Marwan Koukash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Koukash continues to blame the games governing body in England for holding RL back.

he may have a case though but because he cant get things his way, the games governing body shouldn't be blamed for this

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Koukash continues to blame the games governing body in England for holding RL back.

he may have a case though but because he cant get things his way, the games governing body shouldn't be blamed for this
Can't argue with a word of this.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't understand the negative position on private ownership of clubs in the NRL, if someone wants to pump money into a club, how can that be a bad thing?

The NRL should be wining and dining the guy, and making that happen (for the right price).
Two words. Nathan Tinkler.

My main concern with private ownership is that once the rich dude loses interest in his plaything (Clive Palmer's soccer team) or goes broke, you're stuffed unless another rich dude tskes his place. But of course there are success stories (Rabbitohs), for now.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes it would. But he has more chance of f*cking a unicorn at Elvis's next concert than of making League bigger than Union just because he prefers the game.

Russell Crowe has immeasurably higher profile in the world than Koukash does and (no criticism of Crowe) how much impact has he been able to have outside of Rugby League heartlands? Hell, Koukash hasn't really been able to boost crowds at Salford, let alone in Union heartland.
Rusty has had some impact. Wears his Rabbitohs gear around Hollywood and takes souths over for trial game etc... They get the exposure other clubs dream about.... But I guess its still pretty minimal in the grand scheme of things.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rusty has had some impact. Wears his Rabbitohs gear around Hollywood and takes souths over for trial game etc... They get the exposure other clubs dream about.... But I guess its still pretty minimal in the grand scheme of things.
Crowe has done more for the code than anyone could reasonably expect him to, but even with this, most Americans have no idea that Rugby Union and Rugby League are not the same game.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I guess you could say Crowe has been good for Souths but what have they actually won since he took over? Yes, he's attracted top players, financially secured them temporarily and made them genuine contenders but they still haven't won anything on the field. Last time they won/made a Grand Final was 1971.

I'd rather be owned/run/backed by a successful Leagues club than an actor whos money and time is limited.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I guess you could say Crowe has been good for Souths but what have they actually won since he took over? Yes, he's attracted top players, financially secured them temporarily and made them genuine contenders but they still haven't won anything on the field. Last time they won/made a Grand Final was 1971.

I'd rather be owned/run/backed by a successful Leagues club than an actor whos money and time is limited.
Well of course we prefer to be owned by the community but Souffs ten years ago didn't have that luxury.

I think they (souths) have done a good job in building crowds, sponsors etc. It has become a place players want to play. But of course the real success will be a premiership. I think one will come if not this year, in the next few.

N

Natboy

If success is based on premierships wins we haven't been too good in the past 25 years :(

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Well of course we prefer to be owned by the community but Souffs ten years ago didn't have that luxury.

I think they (souths) have done a good job in building crowds, sponsors etc. It has become a place players want to play. But of course the real success will be a premiership. I think one will come if not this year, in the next few.
I have a feeling, if they don't win it this year, they won't win one any time soon. They've been in this position the past 2 years and choked hard. Their time is tonight, IMO.

If success is based on premierships wins we haven't been too good in the past 25 years :(
2 in the past 25 years, 6 since 1980. Not bad, IMO. But throw in Finals appearances, minor premierships and things like that and Souffs have had f*ck all up until Crowe and Tugger bought them.

What happens when Crowe doesn't get any more movies?

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The nutter seems to be spitting the dummy at Salford. After his side got a 52-6 hammering at the weekend, he tweeted "I've had enough". The rumours are starting that he might be pulling out of the club after all (his long-forgotten days of trying to get Sonny Bill and Benji Marshall to Salford seem a long time ago, eh?) The idea of him launching a UK-based NRL team is simply insane.

(On a side note, I am the only one childish enough to find his Twitter handle drmarwank a little bit funny?)

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't understand the negative position on private ownership of clubs in the NRL, if someone wants to pump money into a club, how can that be a bad thing?

The NRL should be wining and dining the guy, and making that happen (for the right price).
My issue with private ownership is shown by the Clive Palmer model. Bought the Gold Coast A-League team, pumped a butt load of money into them. Decided he wasn't getting bang for his buck and that he could run the A-League better. One massive feud with Frank Lowry later, he packs his bags and shuts down the team for good (after some mysterious decisions like making a 17 yo captain) like a petulant child not getting his own way. He didn't miss the cash and the only ones who suffered were the fans.

Newcastle went down the same path they just managed to avoid dissolution.

These rich guys didn't become rich because they gave their money away.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The difference with Crowe isn't that a rich guy bought a club it's that a fan with money bought the club. Big difference.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
My issue with private ownership is shown by the Clive Palmer model. Bought the Gold Coast A-League team, pumped a butt load of money into them. Decided he wasn't getting bang for his buck and that he could run the A-League better. One massive feud with Frank Lowry later, he packs his bags and shuts down the team for good (after some mysterious decisions like making a 17 yo captain) like a petulant child not getting his own way. He didn't miss the cash and the only ones who suffered were the fans.

Newcastle went down the same path they just managed to avoid dissolution.

These rich guys didn't become rich because they gave their money away.
Funny you say that as Clive Palmer is the perfect Australian comparison. A rich attention whore.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.