Bulldogs hope to unearth new DCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneralLee01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Honestly I watched a game or two of his in under 20s and didn't think he was anything special. I mean I've seen better talent come through the ranks and never make it to the big time.
Ok but with first graders around him he will excel as he ain't the only spark in u20 he will only have to worry about his own game.

Ndawai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly I watched a game or two of his in under 20s and didn't think he was anything special. I mean I've seen better talent come through the ranks and never make it to the big time.
I agree with you on that , there can be so much talent but once they take that extra step and play 1st grade they can either look very average around players that are killing it week in and out.

Lets hope the Dogs dont rush him in if hes not ready.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Someone with the club at heart has gotta take the scene by storm, Barba proved he was a mercenary but I don't think our young guns showed what they are capable of, first grade is not something to be taken for grant..

D

DoggyStylz

Ok to summarise the article. ..... manly can suck on a fat c0ck

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone with the club at heart has gotta take the scene by storm, Barba proved he was a mercenary but I don't think our young guns showed what they are capable of, first grade is not something to be taken for grant..
Which young guns are you talking about? I thought Lafai was quite good last season. Jackson and Finucane weren't bad either. Low shouldn't play FG again unless he improves exponentially.

It will be interesting to see which youngsters will be in Des' plans. 2014 could potentially be a big year for Klemmer, Templeman, Phillips, Sila, Mbye or Burr etc....

Billy Bean

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I disagree .... I see a FOOTBALLER who has great natural instincts for the game,
in an era of athletes. The type of skill set that will be enhanced playing alongside better players at the higher level.Totally agree with others, that he might be a number 6 down the track. Aussie rules background, kicks the ball beautifully. Look at his technique in training pics.
Probably 2015 for Pat, but you never know.

Pa-28

Bring back the BIFF!!!
Reaction score
Agree. After watching him and Barba come through the 20's there is a massive gap in ability. And to think not even Barba was up to week in week out first grade after 20's Tempo still has a long way to go.

Like any young kid, he has to get used to playing against men and prove him self in NSW cup first, then I'm sure if he impresses he will get his shot.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Dont see him in the halves unless we lose Hod or Reynolds. The article calls im a fullback, and like Luke Patten.

Ive seen Pat play plenty in Holden Cup on Fox. He has a lot of ability, and does read a game very well. His only concern, especially if he bypasses NSW Cup on is way to FG, it his defence. More often than not even future stars in the game start out defending badly, the step up in that discipline from juniors to FG is phenomenal.

He has access to the best coaching and training now in FG, so i hope his adjustment period is short.

If he is a starter you would think that means the backline would be Perrett, Morris, Inu, Lafai, Templeman, with Brown the no.1 backup/reserve. Brown can cover centres and wings but maybe not fullback.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think he's a long term option in halves hell cut his teeth in nsw cup and if th goes crap then hell go to 5/8 reynolds to half

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Grub

Reynolds and templeton 6 and 7 this year, now we have some spark and some attack in the halves

Ndawai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
we do need some speed down the guts, the forwards look slim and fit this season it will be a fullbacks dream to be running off offloads from big Kas and others as they attract 2-3 players.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
His QLD Cup coach says he's a fullback and like Patten.
Our recruitment guru Cleal says his future in in the halves and he reminds him of DCE.

I'm going to side with Cleal on this one. He knows his players.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I disagree also....Templeman can definately play! To that other post Lockyer did start at FB and then went 5/8 and this is a good path for Templeman. From the dozen or so games I've seen of him he can do it all, run, setup tries, awesome goalkicker and is great when he gets into dummy half in broken play. There has been heaps of lanky FB's come through league so its really not anything huge. The way I see it we need to add something this year and whether it be Pat or Moses or both I say lets go for it. I love seeing rookies come from know where, I still remember Lockyers first game and knew instantly he was something special.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
There has been plenty said about Templeman making his career in FG in the halves. Personally, I don't think so.

If the club looked upon him as a half or five eighth of the future he would have had a few outings there already. We are badly in need of a good fullback right now so if in Des Hasler's eyes Templeman can do the job that is where he will play.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think Templeman has a future in the halves but I think that he should start at fullback. He has all the necessary fullback skills, the only thing I'm worried about is his size, but it never held Patten back.

The Faz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I say give the kid a go. Any defensive liabilities will be ironed out by the confidence he gets from playing with first graders. People say he's not ready; wait until 2015 etc., but to that I say - WHY? We have a spot to fill and I think PT is as good a candidate anyone else (maybe even better). And furthermore, as is the case with rookies (diamonds in the rough) sometimes, when one comes good the feeling and positive energy it brings to a team is enormous. Our backline should be -Templeman, Perret/Stanley, Morris, Lafai, Inu.

rogueflare

popeye
Reaction score
I say give the kid a go. Any defensive liabilities will be ironed out by the confidence he gets from playing with first graders. People say he's not ready; wait until 2015 etc., but to that I say - WHY? We have a spot to fill and I think PT is as good a candidate anyone else (maybe even better). And furthermore, as is the case with rookies (diamonds in the rough) sometimes, when one comes good the feeling and positive energy it brings to a team is enormous. Our backline should be -Templeman, Perret/Stanley, Morris, Lafai, Inu.
Why? Because bringing him in when he is under-done can destroy his confidence. If he has a few horrid games straight after each other, there is no telling how much damage that can do to his psyche. Des knows when to bring players in, and I trust that because I have seen that in DCE, Foran, and the other Juniors he has unearthed at Manly.

MOVE.80

M-Power
Reaction score
If Cleal says he's fit to play in the halves then he could very well be the ball-playing fullback we need.

The Faz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Why? Because bringing him in when he is under-done can destroy his confidence. If he has a few horrid games straight after each other, there is no telling how much damage that can do to his psyche. Des knows when to bring players in, and I trust that because I have seen that in DCE, Foran, and the other Juniors he has unearthed at Manly.
Do you remember a young fella by the name of Sezer. We kept him in cotton wool and he bolted to the Titans. Throwing him straight into FG didn't seem to "destroy his confidence" and do untold damage to his psyche. This is rugby league we're talking about, not brain surgery. Give PT a go and if it looks like he can't handle it then Des has the nous to pull the kid out for while and re-inject him back in later on.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
A few younger players look to be lining up positions already:
Mbye = Hooker
Templeman = Halves

Though remember that fullbacks play very mcuh like a third halves player these days.

Still I don't see Patty in the fullback role. Say what you want but he'll get hammered, and in Toyota Cup we've seen a few times before where he gets butterfingers under pressure.

Do you remember a young fella by the name of Sezer. We kept him in cotton wool and he bolted to the Titans. Throwing him straight into FG didn't seem to "destroy his confidence" and do untold damage to his psyche. This is rugby league we're talking about, not brain surgery. Give PT a go and if it looks like he can't handle it then Des has the nous to pull the kid out for while and re-inject him back in later on.
Sezer has hardly set the world on fire at the Titans.

Status
Not open for further replies.