Desperate Eels pay top dollar in scramble to boost talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klem Bupa-Berg

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If Tolman or any other Bulldogs player wants to sign for any other club i will help them pack their bags. Loyalty exists only when a player puts their signature on the contract. This days rugby league has becme a merry go round. One day they love the club and the next they are gone. Thats way breeding is so important. Sign them young to long contracts so we get to see them playing for us. Tolman came yesterday and is gone tomorrow. Also $650,000 is a lot of money not just for Tolman but for anyone. And im in favour as it happens in other codes that if a player signs elsewhere for the following year he should be dropped to NSW cup.
The coach needs to prepare the team for the next season and if a player is not there he should be on the stands. Players come and go but we the supporters must remain.
This style of dropping players when they sign elsewhere hasnt been seen since Chris Anderson days.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
You mean the way the career of (then 24 year old) NSW Origin rep Justin Poore went upon signing for Parramatta?

(In case you're interested, Wakefield Trinity Wildcats are currently 10th of 14 Super League teams).
In the sense that a move to parra would kill his career imo

Big_Dawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would be horrible to see him go however we do have jimmy G Kas and klemmer

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That deal will make him the highest paid prop in the nrl. And he will be on more money then sonny and mason were when they were the top paid at the club. Fair enough cap has gone up.

Good luck to him though. Easily the most important forward we have. He lays re foundation for graham, Pritchard, kasiano to do their thing. Big loss for the club but with Browne, klemmer, funicane, Jackson, burr, carter we couldn't overpay to keep him. His last contract was 300-350 so he doubled it this time round. Good on him. Future captain for sure at any club he goes to.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Well I think Tolman and any Melbourne player for that matter who was stripped of premierships knows that you can't really buy the big trophy so really the decision for him is this; either make 350-400k (i don't know what he makes) a year from the dogs and have a good chance of winning a premiership within the next few years OR take 650k from the eels and never see a premiership.....thats the decision he has how I see it! How much money is a gf ring of value to a player?

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
If Tolman or any other Bulldogs player wants to sign for any other club i will help them pack their bags. Loyalty exists only when a player puts their signature on the contract. This days rugby league has becme a merry go round. One day they love the club and the next they are gone. Thats way breeding is so important. Sign them young to long contracts so we get to see them playing for us. Tolman came yesterday and is gone tomorrow. Also $650,000 is a lot of money not just for Tolman but for anyone. And im in favour as it happens in other codes that if a player signs elsewhere for the following year he should be dropped to NSW cup.
The coach needs to prepare the team for the next season and if a player is not there he should be on the stands. Players come and go but we the supporters must remain.
I do believe the coaches job is o prepare for next WEEK. I don't hint Des has the draw for next year.

Yes yes in the meantime we will be spiteful and weaken our current team to give Player X the message.

Get real

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Disagree.

I was driving around Brisbane on Easter Saturday and on MMM they were discussing this issue at length on their version of the Dead Set Legends, with many different and at time heated opinions....

For me, if Tolman was to sign for next season at another club, there is not reason to drop him, unless of course his attitude changes completely and he starts playing crap. Why can't a player look after his future, if he is not breaking his contract to do so? There is no evidence a player clocks off once he signs for another club. Tolman puts it out there week in week out, and it would be to the detriment of our 2013 campaign if we were to chuck a sooky because he had found a (much) better deal.

Some say that players should have to wait until after the GF to negotiate etc. That to is ridiculous.

LG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
if tolman goes, good luck to him, been reliable during his stint with us and would wish him the best

i know finucane came into grade as a backrower but i think he could be a like for like replacement for tolman, good defensively, good ball runner, looks pretty reliable, not the biggest prop but we all know tolman aint either

going forward, as finucane and klemmer improve, i like the look kasiano & finucane starting, graham with big minutes off the bench and 20 minute stint for klemmer

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It wasn't that long ago that we were linked to every player on the market and a few that weren't. I'm glad that Parra have taken over in that regard. At the moment we have a great squad and any player we lose is going to hurt because of that, but if they follow due process i have no issues with them leaving for top dollar. 2 million over three seasons is ridiculous money for a prop but as we all know he is a player who will only stop working when he's taken off the field so they may be looking at him as the key to motivating their forward pack. He is still improving in my opinion too. He seems to be a lot more aggressive with his runs this season so by the end of the season he may have become more of an intmidator along with his ability to work all day. Hopefully the offer is just the media making a wild stab in the dark. I think it would be hard to leave a club that feels like it will win a premiership but he did leave Melbourne (who were probably under some cap pressure despite being over already) so if the money is out there he may take it.

This is the downside to being among the more competitive teams. Our players will always be in demand elsewhere. The upside is that if Tolman signs elsewhere we will be more appealing for great young prospects who want to improve their games under a top notch coach. I hope we can keep the bulk of this squad together for a few more seasons.

aarooni

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a lot of y'all don't realize is how much frank is looked upon as a leader amongst the Polynesian boys at the club it would be a bad move to let him go IMO
True...Eastwood,perrett,Williams,halatau,inu,kasiano,taupau,low,lanai to name a few.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
there you go. I know he is a kiwi, but doesn't look very Maori...

aarooni

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im a kiwi but many think I'm Leb...too much time in greenacre I guess and my wife's Leb lol.

aarooni

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
there you go. I know he is a kiwi, but doesn't look very Maori...
Yeah you would pick it if from nz.many Maoris are half cast and have Anglo parents so you can get blonde hair blue eyes and still be a cuzzy bro.

MAD DOG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
give para Williams instead... Tolman is one of the best props in the game... a true workhorse and professional

aarooni

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
By years end our pack should sort it's self out.i think the pack will prob be tarpau,Tolman with graham,kasiano,klezmer/brown of bench...so we have too many giant props coming through.

Status
Not open for further replies.