Canterbury fielding biggest forward pack in rugby league history

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Cooper

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
THE Canterbury Bulldogs are fielding the biggest pack of forwards in rugby league history as they steamroll towards next month's finals.
The average weight of the pack is almost 110kg, an amazing 20kg per man heavier than the St George packs of the 1950s and '60s that won 11 straight premierships.
In typical Des Hasler style, the Bulldogs coach is desperately trying to underplay the monster weight advantage, banning The Sunday Telegraphfrom taking a group photo of his mean machine.
The Dogs' tactics have become obvious in recent weeks, using Sam Kasiano, Tony Williams, Frank Pritchard and Greg Eastwood to crush smaller opponents.
The evolution of rugby league forwards has seen front-rowers grow from the likes of Dragons front-rower Kevin Ryan, who was the toughest man of his era, playing at just 90kg.
That's an unbelievable 48kg lighter than Slammin' Sam Kasiano.
League's greatest forward Johnny Raper, who played at 87kg, says in his day it was never about body weight.
"It was the size of your heart that counted," Raper said. "We used to say the bigger they are the harder they fall. It's a great frustration of mine they don't tackle low anymore. It's still the best way to stop a big man in his tracks."
Obviously today's more professional training methods and the influx of Polynesian players has contributed to the size difference.
"We worked full-time and then trained for three hours maximum each week," Raper said. "These guys now are full-time pros."

Even a decade later, when the Roosters thumped St George 38-0 in the 1975 grand final, the Eastern Suburbs pack wasn't much bigger. Arthur Beetson was considered a giant at 105kg, but the average weight of the pack was still only 93kg.
The big boppers have come into play more in the modern era as coaches take advantage of the interchange bench to rest giants as soon they run out of puff.
Like the Bulldogs, Souths are relying on a monster pack to lead the charge to their first premiership since 1971. The Burgess brothers - Sam, George and Tom - provide size and strength few opponents can match. George recently created NRL history by making more tackle busts in a game than any other player, using size, force and brute strength to thump the Titans.
Gorden Tallis was one of the most feared forwards in the game's history. He played at 105kg but says size can work both ways.
"Size obviously helps when you've got the football and you get a roll on. Big men are hard to stop close to the line off flat passes. At the same time they aren't as mobile."
Former Raiders, Broncos and Storm front-rower Glenn Lazarus (110kg) was a Tallis favourite.
"What's important is the quality of minutes with big blokes," Tallis said. "That's what I liked about Lazzo.
"He played 80 minutes every week and rarely ran out of juice."

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I would actually like to see a photo of our forward pack. LOL at the forwards of old era's making up reasons against this story. Un-mobile, lack of minutes etc, these guys all play the minutes are mobile and have passing games that would make old Artie (RIP) be proud! As for heart, can't speak for all of them but Graham has a bigger heart than Phar Lap.

billybob

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha go big sam :-) Keeping our average weight way up there. Seriously we do have a farking huge forward pack!

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
A positive story about our forward pack in the papers might be nice. I wonder why Des bans the photo op?

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
A positive story about our forward pack in the papers might be nice. I wonder why Des bans the photo op?
Maybe he doesn't want them to get caught up in the hype of the story and stay grounded? They all still have a way to go for GF readiness!

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How's raper, the fucking pensioner ?? Lamenting that players don't tackle around the legs anymore ? "It WAS the best way to tackle big men" back then, because they were all skill-less battering rams ! Tackle kas, jammer, tank, beast, t-Rex, finnucane or Jackson around the legs and, apart from the resulting concussion you'll receive, they'll offload and tear holes in your defence !
In the words of Jeremy clarkson "bigger is ALWAYS better"

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How's raper, the fucking pensioner ?? Lamenting that players don't tackle around the legs anymore ? "It WAS the best way to tackle big men" back then, because they were all skill-less battering rams ! Tackle kas, jammer, tank, beast, t-Rex, finnucane or Jackson around the legs and, apart from the resulting concussion you'll receive, they'll offload and tear holes in your defence !
In the words of Jeremy clarkson "bigger is ALWAYS better"
I am not a St George supporter but I must say why would you be so disrespectful to one of the legends of Rugby League??? after all he did say that the game has changed dramatically since he was playing!! who the phuk is Jeremy Clarkson and what has he got to do with Rugby League and the Kennel.???

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
it doesn't matter how big the players are, the old saying they cant run without legs comes to mind,
using Justin hodges as an wxample he always makes good meters because they grab and wrestle with his upper body, take his legs he cant run..

same for big sam and t rex or any other big players in the game, take the legs out from under them takes their size out of the equasion

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
it doesn't matter how big the players are, the old saying they cant run without legs comes to mind,
using Justin hodges as an wxample he always makes good meters because they grab and wrestle with his upper body, take his legs he cant run..

same for big sam and t rex or any other big players in the game, take the legs out from under them takes their size out of the equasion
Some bulk is good, a few years ago we lacked a big pack, once these guys get a run up it's hard to grab their legs.

'G'

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I expect the NRL to change the interchange rule next season to disadvantage us just like how they changed the obstruuction rule this season

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They put such a negative spin on that article that it's amazing. I guess they are pissed off that they weren't allowed in to take pics of our forward pack.

The average winger these days is probably bigger than the forwards of the past. Training methods and supplements probably both have a big contribution to how much we can get out of the big units these days. You will probably find that in every sport the same kind of trends can be found. As the payments for professional sports got better i guess that big lazy bastards decided it was worth their effort to go on with training hard if it meant they could earn big dollars

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I am not a St George supporter but I must say why would you be so disrespectful to one of the legends of Rugby League??? after all he did say that the game has changed dramatically since he was playing!! who the phuk is Jeremy Clarkson and what has he got to do with Rugby League and the Kennel.???
Why would I care who raper is, or what he's done in the past ? He never played for the dogs, so I don't give a shit. He was openly criticising our team, because we don't play the way his team did 50years ago.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Our pack has come a long way. Was the biggest/strongest pack during our dominance (2002-2004) then we lost key players and had an average pack for a while (Fred Briggs comes to mind).

Testament to all involved for getting a pack like this again. A lot of work and development has gone in as well as a few very astute signings (Pritchard, Eastwood, tolman, Graham have to be some of the best signings in our modern history).

Wasn't long ago we had no forwards or halves and were getting flogged. So it's good to see us rebuild to a level were our pack is feared and if we don't make semis/gf's it will be a disappointing season.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I expect the NRL to change the interchange rule next season to disadvantage us just like how they changed the obstruuction rule this season
And shoulder charge!

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why would I care who raper is, or what he's done in the past ? He never played for the dogs, so I don't give a shit. He was openly criticising our team, because we don't play the way his team did 50years ago.
Bad Billy, you are a Knob!! go and give yourself an uppercut and go to your room. What John Raper did for the game of Rugby League in this country, spoilt brats like you can only dream of.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bad Billy, you are a Knob!! go and give yourself an uppercut and go to your room. What John Raper did for the game of Rugby League in this country, spoilt brats like you can only dream of.
What did he do for the game ? He played it, admittedly well. But many players came before him and many came after who played it equally as well.
Reputation means shit to me, if you attack the dogs, you're dead to me.
I find, usually when people can't put together a coherent argument, they resort to name-calling.

HITM3N

THE KENNEL
Gilded
Reaction score
When the bulldogs had the biggest forward pack in the NRL back in the 2000's to 2004. The bulldogs were very dominant because of the forward pack the bulldogs had, that's what won us the grand final in 2004. Let History Repeat Itself. Go the Bulldogs!!

Status
Not open for further replies.