Van's and couriers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
So I'm thinking of buying a van for courier work, I just wanted to ask you guys if you have any relatives or friends in this industry?
i have been told to stay away from allied as they treat their drivers like shit!
And also I had my heart set on a Mercedes sprinter 2011 For 29k done 129000kms
i haven't heard anything bad about these vans.
anyone had any experience win them? My biggest worry is that it's too big but then again it's what I like about it, or would I be better off going with a hiace, really prefer not to tho.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
thanks in advence
cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The good old HiAce lol, we still have my oldmans one from the late 80s he's owned running well.

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The good old HiAce lol, we still have my oldmans one from the late 80s he's owned running well.
Haha yeah reliable as but is it as comfortable as a sprinter seeing I'm going to be spending 8-10 hours a day in it, not too keen on the hiace

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Haha yeah reliable as but is it as comfortable as a sprinter seeing I'm going to be spending 8-10 hours a day in it, not too keen on the hiace
Haha yeah and true, the old school sprinters are hot lol we want to stance the HiAce but my oldman is connected to it ffs

What about those new big Hyundai vans digit the model but they same big and comfy

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Haha yeah and true, the old school sprinters are hot lol we want to stance the HiAce but my oldman is connected to it ffsWhat about those new big Hyundai vans digit the model but they same big and comfy
Hyundai digit just has a look on car sales the only Hyundai that came up was the iload and I hear they get tired very quickly, won't rush it yet, only problem is I think it may be a tad too high as I'll use it personally also no use having a third car just sitting there for weekend drives, not worth it IMO

Moey999

Pitbull
Reaction score
Hiaces are good tbh, our family has one that's driven through the whole of western Sydney for about 9 hours a day and never given us trouble

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hyundai digit just has a look on car sales the only Hyundai that came up was the iload and I hear they get tired very quickly, won't rush it yet, only problem is I think it may be a tad too high as I'll use it personally also no use having a third car just sitting there for weekend drives, not worth it IMO
Autocorrect changed forgot to digit ffs lol

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd go the hiace for sure, and the current model is plenty comfy enough to spend all day in,
Those sprinter vans are no where near as reliable as a hiace,

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Checkout VW Tansporter too. I have the cab chassis version and it's been awesome. Very comfy. I just got an after market stereo with reversing camera to make parking easier. Whatever you decide just make sure you get a diesel otherwise you will spend all your earnings on fuel. I get 800km's off about 70L in city driving.

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much money can you make as a courier? I always wondered if it was something worth getting into

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have two friends doing corriers and one has got contract with australia post.
Both are pretty happy as they make around 80-100 ks / year, with felxible easy working hours, no usual stress of work etc.
They are trying to buy another van to make extra money but the problem for both of them is getting extra drivers who are reliable who wont leave after 3 months cos the 2nd van would just be sitting idle doing nothing.
Key thing in this game is to get good contracts, once you get a good long term contract then you are laughing.

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd go the hiace for sure, and the current model is plenty comfy enough to spend all day in,
Those sprinter vans are no where near as reliable as a hiace,
What I really hate about the hiaces is the door is directly in above the front wheels, so getting in and out can get quite annoying after doing it constantly all day! Otherwise I love the versatility, power is great, even driving it ain't all bad. still got some test drives to do with the sprinter I don't have enough info about them besides I love these newer ones, I hear bad things pre2005

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Checkout VW Tansporter too. I have the cab chassis version and it's been awesome. Very comfy. I just got an after market stereo with reversing camera to make parking easier. Whatever you decide just make sure you get a diesel otherwise you will spend all your earnings on fuel. I get 800km's off about 70L in city driving.
Yeah had a London hard look at them, I hear good things about them too quite reliable, it's all come down to the sprinter, hiace, and transporter haven't ever driven them but will def take one for a test drive

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I have two friends doing corriers and one has got contract with australia post.
Both are pretty happy as they make around 80-100 ks / year, with felxible easy working hours, no usual stress of work etc.
They are trying to buy another van to make extra money but the problem for both of them is getting extra drivers who are reliable who wont leave after 3 months cos the 2nd van would just be sitting idle doing nothing.
Key thing in this game is to get good contracts, once you get a good long term contract then you are laughing.
Id love to start off in Australia post but I don't think are too keen on new drivers, you could almost be guaranteed that it would be professional.
who does your other mate work for? Also what do they drive and do they have any long term probs with their vans?

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Id love to start off in Australia post but I don't think are too keen on new drivers, you could almost be guaranteed that it would be professional.
who does your other mate work for? Also what do they drive and do they have any long term probs with their vans?
i think it is his own business and he is got a contract from australia post , which is supposed to be a pretty good long term contract.

never mentioned any issues with the van or stuff, just complained about the speeding fine he has got cos apparently they get their traffic offence charged on a higher scale. he got fined $800 for speeding above 15 km which for normal drivers should be $300 or something.

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
Drove a diesel Transporter occasionally for a job when I was younger mostly in CBD/North Sydney/Eastern Subs. Agree with this post.

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
i think it is his own business and he is got a contract from australia post , which is supposed to be a pretty good long term contract.

never mentioned any issues with the van or stuff, just complained about the speeding fine he has got cos apparently they get their traffic offence charged on a higher scale. he got fined $800 for speeding above 15 km which for normal drivers should be $300 or something.
Damn that's fukkked so I'll have to work a week to pay that shit off! Def not worth speeding

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I did about 12 months work for a few companies (about 10 years ago). Most courier companies will promise you the world and when you get in there it's a different story, at that time they were talking $800-$1000 per week and it ended up more like $500-$600 many weeks.

From drivers I used to speak to Allied pay you in arrears 3 weeks so you won't get any money for a while. You also need to know streets when you go in as they might get you to do a mini test - ie: what is the best way to get from Chatswood to the City and you have to name the road.

My suggestion is don't buy an expensive van atm, you might not like the work (many people don't). Buy a van for $4-$5k, try it and if you're ok with it you'll always get your money back on that van if you sell it and get a better van.

Also bigger vans aren't always better in courier work, you might end up with work that takes ages to load and unload (pallets) for jobs which don't earn alot of money.

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I did about 12 months work for a few companies (about 10 years ago). Most courier companies will promise you the world and when you get in there it's a different story, at that time they were talking $800-$1000 per week and it ended up more like $500-$600 many weeks.

From drivers I used to speak to Allied pay you in arrears 3 weeks so you won't get any money for a while. You also need to know streets when you go in as they might get you to do a mini test - ie: what is the best way to get from Chatswood to the City and you have to name the road.

My suggestion is don't buy an expensive van atm, you might not like the work (many people don't). Buy a van for $4-$5k, try it and if you're ok with it you'll always get your money back on that van if you sell it and get a better van.

Also bigger vans aren't always better in courier work, you might end up with work that takes ages to load and unload (pallets) for jobs which don't earn alot of money.
Yeah I'm aware of allied but, I don't mind driving so I don't think I'll mind the job.
good point about the size of the van ill have to make some more inquiries whether it's worth investing in a 2t van or 1t, om only worried about the size tbh if I'm going to get the same amount of work I'll have to settle for the 1t

Status
Not open for further replies.