• Lay off the Grog

Votes: 28 34.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Ok this really hurts to ponder BUT is Jamie Soward an option to approach for next year? He is off contract at the end of this year according to this article http://www.nrl.com/soward-desperate-to-stay-at-dragons/tabid/10874/newsid/71606/default.aspx and he is someone I had not previously thought about nor knew he was available. I know what people will say and I agree that he's a d*ckhead for taking a fall in that game a couple of years ago BUT atleast he is not a trouble maker like a Dugan.

I had thought that all the good to decent halfbacks had already been signed up for next year but this is an opportunity. You would have to think he would excel under Des. He has maybe 3-5 years left in the game and by that time we could have one of our rising talents in the lower grades ready to go. This would be a gap filler to our current crisis and TBH with him and the team we have we could just have a real good go at a couple of GF's in that time. This would also prove to be invaluable experience to our up and coming HB's. I think that almost everyone on here would have to agree that KK and TH are not of the calibre of Soward and that we have a huge problem in that position. Aiden Sezer should had never been lost from us but there is nothing we can do about that. Soward has all the skills we are missing right now and I would think he would work real well with Reynolds.

We have the money available and I am not hearing any rumours on here about us chasing anyone of note after we missed Thurston. The article clearly says that he wants to stay no-matter what but hey business is business and we could offer a very tempting deal to anyone at the moment with $$, facilities and a team that was in last years GF. Wouldn't any player want to finish there career with a couple of goes at the GF? St George won't be amungst it that much I would think??

Getting his services could just be the difference between going close each year to possibly winning some. I say again I think this is a massive opportunity. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
I couldn't stomach it. Not in a million years. Cannot stand that little chode.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He might be a good player but its a NO for me for the milkman.

Also I cant handle that chicken dance he does before he attempts a kick at goal.

Stanna man

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I see where your coming from GrogDog, I believe you will have some serious offensive objections to this from other kennellers on here though.. I can't stand to see him in a blue and white head gear personally , but his worth I reckon would be much less now than a couple of years ago,,

its like telling a Liverpool fan to support a Everton player coming over, no matter how cheap, once you put the Red V jersey no dogs fan wants you ever.,,,,

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Premiership winning half, great long kicking game, dangerous running game, lightning quick off the mark and can really hurt the defencive line. Directs his forwards well, distributes the ball well to the backline and is actually much better in defence than he used to be a few seasons ago. He shows maturity and makes the right decision more often than not. Very good goal kicker as well, so if you ask me the answer is obvious.

That **** will never deserve to pull on the blue and white.

Klem Bupa-Berg

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I couldn't stomach it. Not in a million years. Cannot stand that little chode.
I am feeling sick already
tldr
btw no. soward is never an option.
Feeling better that hes not an option
He might be a good player but its a NO for me for the milkman.
Also I cant handle that chicken dance he does before he attempts a kick at goal.
How will I sleep with that horrible chicken dance.

I would rather this actually be a nightmare!!

Dont give him blue n white jersey....NOOOOO

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Premiership winning half, great long kicking game, dangerous running game, lightning quick off the mark and can really hurt the defencive line. Directs his forwards well, distributes the ball well to the backline and is actually much better in defence than he used to be a few seasons ago. He shows maturity and makes the right decision more often than not. Very good goal kicker as well, so if you ask me the answer is obvious.

Lol! This thread will be 20 pages long tomorrow night.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I see where your coming from GrogDog, I believe you will have some serious offensive objections to this from other kennellers on here though.. I can't stand to see him in a blue and white head gear personally , but his worth I reckon would be much less now than a couple of years ago,,

its like telling a Liverpool fan to support a Everton player coming over, no matter how cheap, once you put the Red V jersey no dogs fan wants you ever.,,,,
Yeah I get it and the haters on here don't scare me but just raising a valid discussion IMO.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score

Nice build up to the final answer! LOL

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I haven't watched any of their games this year, but I keep reading how their halves are woeful, no options. We already have this issue lol.

That said, he played a good brand of footy a couple of years ago and 'could' certainly provide good ball to our outside men who currently don't have that luxury.

Regardless, hell no would I want this little maggot doing his marching boy goalkick prep in our colours.

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grogdog, the mrs is a dragons fan (although I am slowly converting her :grinning: ) and along with seeing him play paalenty over the years I must admit I have recently thought of how I'd feel if we signed him, and I do have one legitimate objection amongst a sea of bias and prejudice...

His temperament is that of an immature child, the proverbial chuck your toys out of the cot type. He's a fantastic, gifted, calculating and methodical half when the ball is rolling for him. But as is often the case in our wonderful game, when the going gets tough, the coward starts sobbing. He has two favourite go to moods when in a tough game, his all time favourite is to whinge, bitch and moan his way to a loss, and the second is to go missing altogether, to the same effect.

He is the exact opposite of a Josh Reynolds, one of the most de-motivational players I've ever see on a footy field, and one we can certainly do without, especially with so many young pups coming through and showing some of the grit and growl of days gone bye.

Jamie Soward, no thank you. My 2c

Last edited by a moderator:

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Grogdog, the mrs is a dragons fan (although I am slowly converting her :grinning: ) and along with seeing him play paalenty over the years I must admit I have recently thought of how I'd feel if we signed him, and I do have one legitimate objection amongst a sea of bias and prejudice...

His temperament is that of an immature child, the proverbial chuck your toys out of the cot type. He's a fantastic, gifted, calculating and methodical half when the ball is rolling for him. But as is often the case in our wonderful game, when the going gets tough, the coward starts sobbing. He has two favourite go too moods when in a tough game, his all time favourite is to whinge, bitch and moan his way to a loss, and the second is to go missing altogether, to the same effect.

He is the exact opposite of a Josh Reynolds, one of the most de-motivational players I've ever see on a footy field, and one we can certainly do without, especially with so many young pups coming through and showing some of the grit and growl of days gone bye.

Jamie Soward, no thank you. My 2c
Yeah good valid points mate and one's I have noticed aswell! The other thing is that with this current team we have, if we had a good halfback I don't think we will have that many bad days (certainly not as many as now with our current options) and his little kid mood would be happy. LOL. I'm not advocating for him either way as he annoys the crap out of me aswell....especially his goal kicking technique. I'm just not hearing any noise about a halfback search for us and its the only thing we really need. BUT maybe I could learn to atleast look at him if he helped deliver one or two premierships. Plus another point is......who would of ever thought that we would welcome an ex-manly player in Des Hasler to coach the mighty bulldogs?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Jaimie Soward would offer worse than what we currently have in Reynolds (A ball running half).

We don't need a Jamie Soward type. It'd be the same situation we have at the moment hurting our club.

We need a halves player with a decent kicking game, who is a THINKER and who can command our troops around the ground. Soward has a decent kicking game, but he's never directed a team around a ground, he relies on his halves partner for that.

We don't need a young halves player either, as again they lack the ability to direct a first grade team.

The sad reality is there is no real easy answer. The decent halves players that have the attributes we need, are all signed up.

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
No, he seems to be a committed Dragon and we would probably be one of his most disliked clubs lol. Having said that, when is Tyrone Roberts from the Knights off contract? very impressive player, hope the club has him in their visions.

Big Nick

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, nope, nada, no way hose', fuck no, no way in hell, not on your life, no fucking way....................I've run out of ways of saying NO!

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He's played for the Dragons AND the Roosters, no thanks.

Bulldog_NJ

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course he is an option, and one we should consider strongly.

His form under Wayne Bennet was outstanding. He's a great general play kicker, a great goal kicker, his defense has improved, he's a good runner of the ball, and can play 7,6,1,9.

Soward in a sense is like Krisnan Inu. If they are feeling the love, and support of the players, and a coach like Hasler or Bennet, they will flourish.

Plus, options like Soward start to appeal to us haters when our team is 1 and 4, and Krippy and Hokko are our only 7 options.

Status
Not open for further replies.