Concussion in the eyes of james graham

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIRKDIGGGL3R

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He's tough as nails and is probably semi concussed every other game I feel. He is constantly copping hard knocks and high shots.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Wow! A players perspective throws the cat amongst the pigeons.I would still be inclined to err on the side of caution and bring the player off and this is probably what the NRl would want too to minimalise any chance of a player suffering any long term damage and to protect them legally.Would the NRl ever even consider something as radical as allowing a player to sign a waiver?
Only problem I suppose is if the guy is off under the concussion guidelines could their decision be questioned further down the line because it would be argued they possibly were concussed and they would not know what they were signing?

KimboSlice

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Wow! A players perspective throws the cat amongst the pigeons.I would still be inclined to err on the side of caution and bring the player off and this is probably what the NRl would want too to minimalise any chance of a player suffering any long term damage and to protect them legally.Would the NRl ever even consider something as radical as allowing a player to sign a waiver?
Only problem I suppose is if the guy is off under the concussion guidelines could their decision be questioned further down the line because it would be argued they possibly were concussed and they would not know what they were signing?
There it is, the voice of reason... you would be 100% correct in my humble opinion... i don't think a waiver signed with suspected or legit concussion would be worth its weight...

dogkat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If a person has a concussion, there's a strong chance they are not thinking rationally.

I'm disappointed in Graham for saying what he said. :(

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If a person has a concussion, there's a strong chance they are not thinking rationally.

Everyone is entitled to have their say and they are his opinions on the issue at hand. Thats the way he feels about it and he has just expressed himself. Whether its right or wrong they are his views and he is entitled to share them with everyone and have his say.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Everyone is disappointed in you for questioning king James.

Junkyard

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The question posed in the Washington Post around a week back was
Given that there is mounting evidence that in playing American Football, the dangers regarding brain injuries arising from concussion, not only in the professional league, but also affecting much younger players at school are being realised to be greater through ongoing study, and their is evidence that mothers are refusing to let their children play the game, and are pushing them into Soccer as a preferred safer game. The next point raised was an argument that one day American Football may become as distasteful as Boxing now is to the majority of people due to the danger involved, and that it is possible for the game to slide in popularity just as Boxing has in the US!!!
Pretty strong words
I believe we need to do everything in Rugby League to protect players, even if from themselves, from the risk of brain damage in latter years, by strictly enforcing concussion laws, with the view, knowing what we are learning on a medical level about the risks, of protecting the long term future of the game we all love

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I Know where he is coming from, league is a contact sport and players should understand the risks involved but you know the NRL would cop a hammering by everyone if someone got brain damage or died.

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a tough subject in terms of players deciding, when you break something you know straight away and know that ou need to go off, I remmeber I dislocated my shoulder in a tackle and when I stood up and felt it hanging down I knew I just had to walk off but I've also had a concussion from a head knock in a game and played on and you don't necessarily realise you're concussed until you're sitting down after the game and the whole room is shaking. The thing is if you get consecutive concussions because you thought you were right to play then it becomes a very serious issue and it's possible to even die in your sleep if you don't get treated properly for concussion.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I Know where he is coming from, league is a contact sport and players should understand the risks involved but you know the NRL would cop a hammering by everyone if someone got brain damage or died.
Valid point.It is very much an "if" question but your statement itself is good. The game is their livelihood and one missed game to a player of lesser talent can mean losing your position in the team, but still, should not the possibility of trouble further down the track also be a consideration. Just last year Liam Fulton retired after suffering numerous concussions, some dealt with in a correct manner by removal from the field and standing down the next week others he played on. The NRL as much as we may loathe them at times is between a rock and a hard place;damned if they do and damned if they don't.What would our opinion be of the current rules regarding concussion if a player suffers permanent damage because he was not properly treated or their club disregarded the guidelines set down?

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
A concussed player should be allowed to determine if they are fit to continue ffs!
No they should not be allowed to have any say in a decision like this.

Hardly any player would choose to stay off if they were concussed, they all lie about whatever they can lie about to get back on the field. The NRL has a duty of care to players and must implement indepedant doctors to make these calls.

It is all well and good to also say "we know the risks" but really? Do you? Is it worth one day being basically a vegetable because of stupid decisions? Is it worth wanting to kill yourself like has happened to many NFL players? They may know the risks, but it sounds like a "that will never happen to ME" kind of knowledge and as such the NRL needs to save the players from themselves.

Malla

Reaction score
I think James was taken out of context - and it relates to the NRL just taking this concussion thing too far. The concussion test is supposed to be a guide to identify whether the player is concussed or not - it is not a tool to say that if the player 'passes' the concussion test then they are okay to go back on the field and this is where club doctors are mis-using it.

I think James meant that they can skip all that concussion testing and just simply ask the player if they are alright - otherwise, prevent them from going back on. Simple.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Peter Fitzsimmons is wrong and has always been wrong.

James Graham is 100% spot on, if the player gets a head knock but wants to play on, then let him play on. Whats the worse that could happen?

Drs shouldnt be the ones making the decisions whether the player who suffered a head should not play on, its upto the players and coaches.

KimboSlice

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Peter Fitzsimmons is wrong and has always been wrong.

James Graham is 100% spot on, if the player gets a head knock but wants to play on, then let him play on. Whats the worse that could happen?
Could die, no biggie.... I guess...

What The Bark?

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If a concussed player struggles on the most part to differentiate which day it is, how is he suppose to distinguish if he's fine to play on?

Player health is the significant issue at hand.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
the balance test is only speculative and is not enough to conclude the player has concussion , if the NRL are acting under duty of care then they should call an ambulance otherwise they are being incompetent or neglectful which is makes them just as liable as letting them play.

I think they have gone overboard with the concussion rule and I hope it bites them in the bum.

Status
Not open for further replies.