Saying good bye to a true Aussie Legend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Good bye Holden for when the time comes, you started to pick up your game big time in the past few years and I was looking forward to the future but it is not to be...

Very sad news to hear today

**** you GM and your American decision to hurt us.

BulldogsFAN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
they were relying on government handouts, if they can't make a profit by themselves, they should shut down! like any other business

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good bye Holden for when the time comes, you started to pick up your game big time in the past few years and I was looking forward to the future but it is not to be...

Very sad news to hear today

**** you GM and your American decision to hurt us.
A bad mistake by the current government tbh... It's an Australian Icon and something like 3000 jobs will go... This will be followed by Toyota in the near future.

they were relying on government handouts, if they can't make a profit by themselves, they should shut down! like any other business
LOL ok...

But did you know that the Car industry gets government subsidies everywhere in the world? So it is extremely normal for the car manufacturing company to receive government "handout".

And have you considered the affect this will have on the economy as a whole? Did you know that the "handouts" work on 1:9 ratio in the car industry? So in lame terms for every $1.00 the government "handout" they receive $9 back in various taxes

Honestly people think for yourself, instead of just repeating what you hear in biased media.

BulldogsFAN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yes i do, but holden was heavily relying on the government (2.17b over 12 years for holden compared to 1.12b for toyota, yet toyota makes 101,500 cars locally compared to holden's 85 000)

how much more support would we need to give them per year? everyday businesses go broke, but just because its "holden", we should keep it alive?

if it was as easy and there was truth to what you stated, why would they stop supporting them?

lol why aren't you running the country?

Let's stick to facts here:

- If a company can't make money they go out of business
- No car can be manufactured for the domestic market only...especially for a domestic market as small as Australia
- It's not the government's job to keep an unprofitable business going

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They shot them-self in the dick with the new Commodore and producing cars that look exactly like every other main brand sedan/ small car out there. Incredibly sad as a 100% Holden owner, but their power was in their identity and they sold that out.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
2017 is a way away. I wonder if between now and then they'll build a a final "up yours" commodore. Basically the best car they can conceive.
Sad day either way.

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So will Holden itself go under or they just won't be made here? Will they still make a commodore? All I've ever owned are holders. Various commodores and now ve Calais. I love them and don't want to drive anything else

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes i do, but holden was heavily relying on the government (2.17b over 12 years for holden compared to 1.12b for toyota, yet toyota makes 101,500 cars locally compared to holden's 85 000)

how much more support would we need to give them per year? everyday businesses go broke, but just because its "holden", we should keep it alive?

if it was as easy and there was truth to what you stated, why would they stop supporting them?

lol why aren't you running the country?

Let's stick to facts here:

- If a company can't make money they go out of business
- No car can be manufactured for the domestic market only...especially for a domestic market as small as Australia
- It's not the government's job to keep an unprofitable business going
Seriously, go do your research and then come and talk to me...
This discussion is obviously is way above your head..

Lol if there's truth to what I'm saying... Phlease don't make me laugh...

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Holden car enthusiasts are probably the biggest tax payers in the country, how much do we spend in GST in after market parts and consumables?
We finance a big slice of the market but we relize holden cannot expect to be a tax payer charity.
Surely there must be a compromise.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously, go do your research and then come and talk to me...
This discussion is obviously is way above your head..

Lol if there's truth to what I'm saying... Phlease don't make me laugh...
Mate its the corner stone of the free-market economy. You let the successful ones live, and let the unsuccessful ones die out. By providing money to the car industry, you are paying for their inefficiencies and taking food away from other countries who can do it for cheaper and do it better. If you want to give handouts to unsuccessful businesses, aka farmers and the lot, go ahead but you aren't helping anyone but the lobbyists and the people receiving handouts. Qantas is an 'Australian Icon' and airlines are the LEAST profitable business ever.. and yet they are sitting there making losses and copping it on the chin. Albeit they are asking for a government handout..

all im saying is, if you want to foster a strong economy, you will not be doing this. productivity is something Australia ****ing stinks in, and its a complete joke too be honest.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So will Holden itself go under or they just won't be made here? Will they still make a commodore? All I've ever owned are holders. Various commodores and now ve Calais. I love them and don't want to drive anything else

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Holden will continue to sell cars in Australia. Just not make them here. There's also talk of a possible commodore rebirth, only made in China with no V8 variant.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Holden will continue to sell cars in Australia. Just not make them here. There's also talk of a possible commodore rebirth, only made in China with no V8 variant.
Yeah probably, a 1.8 litre but with a V8 sticker on the back.

From my understanding, they're stop making the Holden's here in Australia and moving it off-shore just like Mitsubishi, but the Brand Holden is still alive right?

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
all im saying is, if you want to foster a strong economy, you will not be doing this. productivity is something Australia ****ing stinks in, and its a complete joke too be honest.
Completely agree with this line... The manufacturing industry as a whole in Australia suffers in a big way, that due to so many factors but the most prominent is that we simply are not competitive globally... However, The government should be held accountable for this... you need your manufacturing industry to maintain a healthy diverse economy...

e.g. the government spends $12,000 a minute on a catholic/christian channel on free to air TV which is funded by the Australian tax payers.....I'm sure that money can be spend elsewhere to increase the manufacturing factor in Australia...

BTW I love how the government fleet cars are now tax payer funded BMW's. What happened to the good old Calais & Caprice?

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah probably, a 1.8 litre but with a V8 sticker on the back.

From my understanding, they're stop making the Holden's here in Australia and moving it off-shore just like Mitsubishi, but the Brand Holden is still alive right?
Exactly.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
its big business, in america gm has the arse out of its pants with the economy barely moving over there, its purely a business based decision to close up shop, maybe lose 5000 jobs here in australia, and save 30000 in the states.
no matter how much the australian government put in it was never going to be enough to save the company. ive got a relative who works in a parts factory in victoria, she said this has been coming for a long time, however the parts maker also make truck components train components and things for other car makers..

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
and lets not forget the huge payouts the employees would be getting..

Status
Not open for further replies.