Cup, but skeletor has been playing him there most of this season. He deserved better than that.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Champion bloke.
Good luck David.
Come and work for the Bulldogs.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Liked David Stagg as a player. always gave his all for the team. He has been a little injury plagued the last two years so probably hurried things along. Sad when he left the Dogs.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
He should be fine once his body heals up, has a a few certs/diplomas in Civil Engineering and Construction plus should be connected well being a footy player. Wish him all the best and was a favourite as he done all the hard work you'd want at your club and never set a foot wrong!

vietorious

pho-lawless
Reaction score
His wife was on this forum and posted a couple times regarding the fans attitude to Stagg.

A very under rated performer. Had a lot of broken noses due to the amount of tackles he made.

All the best Stagg.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
His wife was on this forum and posted a couple times regarding the fans attitude to Stagg.

A very under rated performer. Had a lot of broken noses due to the amount of tackles he made.

All the best Stagg.
Hahaha I remember that .. she was really nice and polite too :grinning:

Status
Not open for further replies.