Trent Hodkinson - 2013 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerbread Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Played really well and deserves to hold his spot and helps that he can kick goals. He doesn't hog the ball like KK and is a great defender. He put that great tackle on Reddy (I think) when he took the quick 20m tap and made him lose the ball.

S

Sharpy

The question on everyone's lips, is .....

WHERE'S SHARPY??

Or should I say chipnchase, Hodkos greatest hater!

========================

Wasn't Hodko let go by Manly to make way for DCE or Foran?
Im here.
take away his goal kicking and he was solid.
Let's not get carried away, he threw a school boy forward pass, he kicked the ball into the head of his own player, he has some work to do.
He still has no tries or try assists, halfbacks set up tries, ie cronk , thurston, Reynolds shows what happens when you run to the line.
my main critism is that he doesn't challenge the defensive line, once he does that then the whole team will be better for it.
but he is improving, lets hope he continues too.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
People are getting carried away with a performance against an injury-hit horrendous Tiger outfit. Just two weeks ago when we were thrashed by the Roosters, everyone was crucifying him and saying that Keating was a better option, hell give the guy a few more games before judging his overall performance. He did well last night and is most definitely a halfback, but he isn't a million times better than Keating, he was far too content at let Reynolds making everything happen and while he was defensively solid and his attacking kicks were much better than Keating's, he has a LONG way to go before he's best is "one of the best in NSW".

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
My biggest gripe with Keating is that he renders Morris useless. Morris is arguably our best strike weapon, yet when keating plays he stands way to close to him. That whole side of the field becomes a dead zone.

Other than that Keating is decent. Strong defender and long range kicker.

I much prefer to have one half in tight and Hodko plays that way.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Sharpy you go on about TH kicking into a player, KK done that 2 or 3 times a game lol

DogsFan4Life

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My biggest gripe with Keating is that he renders Morris useless. Morris is arguably our best strike weapon, yet when keating plays he stands way to close to him. That whole side of the field becomes a dead zone.

Other than that Keating is decent. Strong defender and long range kicker.

I much prefer to have one half in tight and Hodko plays that way.
And that is right , Kk makes j Morris look so awful . Last night th gave him every opportunity to create something outwide and that gives more balance as we have Reynolds giving it to lafai on the right .

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
He finally looks like he's back to his playing weight.
Threw a few bodies around in "D" last night too.

Much superior kicking game.
Haven't seen that many repeat sets for ages.

Good signs ... ;)

Barba's Barber

puppy power
Reaction score
Yeh loved his kick into the back of the fellow dogs head and loved his blatant forward pass when we where on a roll.
He still offers nothing in attack, he can't score a try and he can't set up a try. Until he can do that he isn't a first grade halfback, even kk can score a individual try like his try on the semi against manly.
halfback is our only weak link
Good to finally see someone focus on the negatives....:sleepy:

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Night and day between TH and KK. KK in his defence is played out of position, he's not a 5/8 or a 7. He's a hooker or utility at best. I wonder if the whole reason he has played 7 is because his brother would have taken the 9 spot in teams when they were growing up therefore had to play a different position??

aarooni

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good points
When he kicks on panalties he makes more metres upfield
Kicking goals are awesome...didn't know he was a sharp shooter
Passing a lot sharper
His last tackle kicks are on the money...high pressure kicks
Looking like he's starting to control better
Defence is very good

Overall I'm very pleased and hope he keeps improving as hub is the only real weakness we have IMO.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought he might struggle for a bit but he seems to be pretty competent and fitting in.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hodko is light years ahead of KK ! How good is it to have a half who'll play what he sees ? If they run a play and its not on, he'll try something else. KK would just run the play and throw an intercept !

S

Sharpy

Sharpy you go on about TH kicking into a player, KK done that 2 or 3 times a game lol
Yeh I agree assassin, I'm not pro either player, I'm just pointing out what he did.
they both aren't the answer, the post from mr ideot was stupid , of he gets a hard on that performance than we have problems.
We need more than solid, we need a half who can't take control, who can creat try assists , who can score individual tries, at present we don't have in the club.
hence why we are trying to a half before June 30 and hence why hodkinson won't be here next year.
no need for others for name calling, we are bigger than that, the stats back up 100% what I'm saying, happy to discuss further

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Thing is to this point we have never seen if TH is good? He has been injured for two years and now he's back. We off load him to another team then the down side is he could end up carving us up next year......look at Thurston.
****Disclaimer I am NOT suggesting TH is as good as Thurston!

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Absolutely loving that Trent is the first choice halfback again.

He is soo much more diverse than KK is. Hope he stays uninjured.

Tails

Waterboy
Reaction score
Im here.
take away his goal kicking and he was solid.
Let's not get carried away, he threw a school boy forward pass, he kicked the ball into the head of his own player, he has some work to do.
He still has no tries or try assists, halfbacks set up tries, ie cronk , thurston, Reynolds shows what happens when you run to the line.
my main critism is that he doesn't challenge the defensive line, once he does that then the whole team will be better for it.
but he is improving, lets hope he continues too.
Sharpy that's the nicest thing you've said. I feel you are warming to him and would be great if you could give fair and justified comments that's all we ask. One point tho Trent did get a try assist last night (Ennis try) and he was unlucky with the kick which bounced of our own player. Apart from that his kicking game was great. As for the forward pass all the half backs you mentioned all make silly mistake from time to time and they have years of experience. On another note we talk about Graham and Kasiano often about coming back and been giving time to rwach fitness but NO-ONE has had 14 months out like TH has so he is doing a remarkable job 3 games in!

Weak Gutted Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh I agree assassin, I'm not pro either player, I'm just pointing out what he did.
they both aren't the answer, the post from mr ideot was stupid , of he gets a hard on that performance than we have problems.
We need more than solid, we need a half who can't take control, who can creat try assists , who can score individual tries, at present we don't have in the club.
hence why we are trying to a half before June 30 and hence why hodkinson won't be here next year.
no need for others for name calling, we are bigger than that, the stats back up 100% what I'm saying, happy to discuss further
Maybe Hodko is not the half we all want. But if we don't sign another. And I am not sure who would be available this year then he is surely our best choice.
He deserves more time. He looks more agile and athletic and hopefully with a bit more confidence can fill the hole we have in the halves.
I think Hodko will show massive improvements now playing behind a dominant forward pack, the same way KK played his best footy late last year.

Tails

Waterboy
Reaction score
Thing is to this point we have never seen if TH is good? He has been injured for two years and now he's back. We off load him to another team then the down side is he could end up carving us up next year......look at Thurston.
****Disclaimer I am NOT suggesting TH is as good as Thurston!
Correction! injured for 1 year. Since Newcastle Rnd 4 2012

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
One thing to note.. Graham and Kasiano being back means less pressure on our halves.

As they get better I think we'll see TH's game improve as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.