Where did it go wrong in your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ok so my take on the game is this.

We started poorly with some spilled ball. We needed to get off to a strong start and shot ourselves in the foot with some unforced errors in the opening stages. Nobodies fault but our own there. We defended well throughout the first half though.

At 6-14 we were still in it, but a blatant pass off the ground let them jump ahead (via a G burgess try i think) when the ball should have been called back for a play the ball or turned over to us. After that i thought that a souths player popped a pass up while on his back that went forward and bounced back then one of our players (reynolds i think) was penalized for a high shot (arm down along the centre of chest with elbow gently touching the neck which i thought was nothing to even penalize let alone report). Now the knock on should have meant the tackle wasn't even questioned and a turnover given. Instead we copped a penalty and Souths scored again from it. After that we folded.

Our kick chase through the second half was not always good. That hurt us a lot, especially when Inglis made his big run. Nobody to blame but ourselves for not being there in numbers to stop him. It was a poor kick to have found him on the full anyway. We still need some improvement there for next season.

I counted six occasions in the second half where the footage showed the 10 metre zone and four of those occasions when Souths had a player offside who disrupted the play. I also counted two charge downs that were supposedly not played at. Notably the footage didn't give a replay of these two incidents nor others where i thought the ref should have blown the whistle. I was not unhappy with the refereeing in the first half but the second half gave us some pretty shit marginal calls. The script said Souths had to get a premiership after not having been able to get there for so long and the refereeing followed that script.

The refs are learning to make their biased calls less blatant and where they can't do it without being blatant they will change a rule or two in the offseason so an area with black and white rulings that are not disputable, will have rules that give them a grey area to work with. I've supported league since i was old enough to know what was going on but the refereeing issues are making it hard to justify following this sport. Half the time when i think a call should go one way i am left scratching my head about what obscure ruling they used to justify their action in giving the ball to the offending side. I am not growing stupid, the rules should not be deviating from logic more every season, but we keep seeing new areas of confusion crop up in terms of how the game is refereed.

As far as our halves go, Reynolds looked like he was trying but they kept Hodkinson very quiet. We deviated a long way from the game plan and the result showed.

I'll go to bed sad about the result and a little dirty about them capitulating near the end, but we had a great year to come as far as we did. I may be just another biased supporter, but i half expected that if we lost it would be because Souths were given some questionable decisions from the refs. I don't think this game would have gone the way it did if a few calls were made differently.

Sour grapes out of the way i'll say that I am proud of the effort that got us here and that i think a few poor calls against us really put us on the back foot. Mick Ennis would have made a big difference but sadly his season ended a week too soon. This year was a bit of a rollercoaster for us. I'm just sad that in the end was not the one we wanted. We will be right back in the fight next year though. Hopefully we can overcome the last obstacle if we make the GF next season.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
When we got to 6-6 and were on top. At that moment it was our queue to go on with it. Instead we let them change the momentum with lazy defense and then let in George Burgess almost untouched.

That was the game right there.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Poor ball control, no ennis, poor halfs and our forwards got dominated. Plus we had to defend to much and we were always going to break.

CHUCKYBOY

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We started very poorly but when we started to get back into it we were put on the back foot. How were the charge downs not played at. We also had souths knock on just outside their goal line in the field of play but Hayne said it was a dropout so we would not get a repeat set.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We started very poorly but when we started to get back into it we were put on the back foot. How were the charge downs not played at. We also had souths knock on just outside their goal line in the field of play but Hayne said it was a dropout so we would not get a repeat set.
I cannot understand how the Souffs player who dived on that ball after the knock on being in an offside position, resulted in a drop out? Had I think it was Inglis not been there to do that, we fall on the ball and score...? Was LIVID about that decision.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I got the ugly feeling of knowing we will lose when they scored first.

They were way hungrier than we were.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I got the ugly feeling of knowing we will lose when they scored first.

They were way hungrier than we were.
They seemed to have their way with us!

We should have played one more pass from the ruck and attacked their fringes, but as appears to be common for us, when we're under pressure we revert to one out play.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Our starts to both halves was pffft!

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Knew we were in for a long night when we started the game so poorly

When the score was 6-6, the game was there for the taking but Souths wanted it more and that Burgess try just killed all the hard work we did

jimmyjames

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Souths were ruled to play an error free 1st half to our error ridden first half.

Our forward were matched, possibly beaten.

No Ennis, Hodko at 3/4 health.

Awful 2nd half start.

Was over when AR got 2 goes at the penalty goal.

Bluewhiteforeva

New Pup
Reaction score
To be only 6-0 down at half time was amazing as we were playing rubbish with poor handling and dumb last play options and that continued straight after half time. When we got to 6-6 we had a real opportunity to win with momentum but gutted when we didn't follow up with defence and burgess pushed passed 3 defenders to score. Souths played well, but we let ourselves down badly at key moments in the game.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
3 shit runs from Brown and Perrett put us in bad field position allowing Burgess to score. They killed our momentum.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Same reason we went on the run of loses at the back end of the season....... completed sets......... we made too many errors, and in doing so, gave up too much field position, did too much goal line defence and lost too much energy getting even over the first 50 minutes.

Really, those first 3 errors so early on set the tone for the game.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Early mistakes/penalties, getting pushed back and we were too slow to react to things.

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Kicking game was poor, instead of putting pressure on Souths they had most of their 1st hit ups on the 30m line.

Didn't help with Ennis out and Hodkinson on one leg

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Too many errors, too much defensive work, ran out of gas

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Its simple really, bad control was terrible due to lack of direction that spawned from our spine being destroyed.
Perrett toiled but couldnt feed off anyone.
Reynolds injured first set
Hodkinson obviously injured
Ennis out and Mbye battling in an unfamiliar position.
I tried to remain optimistic all week, but as soon as all that pre match souths bullshit rolled out i knew we were very very long odds.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Came down to the team being poor in attack and not taking opportunities to score was our downfall. The Souths forwards were making easy yardage through the middle of the park,

Status
Not open for further replies.