Gina Rinehart: Withdraw your subpoenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ms Rinehart you are a figure of great public interest. You have significant shareholdings in major media, both with Fairfax and at Network Ten.

It is critical to the credibility of independent journalism that you support the industry in which you invest, by honouring the MEAA Code of Ethics that applies to journalists to not reveal their sources or what their sources tell them that is not published.

This directly applies to Adele Ferguson with your recent subpoaena and also to Steve Pennells who you have been pursuing for over a year.

You are someone who seeks influence and/or profit from news media in Australia. It is a sad and shameful attack on journalistic ethics and journalism that you would target senior journalists, particularly when you are a significant shareholder in two news organisations.

It will be up to the Courts to determine if your subpoena on Adele Ferguson will be successful, once her lawyers deal with your request. Steve Pennells's lawyers have kept you at bay to date, but how long will you keep fighting?

In the mean time, you can show integrity. You can acknowledge your role as a key media figure.

Before Ms Ferguson incurs legal costs and stress and before Steve Pennells goes through more pain you can withdraw your requests of the courts, where you are seeking discovery of journos' files.

It is especially concerning that you of all people are opening this door and dispatching the tenet of source protection. Well beyond your family dispute, journalism and news gathering will be weaker because of this legal intervention.

Strong journalism, the fourth estate, is an important pillar of democracy and should not be jeopardised over a nasty, protracted family spat because the players happen to be well resourced.

As a seemingly want-to-be media baron, your actions appear short sighted, devaluaing journalism and journalists. You actions very well may kick your shareprice and the industry shareprice in the future if weak journalism is the norm..

Please instruct your solicitors to ask the court to withdraw any subpoenas issued against any journalist at your request or the request of an entity you control.

**Update 13 March 2013 I was sent press clippings and legal information about Steve Pennells who has been in the same situation as Adele Ferguson, but for over 12 months, fighting the same issue so for petitions signed after 361, also now include Steve's issue.

Follow Adele Ferguson on Twitter (Cracker Journo) Hashtag: #standupforadele

Also Follow Steve Pennells on Twitter (Also a Cracker Journo) on Twitter

***Update 13 March 2013*** Malcolm Turnbull stands up for Adele saying Gina Rinehart would be "well advised" to "reconsider"

Talk to me on Twitter @mileshef -- and join the MEAA's 30 Days of Press Freedom on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/30-Days-of-Press-Freedom/305986382863414

http://www.change.org/en-AU/petitio...campaign=21952&alert_id=AiuyQMyWEV_xyscQjGLuz

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Gina Rinehart is a vile person.

A multi billionaire who tries to validate human exploitation while insulting a lot of good working people under her employment, amongst a list of questionable ethics of her past. Being a multi billionaire just isn't enough, she needs to keep exploiting people.

Now, for fear of being shown for what she is, she is trying to bully people in an act that will greatly diminish criticism of corrupt and questionable corporate actions. This will further allow corporations and governments to get away with their corruption at our expense.

The corporations already own the planet, but let's not allow this to happen.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
[video=youtube;BZ5Q_N9G9fY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ5Q_N9G9fY[/video]

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't know Adele personally, but I don't consider her to be a journalist of any integrity TBH. She has made it her mission to bash the industry that I work in with little basis.

Having said that, blind freddy could see that a meglomaniac mining magnate owning substantial media interests is a recipe for disaster.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
[video=youtube;BZ5Q_N9G9fY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ5Q_N9G9fY[/video]
This BS both angers me and makes me laugh. If she wants to try and shed labour costs but feels she can't do it in Australia, I will gladly pack her shit and she can leave for Africa for good. At least there she can justify human exploitation. Well, not really....

And the video comments are gold :p

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Can I just say .. Jabba the Hut really scrubbed up nicely after the appearance in Star Wars.

That ... umm .. is Jabba the Hut right?

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Arrrh the headaches of a Trust. Just one of the reasons why people establish one.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm a Chartered Accountant, and i still struggle with them :grinning:

I feel sorry for you because I feel your plain, I'm not in accounting but I'm in the financial service industry. Dealing with Trusts or EVEN Unit Trust are the worst when you want to identify each Unit, from an AML (anti-money laundry) perspective OMG I want to rip out my hair at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.