Not open for further replies.

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marty John's show there is news later tonight's show with Lara pitt

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Look. What you guys aren't realizing is that his form isn't that far off from last year.. he has always been a great defender and great in close games. He is a defensive halfback and if you don't know that by now, then we have some issues. He will never grab 3 try-assists or kick two 40/20's to win a match.

Hasler likes Hokko because he is a calm head.

I was at the game today and I don't think he was THAT bad.. in the first half he was solid. Defended well, and did some good things (like that set play with the kick on 2nd tackle, or the linebreak when supporting Eastwood etc). 2nd half the knock on and that kick for the 7th tackle wasn't good however.

Mbye is a STAR and should be in first grade and in the halves. He is the future star of our game. He was superb.

Just a thought: maybe having three halves in our team isn't so bad.. have that fresh man coming on with 20min to go is like having a game breaker and that spark. Anyone remember Barba in 2010? Came on last 20min or so and absolutely tore up. Reynolds is perfect for that role.

In the end, whatever Des decides I support. If that means Hokko goes, so be it, I'll support whichever 17 are running out on game day.
He's lightyears off his post SOO form from last year. We did really well in 2012 (thats our best modern day season), and that season Hodko played 6 games and was gone for the season. That year we onw minor premiership and lost in grand final. Every year Hodko has featured in the halves we have only just scraped into the top 8.

That in itself says a lot.

His defence let in one try, and his mistakes directly contributed to two of the Dragons tries.

With 20 minutes on the field Reynolds fired the team up, put 19 points on the board (not personally but lead to many of those points), and they did not score with him on the field.

That in itself says a lot.

We all thought Hodko's knees were shot, but today he showed he can run IF HE CHOOSES. To me that says the problems with his game are in his head, and that is not an easy fix.

Des is only keeping Hodko in the team out of pity, and to prevent such a massive fall from grace (SOO halfback to NSW Cup).

It's becomming clearer and clearer every day, Trent will not be at the club in 2016.

I think Reynolds is on the outer. I've seen a few signs now from Reynolds and Hasler that are giving me the feeling there's some sort of rift between the two.

A lot of people are calling Hasler bringing Reynolds off the bench a masterclass. Hasler seemed more frustrated the with the fact he had to use Reynolds at all in the end in my opinion.
Not at all ... I think Des's approach is an interesting one.

Des is trying to get one thing out of Reynolds game that can cost us a game, and instill in him one thing that can win us a game.

He's trying to control that hot head Reynolds, has, and instead replace it with a calm and collected head that Hodko has.

Reynolds has stacks of ability, but its often overshadowed by brain explosions, or him overplaying a game and going in too aggressive.

The way Des is handling Reynolds at the moments suggests to me he's trying to calm his nerves and get him to control his aggression. Do that and Reynolds is a superstar alongside Mbye.

Mbye can kick goals, field goals, and that means Reynolds can play his natural game.

I don't Reynolds is on the outer at all, I think Des is just finding a way to try and calm him down. His words (in Lara Pitt interview after the game) tended to suggest the above.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was yelling at the TV all game to get Hodkinson off that bloody field. He was horrible today. Every time we looked like gaining momentum or making a break, Hodkinson would touch it and instantly it would turn to shit.

Hasler took his sweet arse time that's for sure to come to his senses.

I'm sorry but after the masterclass Reynolds displayed against the Raiders last round, he should've been one of the first picked.
My dad and I were at the game yelling to get hodkinson off aswell

blah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was too afraid to say this, Mbye's 5th tackle options were just as poor. But he still outplayed Hokko, but I think people need to realise Mbye has A-LOT of work to do. He was looking just as bad in attack before Reynolds came on...
Preach its not like he was mom or something oh wait

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
He was MOM because he had a good game, got a crucial field goal, kicked a crucial goal and defended well. He deserved it (but I'd have Kasiano over him JUST).

I'm just saying that his 5th tackle options were generally just as poor as Hodkinson's.
Mbye outplayed hodko full stop , hodko needs to be dropped or sacked or run water for the boys

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
feel bad for the kid.
Well he's playing for his career in his next SOO match, a good effort there and other clubs may take the punt on him. So it comes down to him producing.

Having said that, his time here is up. No way in the world should we re-sign him.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I do feel sorry for Hodko, but psychologically I don't think his head is in the game anymore. Much like Kris Keating giving the game away due to pressures to perform, I think Hodko is facing that same battle.

A sea change may be just what he needs, but will another club afford him that option.

Most players lift in a contract year, but for Hodko he's got worse.

I think he knows deep down that his NRL career with the Dogs is over, and possibly ESL will be his only option if he gets no other bites.

I was too afraid to say this, Mbye's 5th tackle options were just as poor. But he still outplayed Hokko, but I think people need to realise Mbye has A-LOT of work to do. He was looking just as bad in attack before Reynolds came on...
Mbye hasn't even had half a season in first grade playing halfback/five eighth, and yet constantly outplays a bloke who has had 3-4 seasons in first grade at halfback.

In other words you are right, Mbye has some work to do, but he will only get better.

We've already seen the best Hodko can offer (before Origin 2014), and since then its simply not good enough.

I guess being at the game you wouldn't have seen Mbye involved directly in our first 3 tries.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep , i feel sorry for hokko too.

the bloke is so good he probably never received a parking ticket,but he is not the same and will not be the same player of previous years.

He should jump on the maximum offer that comes his way.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He was MOM because he had a good game, got a crucial field goal, kicked a crucial goal and defended well. He deserved it (but I'd have Kasiano over him JUST).

I'm just saying that his 5th tackle options were generally just as poor as Hodkinson's.
You nitpick Mbye's stats for anything that puts him level with Hodkinson.

While not entirely wrong, until you can stop spouting nonsense about Hodkinson which you have been this entire year, it's irrevelant what you say. Mbye didn't just outplay Hodkinson he absolutely destroyed him in terms of helping the team. Hodkinson is a liability, Mbye is an asset to the 'Dogs.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Forgetting he also had a hand in our first 2 triess. Was generally threatening in attack and made very few if any errors in defense. There wasn't a thing Hodkinson can normally do that Mbye can't, but there's plenty Mbye can do that Hodkinson can't. They're not on level pegging, Mbye at his current stage of his career has already surpassed Hodkinson. You're the only one that fails to see that

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
on a side note: Daily telecrap at its lowest again. when the guy is already down in confidence how can you dedicate the whole back page on him beingon the bench and kick hokko in the guts when he is already down. fcken scums!

aand1

New Pup
Reaction score
For anyone that says Mbye's 5th tackle options were as bad as hodkinson's actually isnt THAT off... thats because 80% of 5th tackle plays went to him yesterday while he goes missing. Now what type of number 7 lets the no6 take most of the 5th tackle kicks/plays?, same goes with origin, you will notice 80% the clearing kicks are done by pearce as Hodkinson struggles to find grass/distance.

Remember that an article was also released about him statistically being the worst halfback this year.. FACT

he's a nice bloke and i like him, but he has to go. He is not worth anything over 400k. Reynolds and Mbye for the future, no correction, the present.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
on a side note: Daily telecrap at its lowest again. when the guy is already down in confidence how can you dedicate the whole back page on him beingon the bench and kick hokko in the guts when he is already down. fcken scums!
I hate the Telegraph but on this occasion they did nothing wrong.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah thats not good

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both made breaks and set up some good try's. But both were out played by Marshall and Widdop
Hodko supported a break* he didn't create any around him not did he make one for himself.

And remind me which tries hodko had a hand in? I must've been in a daze as I remember Mbye's involvement but can't recall Hodko's.

No need to bring down Mbye's game to prop Hodko up, infact there is heaps to criticise for Mbye as he has a lot of room for improvement (I agree his fifth tackle kicks weren't the greatest for instance) but to try and level him with what Trent has been piling up is just unfair on a developing player.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
this is exactly what he needs to hear ..His teammates talk him up way too much, his coach picks him as a starting player, Laurie picks him as the NSW halfback..

.it's made him delusional ..

I'm pretty sure he's read this stuff before but he quickly dismisses it as garbage because he's riding on the coat tails of his credentials,
his wife is probably saying 'don't worry about it love , you know you're the best
now let's go get a haircut.

problem is if we get rid of him he is the best defensive halfback in the game ,has the coolest conposure and if he tweeks his kicking game ( which is only a moderate adjustment) can be the best halfback in the game

Last edited by a moderator:

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Did anyone hear Des say that he only ran with 3 halves because he was worried about Lafai getting through the game? Sounded like a bit of bs to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.