Todd Carney re-signs with Cronulla Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Penriff are a joke...

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-cronulla-sharks/story-e6frexrr-1226638691424

[h=1]Todd Carney re-signs with Cronulla Sharks[/h]

Todd Carney has re-signed with the Cronulla Sharks. Source: Getty Images

EXCLUSIVE: Todd Carney will remain at Cronulla after knocking back a rich five-year deal from Penrith today.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the Panthers were informed about Carney’s decision around lunchtime.
It’s believed Penrith had offered Carney a five-year deal worth about $4.5 million.
The Sharks had been struggling to match the money, with their last offer understood to be around the $750,000-a-season mark, also over five years.
Carney’s decision is a huge boost for the Sharks, who have not re-signed a single player since the ASADA scandal erupted in February.
The Warriors were also after Carney and had made the biggest offer, worth over $1 million a season.
But Carney was loath to leave his new home in the Sutherland Shire.

"I'm happy to have made the decision to be staying at the Sharks and to be settled for the next five years," Carney said. "We have a strong playing group here and I’m excited to have the chance of working with them.” Coach Shane Flanagan said: "I was always confident Todd would stay but he was offered big money contracts
at other clubs so we had to let the negotiation process run its course.
"His decision is a great show of loyalty towards the club and is also an expression of faith in the long term future of the Sharks."

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thurston and Carney stay loyal to their clubs and all of a sudden Penrith are a joke? If they had signed, people will say they've chased the money. I'm pretty Penrith aren't the only club that missed out on these players, I recall Canterbury were after Thurston too, as were the Dragons and Warriors with Carney with the latter putting up an even higher bid...but yeah I guess Penrith are a joke.

I was surprised we were even going after him.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Penrith aren't a joke, that fat fuck Gould is a joke.

Worst thing to happen to Penrith.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I seem to recall Philip Gould being seen as the messiah...

But seriously.... since that numnut got on board, the club has gone backwards to the point they are now the NRL's worst performing club when you look at on and off field.

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seem to recall Philip Gould being seen as the messiah...

But seriously.... since that numnut got on board, the club has gone backwards to the point they are now the NRL's worst performing club when you look at on and off field.
First of all, who has hailed Gould as the Messiah? Your answer would be the media. What Gould has done in a short amount of time is clean up our P&L and cap. Our recruitment policy was left in a mess by the previous administration/coaching staff. Bear in mind, several years of mismanagement had put us in that situation.

We heavily recruited in the off season (out of necessity - not just to get our cap in shape, but also as a short term solution while our junior base is being repaired). We have recruited guys like Manu, Segeyaro, Whare, Brown and the like who in my opinion have been some of the better signings in recent years. We will also have the addition of Soward, yes he is much maligned, but in conext, he will provide Penrith the kicking, passing and running game from a half that we desperately need. When guys like Thurston and Carney are on the market, you throw everything you have at them and hope they sign.

Windsor are currently 3rd in the NSW Cup and Penrith are 1st in the NYC with 7 wins and 1 loss. Hopefully we can build on this and create greater depth in the club so in years to come, will replenish the existing stock we have in first grade with our local juniors and reserve grade, hence the 5 year plan.

I've said this numerous times, Gould has brought on board great sponsors who are keen in investing in the Panthers club. To add to this, there are increased engagements with the community - schools, shopping centers, junior clubs to tie into the culture Gould is keen to create, which is based on a community team.

We have 7 new players in our starting team so am I suprised about the poor start to year? No, not really, however I would hope we start to pick this up over the coming weeks though.

In response to your comment about the worst performing team in the NRL, I would suspect Tigers and Parramatta are having a worse time than us. Technically, we are only 2 points away from the Bulldogs, Sharks and Dragons plus only 4 points from the top 8 (that's the optimist in me).

Finally, I would love to get examples on how you feel Penrith have gone backwards and are the worst performing club off the field.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Gould replaced Walsh with Soward, and is looking not to re-sign Kevin Kingston instead looking to use James Segeyaro.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
I wouldn't say they are worst performing team on and off the field... that belongs to Parramatta.

Its going to take them another season or 2 for Penrith to fully rebuild their team.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
First of all, who has hailed Gould as the Messiah? Your answer would be the media. What Gould has done in a short amount of time is clean up our P&L and cap. Our recruitment policy was left in a mess by the previous administration/coaching staff. Bear in mind, several years of mismanagement had put us in that situation.

We heavily recruited in the off season (out of necessity - not just to get our cap in shape, but also as a short term solution while our junior base is being repaired). We have recruited guys like Manu, Segeyaro, Whare, Brown and the like who in my opinion have been some of the better signings in recent years. We will also have the addition of Soward, yes he is much maligned, but in conext, he will provide Penrith the kicking, passing and running game from a half that we desperately need. When guys like Thurston and Carney are on the market, you throw everything you have at them and hope they sign.

Windsor are currently 3rd in the NSW Cup and Penrith are 1st in the NYC with 7 wins and 1 loss. Hopefully we can build on this and create greater depth in the club so in years to come, will replenish the existing stock we have in first grade with our local juniors and reserve grade, hence the 5 year plan.

I've said this numerous times, Gould has brought on board great sponsors who are keen in investing in the Panthers club. To add to this, there are increased engagements with the community - schools, shopping centers, junior clubs to tie into the culture Gould is keen to create, which is based on a community team.

We have 7 new players in our starting team so am I suprised about the poor start to year? No, not really, however I would hope we start to pick this up over the coming weeks though.

In response to your comment about the worst performing team in the NRL, I would suspect Tigers and Parramatta are having a worse time than us. Technically, we are only 2 points away from the Bulldogs, Sharks and Dragons plus only 4 points from the top 8 (that's the optimist in me).

Finally, I would love to get examples on how you feel Penrith have gone backwards and are the worst performing club off the field.
You guys have let go of Jennings but he was paid overs so fair enough.

You have also let go of Luke Lewis which was strange. He is still doing well & will make origin again. Why did you guys let him go? He seemed to be the heart & soul of your club.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Yeah I would love to know the real reason you let go of Lewis, he is a machine.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Well the Warriors threw the largest offer, does that mean nobody wants to play for them either? I like the Panthers, think they are slowly on the right track.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well the Warriors threw the largest offer, does that mean nobody wants to play for them either? I like the Panthers, think they are slowly on the right track.
Well it seems they are building their junior base but that has always been there, what has changed since Gus arrived?

Their NRL team is shot & that should be there first priority. This building their team as a 5 year plan is crap.

The kids in Penrith district will only follow teams that are winning. Thats how kids are. If the Panthers are struggling then their kids will simply follow other teams with their favourite players. With Luke Lewis leaving I'm sure you will find Shark supporters out there as well. Who knows maybe the kids will follow GAYFL instead which would be a shame.

It appears Gus has quite a lot of problems out there and this 5 year plan is unacceptable.

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it seems they are building their junior base but that has always been there, what has changed since Gus arrived?

Their NRL team is shot & that should be there first priority. This building their team as a 5 year plan is crap.

The kids in Penrith district will only follow teams that are winning. Thats how kids are. If the Panthers are struggling then their kids will simply follow other teams with their favourite players. With Luke Lewis leaving I'm sure you will find Shark supporters out there as well. Who knows maybe the kids will follow GAYFL instead which would be a shame.

It appears Gus has quite a lot of problems out there and this 5 year plan is unacceptable.
...and creating a band-aid solution will help solve this? You need the right foundations in order to have a strong club. Sharks have never won a premiership, yet they have supporters so don't give me this crap about kids only going for winning teams. I grew up in the west and Penrith had won 1 premiership in a decade, yet I (along with many other kids) continue to support them.

What do you think the solution should be?

Bring in a new coach? Done
Recruit some new players? Done 12-14 to be exact
Bring in new coaching staff? Done
Promote some juniors? Done
Bring in new sponsors? Done
Engage the community? Done
Target marquee players? Done
Build an academy? Done
Recruit from country/regional Australia? Done

Keep in mind, this is all in 12 months only.

What else is he missing? Given you feel a 5 year plan is unacceptable, what do you think is missing thats so obvious?

Don't get me wrong...I want to see results too. I particularly don't want to be waiting until 2018 for our club to be successful! We obviously don't have a coach at the calibre of a Hasler, Bellamy or Bennett...but Cleary did turn a Warriors outfit around...after some time...

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue&White

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
...and creating a band-aid solution will help solve this? You need the right foundations in order to have a strong club. Sharks have never won a premiership, yet they have supporters so don't give me this crap about kids only going for winning teams. I grew up in the west and Penrith had won 1 premiership in a decade, yet I (along with many other kids) continue to support them.

Build an academy? Done

What else is he missing? Given you feel a 5 year plan is unacceptable, what do you think is missing thats so obvious?
Thanks for ur comments Gus. Lets not sweep this under the carpet - Penrith have major issues.

I will address each of ur points.

New coach. This is Clearys second year in charge and he doesn't seem to be getting transaction. Yes, there has been significant change in the roster. But u need to question why. A players like Luke Lewis should never have been released. If Cleary was the coach he purports to be I doubt Lewis would have left. Look at the dogs - players want to play for Des. Doesn't seem to be the case with Cleary.

Recruit new players. Again why release an International that is the foundation of ur club to sign a few fringe first graders?

Bring in new coaching staff. In other words, bring over Ivan Clearys team

Promote some juniors. All clubs do this. If the player is good enough and ready for NRL they will get a crack

Bring in new sponsorship. Fancy recruiting the milk man and not having Oak as ur major sponsor?

Engage the ccommunity. This is what all clubs do. Some do it better than others.

Target marquee players. Why would release existing marquee players (Jennings and Lewis) to go after other marquee players? Doesn't make sense to me.

Build an academy. Again, nothing out of the ordinary here.

Recruit from country/regional Australia. All clubs have talent scouts out there looking for future stars. It's not just a Penrith or Gould initiative. Having said this, it contradicts ur earlier point of promoting local juniors.

Gould thinks he knows it all. He doesn't. What's happening at Penrith is a perfect example of that.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Build an academy? Done

Don't get me wrong...I want to see results too. I particularly don't want to be waiting until 2018 for our club to be successful! We obviously don't have a coach at the calibre of a Hasler, Bellamy or Bennett...but Cleary did turn a Warriors outfit around...after some time...
I think Cleary is a good coach and will serve your club well.

I think with Gus stating its a work in progress is fine but he keeps saying its a 5 year plan. It might be for him until he retires but what about the Panthers?

Letting go of Luke Lewis was a balls up by your club. What was the real reason? Was it the attitude of Gus that got up his nose? Was it the club couldn't afford him which is ridiculous?

What Gus needs to do is take some of his own advice. He is happy to jump down the throats of the NRL or the Referees for a lack of immediate action but where is his? He has driven away most of your better players and put your club into a hole that will need 5 years to repair because of his doing. How could the Panthers not afford Jennings but the Roosters can?

I look forward to the Panthers doing well in the NRL but it seems the Wanderers & AFL are beating you. Its a shame as the Penrith district is one of the rugby league heartlands.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thanks for ur comments Gus. Lets not sweep this under the carpet - Penrith have major issues.

I will address each of ur points.

New coach. This is Clearys second year in charge and he doesn't seem to be getting transaction. Yes, there has been significant change in the roster. But u need to question why. A players like Luke Lewis should never have been released. If Cleary was the coach he purports to be I doubt Lewis would have left. Look at the dogs - players want to play for Des. Doesn't seem to be the case with Cleary.

Recruit new players. Again why release an International that is the foundation of ur club to sign a few fringe first graders?

Bring in new coaching staff. In other words, bring over Ivan Clearys team

Promote some juniors. All clubs do this. If the player is good enough and ready for NRL they will get a crack

Bring in new sponsorship. Fancy recruiting the milk man and not having Oak as ur major sponsor?

Engage the ccommunity. This is what all clubs do. Some do it better than others.

Target marquee players. Why would release existing marquee players (Jennings and Lewis) to go after other marquee players? Doesn't make sense to me.

Build an academy. Again, nothing out of the ordinary here.

Recruit from country/regional Australia. All clubs have talent scouts out there looking for future stars. It's not just a Penrith or Gould initiative. Having said this, it contradicts ur earlier point of promoting local juniors.

Gould thinks he knows it all. He doesn't. What's happening at Penrith is a perfect example of that.
Well said! Gus is now in a sticky situation due to him being a bone head. As you have said Gould thinks he knows it all but anyone that thinks like that really is just being narrow minded.

Cleary done quite well with the Warriors while he was there. As testament their team has not recovered since he left. I think he will do well at the Panthers if Gus would just get out of his way.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think Gus is to blame as much as people make out. He has always maintained he has a plan for the future, a system which will take 5 or so years to implement to ensure the long-term success of the club. We were in a similar sort of position in 08 and imo Todd make a bit of a cock up in appointing Moore. The difference is we got a bit lucky with our recruitment and results but ultimately it cost us 3 seasons down the drain. Then Hasler came along and the rest is history. Short term success is not always best and I'm sure many people will be eating their words come a few years time.

MrDogzOfWar

Dogz At War!
Reaction score
A great move for the Sharks to Re-Sign Todd Carney!! Top player.. Hope he goes well at the sharks!

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think Gus is to blame as much as people make out. He has always maintained he has a plan for the future, a system which will take 5 or so years to implement to ensure the long-term success of the club. We were in a similar sort of position in 08 and imo Todd make a bit of a cock up in appointing Moore. The difference is we got a bit lucky with our recruitment and results but ultimately it cost us 3 seasons down the drain. Then Hasler came along and the rest is history. Short term success is not always best and I'm sure many people will be eating their words come a few years time.
This. What exactly has Gus done?

Regardless of if he was there or not, Penrith would still be in the same position, if not worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.