Canterbury Bulldogs' No.1 fan Tayta goes from cancer survivor to social media phenome

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
She loves number six but Nahia El-Hage, or Tayta to her 25,000 followers on Facebook, could be Canterbury's No.1 fan.

What began as a ploy to lift her spirits during a battle with cancer has now become a social media phenomenon.

Tayta, who could be described as the Michael Ennis of grandmothers because of her sharp tongue, is the face of the Bulldogs fan base and has turned George Roumanous into a household name in the Canterbury area.

"Her favourite player is Josh Reynolds but she can't pronounce his name, so she calls him George Roumanous," her grandson Nassim Bitar said.

During Origin, Reynolds' NSW teammates were all calling him George, his Bulldogs teammates then called him George, and now people on the street call him George.

El-Hage cannot even walk down the streets of Campsie without dozens of people stopping her to say, 'Hello, Tayta.' That's all thanks to Tayta Tube.

She only speaks a few words of English, and many of those cannot be repeated in this newspaper, but her trash-talking video clips have gone viral. She takes aim at Queenslanders "Friday" (Sam Thaiday), "Barbara" (Ben Barba) and "Spider" (Billy Slater), while also confessing her love for "George Roumanous" (Reynolds), "John Wayne" (Jarryd Hayne), Trent Hodkinson and Robbie Farah. She shows off her best version of the Hayne Plane while re-enacting Johnathan Thurston's antics in Origin aimed at Josh Reynolds.

It is the funny side to a story that began in heartache for this Bulldogs tragic, who had a breast removed this year after she was diagnosed with cancer. "After it they told her she had to do chemotherapy and she cried because she didn't want to lose her hair," Bitar said. "I visited every day and I told her relax, I'm not going to let you do chemo, just light your candles and pray. I started making a couple of videos and it was getting her mind off things and she was getting happy and loving the fame so I came up with Tayta Tube."

Despite following the Bulldogs for 35 years and living a couple of streets away from Belmore Sportsground during her early years in Australia, El-Hage has never been to a game, nor does she plan to go to one.

"She likes to sit on her own and swear at the television," Bitar said. "[She] takes her anger out at home when no one's around. If the Bulldogs lose, she always blames the referee for the loss."

Reynolds, who got into trouble from Tayta for not following the Lebanese tradition and giving two kisses on the cheek in greeting the first time he met her, is like her adopted son. He has been friends with her grandchildren for several years and described her as a second mother, before El-Hage chimed in to say "second Tayta".

"Tayta is very famous around the area and a lot of people in the community have just started calling me George Roumanous," Reynolds said. "A few of the boys didn't know what it meant so I told them to have a look and now everyone knows Tayta. We love our weekly updates. If anyone's ever putting me down, she's on to them. She's a bit of a second mum, helping me out."

Tayta also featured in Beau Ryan's video clip for his debut song Where You From, and has been offered several corporate opportunities to attend Bulldogs games, which she has politely declined. But if the Bulldogs can win the premiership, there might be a party in the streets of Belmore in her honour.

Source

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Love her, but my Tayta puts her on show with her swearing lol

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I love how the oldies just come up with their own ideas for player names. My Nunu thinks the following players actually exist:

- Jonatin McPherson (Jonathon Thurston)
- Brett Trembooly (Brett Kimmorley)
- Hasiri El Mazri (Hazem El Masri)
- "The black one" - Any dark coloured player

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Bahahahahahahaha @ Trembooly

Moey999

Pitbull
Reaction score
Such a feel good story, she's a cutie and love watching her videos. Makes me proud that Reynolds is so close with her, love having great ambassadors at our club.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
She is so cute lol, bloody awesome work!

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quality supporter, has Tayta registered with the Kennel or received an invite to join?

~cb.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
She reminds me of my Tayta who passed on a few years ago. When I had not visited her for several weeks and walk in the door, the moment she laid eyes on me, the swearing would start and not stop until I reached her. As I bend down to kiss her, her swearing transforms into a shower of praise as she kisses me several times. These are the moments you cherish.

This Tayta is dong something special for all of us - with her wicked humour and kind heart, she and her grandson have found another way to connect us all. All my cousins who support other teams are totally in love with her and her antics.

If I ever meet her, I am going to give her a bit of her own medicine. I am going to plan for someone to say, this is Tayta and I am going to respond, Who? Toyota? ;)

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
bwahahaha she calls Barba, Barbara and Slater, Spider

She is awesome

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
It's articles like this that don't get enough press in the media, instead they tend to focus on the bad side of things.

Our club has some of the best ambassadors for the game, yet the media would rather focus on the bad.

LCD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That is just freaking awesome

DoggiesUtd

ps3- DoggiesUtd
Reaction score
fark i love Tayta!
reminds me of my grandparents who only go for the dogs coz of me!
lol best!

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
She is pretty funny, been watching vids people have been sharing of her on facebook.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
We definitely have to party oustside her house if we beat the Pamfers.

She would love it.

A

Alexander the Great

She loves number six but Nahia El-Hage, or Tayta to her 25,000 followers on Facebook, could be Canterbury's No.1 fan.

What began as a ploy to lift her spirits during a battle with cancer has now become a social media phenomenon.

Tayta, who could be described as the Michael Ennis of grandmothers because of her sharp tongue, is the face of the Bulldogs fan base and has turned George Roumanous into a household name in the Canterbury area.

"Her favourite player is Josh Reynolds but she can't pronounce his name, so she calls him George Roumanous," her grandson Nassim Bitar said.

During Origin, Reynolds' NSW teammates were all calling him George, his Bulldogs teammates then called him George, and now people on the street call him George.

El-Hage cannot even walk down the streets of Campsie without dozens of people stopping her to say, 'Hello, Tayta.' That's all thanks to Tayta Tube.

She only speaks a few words of English, and many of those cannot be repeated in this newspaper, but her trash-talking video clips have gone viral. She takes aim at Queenslanders "Friday" (Sam Thaiday), "Barbara" (Ben Barba) and "Spider" (Billy Slater), while also confessing her love for "George Roumanous" (Reynolds), "John Wayne" (Jarryd Hayne), Trent Hodkinson and Robbie Farah. She shows off her best version of the Hayne Plane while re-enacting Johnathan Thurston's antics in Origin aimed at Josh Reynolds.

It is the funny side to a story that began in heartache for this Bulldogs tragic, who had a breast removed this year after she was diagnosed with cancer. "After it they told her she had to do chemotherapy and she cried because she didn't want to lose her hair," Bitar said. "I visited every day and I told her relax, I'm not going to let you do chemo, just light your candles and pray. I started making a couple of videos and it was getting her mind off things and she was getting happy and loving the fame so I came up with Tayta Tube."

Despite following the Bulldogs for 35 years and living a couple of streets away from Belmore Sportsground during her early years in Australia, El-Hage has never been to a game, nor does she plan to go to one.

"She likes to sit on her own and swear at the television," Bitar said. "[She] takes her anger out at home when no one's around. If the Bulldogs lose, she always blames the referee for the loss."

Reynolds, who got into trouble from Tayta for not following the Lebanese tradition and giving two kisses on the cheek in greeting the first time he met her, is like her adopted son. He has been friends with her grandchildren for several years and described her as a second mother, before El-Hage chimed in to say "second Tayta".

"Tayta is very famous around the area and a lot of people in the community have just started calling me George Roumanous," Reynolds said. "A few of the boys didn't know what it meant so I told them to have a look and now everyone knows Tayta. We love our weekly updates. If anyone's ever putting me down, she's on to them. She's a bit of a second mum, helping me out."

Tayta also featured in Beau Ryan's video clip for his debut song Where You From, and has been offered several corporate opportunities to attend Bulldogs games, which she has politely declined. But if the Bulldogs can win the premiership, there might be a party in the streets of Belmore in her honour.

Source
Nothing soft comes outta campsie...
Love her antics!

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
My Nan lived in Belmore, near the ground, and was just as outspoken. It always made the game more enjoyable to drop by her place afterwards for a cuppa and a chat.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
We definitely have to party oustside her house if we beat the Pamfers.

She would love it.
They have had some parties outside her houses a few times with Reynolds there lol, that would be an awesome way to surprise her ey!

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
"Tayta" is my grandmother (for real ). She is a one eyed dogs fan from way back, 95% of the family are roosters fans. Tayta gives them hell.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Why haven't we been told about her before ?!?!?

She's awesome !!! :becky:

Status
Not open for further replies.