Tom Waterhouse considers suing Fairfax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
AFTER a week of bad publicity and criticism, bookie Tom Waterhouse is reportedly considering legal action against Fairfax Media after a columnist described him as a "grub".

The Daily Telegraph's racing editor Ray Thomas has quoted a Waterhouse family spokesperson declaring the bookmaker is looking at legal action over the Sun Herald column by Sam de Brito, who accused Waterhouse of being “the smiling face of this (sports betting) plague”.

The Waterhouse family spokesman said: “Let's just say the Waterhouses are the most litigation-conscious family there is.”
Waterhouse, 30, has been a focus of attention after a Senate estimates committee into gambling advertising last week grilled both Nine and the NRL over commercial agreements that allowed the bookie to spruik odds as an on-air commentator.

De Brito's blog and column are among the most read on Fairfax Media platforms. He lists among his colleagues at the Sun Herald another Waterhouse, Tom's sister Kate Waterhouse, a society regular who writes fashion and celebrity pieces.

On hearing the news of possible legal action, de Brito was unrepentant and fired back on Twitter: “Tom Waterhouse considering legal action against Fairfax for an article describing him as a grub'... Bring it on, Tom.”

News Limited's Sunday Telegraph yesterday carried a defence of the gambling family scion by his mother and champion trainer Gai Waterhouse.

“He is out there working his butt off,” she said. “If everyone worked as hard as my son Tom we'd have a much better Australia.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/med...to-column-report/story-fnab9kqj-1226610361412

Turns out, you get sued these days for calling it exactly how it is.. *removed*

Last edited by a moderator:

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
wait, he needs more money?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'd love nothing more than to see Waterhouse sue some of these media clowns. Start with Danny Wielder please :grinning:

Oh and post largely defaming comments = get banned.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Personally Im sick of seeing his head on TV, he didn't make friends with channel nine because he was a friendly bloke.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Get the fk off our tvs Tom. Signing autographs for kids? Really? God damnit.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
When I watch NRL I don't want to know about any NRL or horse racing odds. He has stepped over that line numerous times. He should get sued so this crap ends.

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't mind a few odds at half time or before the game. But he shouldn't get minutes and minutes of air time to blab on about every single little odd. It should be the head to head odds then cut to the commentators. At half time it should be an update on the head to head odds or something equally short, then cut to commentators.

It's good that he cant' talk about the footy anymore, but he gets way too much tv time and when he starts talking about horses omfg. I do not understand Channel 9, and it infuriates me that we are stuck with them for years to come now.

Get rid of Tom
Get rid of Slats
Get rid of Cameron Williams

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't mind a few odds at half time or before the game. But he shouldn't get minutes and minutes of air time to blab on about every single little odd. It should be the head to head odds then cut to the commentators. At half time it should be an update on the head to head odds or something equally short, then cut to commentators.

It's good that he cant' talk about the footy anymore, but he gets way too much tv time and when he starts talking about horses omfg. I do not understand Channel 9, and it infuriates me that we are stuck with them for years to come now.

Get rid of Tom
Get rid of Slats
Get rid of Cameron Williams
Get rid of Channel 9 altogether. Fox is much better!

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
If there was a way I could have Fox Sports for a reasonable price, I would agree with you.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lol @ him being referred to as " the smiling face of this plague"

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
If he's suing for defamation he has to prove he's not a grub. Good luck, Tom.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
At lunch yesterday a mate noted he has "a very punchable face" :grinning:

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The guy does have a passion and likes to talk alot about things in his field of expertise, its just that his passion and expertise isn't for something ethically correct.

Stanna man

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If there was a way I could have Fox Sports for a reasonable price, I would agree with you.

You can!! just don't eat for 1 week in the month to cover the hefty monthly fee..

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I understand why the second comment got me banned and removed.. but the comment after the article is true. Do some research before you ban people.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Ah litigation....the perfect way to show people you aren't money hungry.

Status
Not open for further replies.