Do we need to replace Ennis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aarooni

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Romero on the bench would give us a fresh option of the bench .ennis defends well but his attack is limited so the injection of a new face would help.imo

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
I don't want to replace Ennis but I have to admit Reynolds is a better dummy half runner than Ennis
Des obviously feels the same as shown by Reynolds taking the ball from dummy half on the right side of the field. Make no mistake that is a set move Des has come up with and it always follows a play deigned to get the defense on the bak foot. It almost caught Melbourne out and will catch teams out this year if they persist with it.

Taking our captain and no1 competitor off is retarded. Des is smart enough to incorporate people's strengths into the game plan

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
maybe play hodgkins at dummy half

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hasn't Ennis cooled it with the refs now? If so it doesn't seem to help :(

H

HajdukSplit

If we have to replace Ennis than he should be replaced by Craig Polla-Mounter or Jason Hetherington

Kiraz Crazy

Hasler_For_PM
Reaction score
Micks defence is by far one of the best in the league today.

His leadership is also excellent, he fights for every penalty and always questions the refs, we need that. And off the field with the media hes top stuff.

That being said, i would imagine he will retire at the end of his contract, hes best days are over

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Look, I agree with not getting rid of Ennis, but some of you didn't read the OP properly, this thread is asking whether Ennis needs spells during the game.

I'm not sure why so much flaming is being done here.

Klem Bupa-Berg

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Look, I agree with not getting rid of Ennis, but some of you didn't read the OP properly, this thread is asking whether Ennis needs spells during the game.

I'm not sure why so much flaming is being done here.
I dont think there was much flaming, majority of posts were passionate of not even subbing Ennis during the game which i agree. I dont think there is a quality hooker worth subbing on at the Dogs. Des tried the Romelo dual only when Ennis wasnt 100%. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it threw us off our game plan. The Minority who hated the topic just didnt wanna question the Captain. The topic was good as we saw that the majority fans believed in the Captain which is vital. Conclusion I got out of it is most (not all) agree that Ennis needs attacking improvement and defence is his strongest point that holds the team together. Lets see what more believe of resting Ennis during a game or dual hookers.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
As far as giving him a spell during the game I don't think we can afford to, at least at the moment. Pritchard and Graham are both out and Turner has retired and Stagg has left leaving Ennis as the only real leader. I know Eastwood Tolman and Halatau are all senior players but I don't think they could really calm the younger guys down or psych them up as well as those guys.

Besides I honestly believe Hasler has identified that we need more attack from dummy half and we will see Reynolds there a lot more

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Actually I kinda agree with the OP on this one. I'm not going to sugar coat it though.

People are far too quick to blame Keating for problems in the side, but if you watch our dummy half during the games, the problems stem from there as well.

By this I mean the following:
PROBLEM: Ennis passes WAY too flat, meaning that forwards get the ball flat footed and just tap the defensive line rather than bend it.
Solution - Ennis needs to scoot from dummy half more often to put space between him and the forwards, to allow them room to move. Not to mention yell at our forwards to stand deeper need be.

PROBLEM: Lack of variation from dummy half. Everyone gets the shits about Keating's double pump, but Ennis's one man out single pass is almost as annoying.
Solution - Ennis needs to mix it up a bit, and try some cut out balls from dummy half. Spread the ball wide and fast to our outside backs, as thats where we have points.

PROBLEM: Ennis lacks imagination and creativity. He plays a set game, every single week, and it lacks variation. That is a problem in itself as he becomes easy to read.
Solution - Ennis needs to add some variety to his game.

PROBLEM: Poor 5th tackle options.
Solution - Ennis needs to inject himself as another option for 5th tackle to take pressure off Keating/Reynolds.

PROBLEM: Missing in action. Many times Ennis is missing from dummy half, in particular when a kicks goes back in our own half.
Solution - Hookers should always be at dummy half.

Yes his defence and leadership is brilliant, but when the person servicing your side with the ball doesn't step up all the time, your team gets stuck with very little metres each set of 6. This is much the reason we get caught in our own half so often.

Maybe the answer is giving him a breather during the game, but is the game of reducing us by one spot on the bench a good one?

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We got flogged by Canberra last year when he was out. Shows how valuable he is in defense, attack and leadership.

Klem Bupa-Berg

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Actually I kinda agree with the OP on this one. I'm not going to sugar coat it though.

People are far too quick to blame Keating for problems in the side, but if you watch our dummy half during the games, the problems stem from there as well.

PROBLEM: Ennis passes WAY too flat, meaning that forwards get the ball flat footed and just tap the defensive line rather than bend it.
Solution - Ennis needs to scoot from dummy half more often to put space between him and the forwards, to allow them room to move. Not to mention yell at our forwards to stand deeper need be.

PROBLEM: Lack of variation from dummy half. Everyone gets the shits about Keating's double pump, but Ennis's one man out single pass is almost as annoying.
Solution - Ennis needs to mix it up a bit, and try some cut out balls from dummy half. Spread the ball wide and fast to our outside backs, as thats where we have points.

PROBLEM: Ennis lacks imagination and creativity. He plays a set game, every single week, and it lacks variation. That is a problem in itself as he becomes easy to read.

Solution - Ennis needs to inject himself as another option for 5th tackle to take pressure off Keating/Reynolds.

PROBLEM: Missing in action. Many times Ennis is missing from dummy half, in particular when a kicks goes back in our own half.

Yes his defence and leadership is brilliant, but when the person servicing your side with the ball doesn't step up all the time, your team gets stuck with very little metres each set of 6. This is much the reason we get caught in our own half so often.

Maybe the answer is giving him a breather during the game, but is the game of reducing us by one spot on the bench a good one?
Good post, but for me I think Des has changed the way Ennis plays for a reason. Simple stick to the plan and organise plays and defence. We saw more of what you want him to do under Kevin Moore and sometimes was too much in the past that had peoples heads shaking. Maybe a balance is needed? I can agree with most of your points as well, and these are some strengths that Farah uses with the tigers. Overall Farah for me is too inconsistent, and thats why maybe Des has kept it simple with Ennis. What style was the Manly hooker playing when Des was there?

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Des will do what he did last year when he has nighles give him a game or 2 off

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Good post, but for me I think Des has changed the way Ennis plays for a reason. Simple stick to the plan and organise plays and defence. We saw more of what you want him to do under Kevin Moore and sometimes was too much in the past that had peoples heads shaking. Maybe a balance is needed? I can agree with most of your points as well, and these are some strengths that Farah uses with the tigers. Overall Farah for me is too inconsistent, and thats why maybe Des has kept it simple with Ennis. What style was the Manly hooker playing when Des was there?
Actually you've made a good point there. If you look at Matt Ballin he plays a very no frills game as well. Much less flair than the Smith's and Farahs of this world.... but maybe that's what sets Melbourne apart (a more lively hooker).

One thought perhaps, is alternating Ennis and Halatau. Halatau has played hooker before and is excellent defensively as well.

But would he offer much in attack from dummy half ..

S

Sharpy

Exactly my point, the thread never said sack him, it to interchange him.
the points you have raised are IMO 100% correct and the reason why he was replaced as SOO hooker, he offers nothing in attack and just adds the pressure to kk and Reynolds

Klem Bupa-Berg

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Actually you've made a good point there. If you look at Matt Ballin he plays a very no frills game as well. Much less flair than the Smith's and Farahs of this world.... but maybe that's what sets Melbourne apart (a more lively hooker).

One thought perhaps, is alternating Ennis and Halatau. Halatau has played hooker before and is excellent defensively as well.

But would he offer much in attack from dummy half ..
Possibly a good ploy that one. I could see halatau breaking the line quicker from dummy half if he saw a chance. Someone would need to step-up in organisation and defensive structure though. Dont think halatau has that leadership despite being good defensively. Wouldnt halatau be the utility player that Stagg had last year?

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Oh dear.

Anyone who wants Ennis replacing, please do the following:

1) Slap yourself
2) Remind yourself that Romelo's angry midget routine is great entertainment, but not solid defending.
3) Slap yourself.
4) Remember how poor we were early last season when Ennis was underdone, playing on one knee with no preseason behind him, and how we solidified afterwards.
5) Slap yourself.
6) Rewatch the game (vs Souths?) last year when we were cruising, and Ennis went off for ten minutes before the break injured and we crumbled through the middle of the park.
7) Slap yourself.
8) Rewatch the Eels game from last week and look at the amount of work he did solidifying the middle of the park. Defensively, he might be the best hooker in the world. Overall, he's no Cam Smith, but if we'd swapped him for 90% of the hookers in the NRL has week, the Eels would have opened the season with back to back victories.
9) Slap yourself.
10) As yourself why you know more about Rugby League than Wayne Bennett (who picked him up at Brisbane and tried to get him to Newcastle) and Des Hasler (whose first decision entering the club was to hand the captaincy to him).
11) Slap yourself.
this

Status
Not open for further replies.