• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
"But instead he persevered to make sure he got selected for origin" Thats because he wanted to play origin, not sure why people on here are blaming origin when the players want to play it more then they want to play for their club.
and the $50k a game they get has no influence?

That's my point, if you move it/get rid of it, then we wont have a problem. The players can focus on their club footy.

It's not even a great spectacle anymore, cant punch or shoulder charge, and they play the same boring footy as club games now

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
If an EPL player said he wanted to come back form injury early to try and prove his fitness for his national team, he would get hammered by the fans and media.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
It should be cut down from 3 games to one game.
exactly my thoughts

How can it be the pinnacle of our game, if some of the best players in the comp aren't even eligible?

Malla

Reaction score
exactly my thoughts

How can it be the pinnacle of our game, if some of the best players in the comp aren't even eligible?
That's right.

And people now need to make a choice between playing for their home country (ie. NZ, Samoa or England) or playing for Australia just to play the 'pinnacle game of Rugby League.

Rubbish and out-dated format.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
and the $50k a game they get has no influence?

That's my point, if you move it/get rid of it, then we wont have a problem. The players can focus on their club footy.

It's not even a great spectacle anymore, cant punch or shoulder charge, and they play the same boring footy as club games now
But the players dont want to get rid of it. The money is an influence to some of the players but the majority would still play even if they didnt get anything extra.

I agree its not the spectacle it once was due to rule changes but its the most watched sporting event in Australia plus it packs out stadiums and until that stops happening its not going anywhere

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Not going anywhere as its the C.R.E.A.M - Cash rules everything around me. Wu-tang bro

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
They should scrap byes and give every team the weeks off before each origin.

A week off for everyone before the first 2 origin games is the same as every team getting 2 byes as far as matches played goes. So its only 1 extra week needed in the season to have a week off before each origin. Surely they can just start the season a week earlier to pay for that and finish the season the same weekend. We know they wont reduce the rounds, coz rounds = revenue.

Everyone getting the same weeks off is much fairer in many ways.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not going anywhere as its the C.R.E.A.M - Cash rules everything around me. Wu-tang bro
Any thread with a Wu quote is a good thread. Get da money, dollar dollar bill yall!

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Whatever was said here was said in 2000 then 2005 then 2008 and we are still going strong.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think foreigners should be playing but we need to acknowledge not all players these days are from nsw or Qld. Take Curtis Rona for example. He misses out on the pinnacle of the game in australia because he happens to be from wa.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Whatever was said here was said in 2000 then 2005 then 2008 and we are still going strong.
As there is more and more top line NRL players who do not qualify, it will no longer be able to sell it self as the "pinnacle". SOO will still survive because of the rivalry and tradition of the fixture IMO.

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
s.o.o is fukked only 4 games this weekend with every team effected bar warriors

Slick

Young Gun
Reaction score
the system they should implement:

-call off the season for four weeks between rounds 13 and 26
-origin one on the first saturday, origin two a week and a half later on wednesday, a week and a half later on the next saturday origin three
-trophy presented to winners when they win rather than game three
-established players for rep teams who are left out are able to represent smaller nations during pacific tests and such which also happen this weekend, nz vs tonga, tonga vs samoa, nz vs samoa, and then a final, consecutive saturdays

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Loved it in the 90s. Don't care a great deal these days. I naturally get a bit hyped about half hour before the game because its footy, mid week & usually get to see a few of our blokes play.

Much more concerned about our club.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
The biggest issue with origin is players are missing for NRL and it depletes the comp.

They should schedule all byes in the 3 rounds prior to each origin game. Each club has 2 byes and only has origin players missing for one game. In these weeks there are 2 games for 2 weeks and 3 for the last week.

There are full nrl rounds in the week following origin and players can back up if they choose.

Get rid of the rep round and move all international games to post season.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
C'mon guys you complain about origin but I bet every one of you watches it.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The biggest issue with origin is players are missing for NRL and it depletes the comp.

They should schedule all byes in the 3 rounds prior to each origin game. Each club has 2 byes and only has origin players missing for one game. In these weeks there are 2 games for 2 weeks and 3 for the last week.

There are full nrl rounds in the week following origin and players can back up if they choose.

Get rid of the rep round and move all international games to post season.
You should be running the joint mate. Silva for NRL ceo

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
As there is more and more top line NRL players who do not qualify, it will no longer be able to sell it self as the "pinnacle". SOO will still survive because of the rivalry and tradition of the fixture IMO.

Even if it does not stay as the pinnacle its still the second best series behind the Aus vs kangaroos or maybe the GF.

GFs are never played as hard as SOO

Status
Not open for further replies.