Hasler and Greenberg saved my life, says departing Canterbury Bulldog Ben Barba

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
BEN Barba says he will leave the Bulldogs with a heavy heart and credits coach Des Hasler and former CEO Todd Greenberg for "saving my life".
Barba was officially granted a release by Canterbury on Wednesday to join the Brisbane Broncos on a three-year deal from 2014.
The Mackay product had another two years to run on his Bulldogs' deal but has been granted a compassionate release to follow ex-partner Ainslie Currie, who is moving to Brisbane with the pair's two young daughters.
BEN BARBA IS A SPECIAL GUEST ON NRL 360 WITH PAUL KENT TONIGHT. 7.30pm on FOX SPORTS 1
Barba sat out the first three rounds of the 2013 NRL season, spending time in rehab for alcohol, gambling and depression-related problems stemming from his break-up with Currie.

The reigning Dally M medallist credits Greenberg and Hasler for getting him through the tough times.
"These guys (Greenberg and Hasler) not only saved my footy career, but my life," Barba said.
"When I was struggling there at the start of the year these two guys stuck beside and kept me at the club and got my feet back on the ground. I can't be thankful enough for what they've done."
The deal: Barba signs with Broncos
Barba said his overwhelming emotion after finally sealing his future was relief.
"It's good to finally have a decision made. A lot of stuff's off my back," Barba said.
"It's stressful when you doing and you don't know what's going on. For a decision to be made, it's so much relief."
Barba said the move to Brisbane was essential so he could be close to his young daughters.
"They (my daughters) are the reason I do this is, to be able to support them and give them everything they want," he said.
"I said it from the start, it would have been very difficult me to stay down in Sydney and play my football knowing they are up there.
"I'm very thankful to the club and everyone involved for understanding that and allowing me to be closer to them."
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...m=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed#.Uh2P7NLinTp

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saved his life, yet first chance he gets he legs it. If your that thankful see out the contract!

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
who ever understood the 'saving my life part' well done:grinning:

"They (my daughters) are the reason I do this is, to be able to support them and give them everything they want"
^
Financially that is, all parents want whats best for their children...don't know why he can't say it.

dogs_of_war89

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Goodluck to the kid. Trying to clean up his image before he leaves. If his head is screwed on throw him in the team and lets have a good crack at these finals

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Delete this f**ked up threat and tell him to f**k off that little prick we don't want to hear this shit .

Slick

Young Gun
Reaction score
Everyone's gonna hate me, but lay off the guy. Sure, he abandoned us, but we should be able to build a bridge. We've been through worse.

billybob

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah there has been worse, i think everyone has just had enough of this happening time & time again.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I must be too soft by nature, cause I actually felt sorry for him when reading that artical.
Then the Bulldog side of my brain kicked in to gear and a felt cranky at him for leaving our club.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I must be too soft by nature, cause I actually felt sorry for him when reading that artical.
Then the Bulldog side of my brain kicked in to gear and a felt cranky at him for leaving our club.
x2!!

billybob

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
what is there to feel sorry for? Everything that has happened is through his own actions.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
the devil has many tricks, feeling sorry for him is one of them

billybob

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Typical victim mentality, poor me my kids and ex are moving because i stuck my dick in another women while blowing my money on gambling and having an epic bender...lol poor ol' me :sleep:

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be incredibly hard not to see your children after a breakup, you'd miss so much of their important years.

But how often would've he seen them here once their separation is complete and everyone has moved on? Weekend visits? If he wasn't busy with his nights out? Cheap one hour flights to Brisbane would've been a solution for shared custody. Just all seems a bit too weak, but alas, if someone doesn't want to be here there's no point forcing a horse to stop being a dick.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ben will love that club Brisbane have. And, um, the....... the pub with that steak all QLD'ers go on about.

billybob

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben will love that club Brisbane have. And, um, the....... the pub with that steak all QLD'ers go on about.
Don't forget that beautiful river with it's pristine waters.

Status
Not open for further replies.