My Bulldogs Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Packy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Born in Bankstown in '76. LIved in Riverwood and Padstow. Grandfather was a Dogs fan and passed on down to my mum and I. Remember moments of the GF's from the 80's. Mum worked in the leagues club. Got to meet a few of my heroes as a youngun but didn't really appreciate it until I was older. Went to a maybe 20 Belmore games before moving to QLD at 12.

Never even considered another team. Have 3 kids now. Wife wants them to be Bronco fans but she has no chance.

Old Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I have told my story before. But I will repeat as it is something I treasure. I was brought up in Campsie many beers ago. My father played lower grades for the club, as did I. I had a lot to do with the last Bulldogs Australian captain, George Peponis. My very special moment though was when I was 14 and I went to Belmore to watch the Doggies train. The great Clive Churchill was our coach. After the general traing session, Clive and Les Johns took to the field to practice kicking. In those days the "kicking duel" was in vogue. Les won, but Clive wasn't far behind. And then I remember us playing Balmain and the scores were level. Kevin Uow Yeh streaked away down the western touchline and looked certain to score before John came from nowhere to put him into touch. Then we forced the Tigers to a line drop-out. Les caught it on the full and immediately kicked a field goal to win the game. Wow. What memories.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I remember Les Johns too. One of my favourite players of that time. It was such a shame that injury forced him to retire before his time. You would also remember George Taylforth who later went on to play for Cronulla. Remember seeing George kick a field goal from a few metres inside his own half. Massive boot. So many good memories and I feel that tomorrow we will make another.

Old Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was there the day George did that. But I had forgotten that he went to Cronulla. I remember that we had a red-headeded Raper at lock.

N

Natboy

Good story mate.
I grew up on the north coast and didn't have a local team.
My Pop & great grandfather played for Souths, Dad and uncle played for wests but all of dad's side are souths supporters.
All of mum's side were magpie fans. I've gone for the bulldogs since I was 2 because I liked dogs and the colour blue!
My family didn't care and I've been a massive fan ever since. My first game was on the hill at Belmore and I remember loving watching Baa and Turvey carve up a magpies side

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Good story mate.
I grew up on the north coast and didn't have a local team.
My Pop & great grandfather played for Souths, Dad and uncle played for wests but all of dad's side are souths supporters.
All of mum's side were magpie fans. I've gone for the bulldogs since I was 2 because I liked dogs and the colour blue!
My family didn't care and I've been a massive fan ever since. My first game was on the hill at Belmore and I remember loving watching Baa and Turvey carve up a magpies side
Damn beach boy lol, also Sunday would of been uncomfortable ey

N

Natboy

Damn beach boy lol, also Sunday would of been uncomfortable ey
Mixed emotions mate. I have wanted souths to win since I was little but not at our expense and the build up and performance by the media and NRL was disgraceful

Guardog

You Dirty Dog
Reaction score
Wow, good on you. I hope your day, albeit far away from our spiritual home will be a good one. Love the passion that you try to get to games when you can, can't fault you for that. Once you get the blue and white in your blood you can never let go. Enjoy the ride.
Thanks Doggyluva. I like to think that I have created a little bit of Belmore into the Doggies Shed. It is my shrine to the Dog's. Photos to follow when I have cleaned up the place.

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
I remember Les Johns too. One of my favourite players of that time. It was such a shame that injury forced him to retire before his time. You would also remember George Taylforth who later went on to play for Cronulla. Remember seeing George kick a field goal from a few metres inside his own half. Massive boot. So many good memories and I feel that tomorrow we will make another.
Stayed down at mums for the gf , She kept commenting how old Les Johns looked at said - he used to be handsome / cute . I said yeah he would be 70 now, 70 ! she says - I then reminded her that she turns 71 in a few weeks lol

Reaction score
I was born in Nepean hospital in 1991. Borned into a family where the entire extended family were and are Bulldogs fans (bar 4 or 5).

My mum grew up around the corner of Belmore Sports Ground and attended many a game as you could imagine. She has rode the waves since she was a you girl in the 70s and my first memory I havr of my life all involves Bulldogs. Two Bulldogs mascots faking a fight against a Bear mascot in the mid 90s. As far as thr actual footy goes, my earliest memories are watching Craig Polla-mounter, Darren Brit, Jason Hetherington, Daryl Halligan and a young Corey, Stephen and Glenn Huges.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I lived in Gladstone, Queensland until I was 3 when my oldies broke up. My Mum moved near her parents at Wiley Park and like CK I went to Lakemba Public School. That would have been the early 80's and everyone at school was talking about the Bulldogs. My Mum met a new bloke who was raised in Lakemba who took me to my first game at Belmore. We moved to Blacktown in '83 with most of the school being Parra fans giving me shit about how Parra will smash us, but it was me giving them shit about the Doggies winning. I saw Steve Mortimer queuing up for food at the Easter Show sometime around then and I was star struck. I was wearing my bulldogs tracksuit of course.

I live in Parra territory now but my 3 boys are hardcore Doggies fans. They never had a chance to support Parra. My 5 y.o. daughter couldn't give 2 shits about footy yet. My middle son was crying at full time on Sunday!!! The rest of the people at the barbie thought he had hurt himself but it was just the Doggies losing.

dog whisperer

Waterboy
Reaction score
Born at Canterbury hospital in 1978. Lived in Belmore since I was born, then moved out in 1997 to another nearby suburb and have been there ever since. Belmore will always be my home. We used to walk down to the games on Sunday afternoon. I'm blue and white to the bone, so is my wife and three kids. When I got time off work I go and watch the boys train, I'm like a kid in a candy store when I watch the boys train, I feel like I have them all to myself when there's no one there except me watching them train.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Stayed down at mums for the gf , She kept commenting how old Les Johns looked at said - he used to be handsome / cute . I said yeah he would be 70 now, 70 ! she says - I then reminded her that she turns 71 in a few weeks lol
Yes I must confess that even though I was only 10 when I first saw him play, I too thought he looked cute. From memory I heard that Johnnsy has been in ill health lately so it was good to see him on GF day. Seeing him beside McCarthy just made me remember just how short he is; no worry for him to play fullback back then.

CB1935

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Great story Junkyard , dont want to bore you with mine , but will be making the 900km trip down from Toowoomba , have lots of my old Sydney Bulldog mates to catch up with before and after the game .
Just remember - what goes on on tour - stays on tour ! Go the dogs
Off topic for a bit... but does anyone remember the time we were called sydney bulldogs and if I recall correctly we played out of parra stadium ??

Bloody disgrace

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Off topic for a bit... but does anyone remember the time we were called sydney bulldogs and if I recall correctly we played out of parra stadium ??

Bloody disgrace
Wasn't that in the super league?

Status
Not open for further replies.