Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Path to Blues' jersey strewn with obstacles for Reynolds

Date
March 20, 2013

14 reading now

Michael Chammas

Bulldogs five-eighth Josh Reynolds will need to produce two months of brilliance if he is to push Todd Carney out of the NSW No. 6 jersey.

It is understood NSW coach Laurie Daley is reluctant to disrupt the rhythm and momentum the Blues built in the halves last season unless another player makes his performance impossible to ignore.

The Carney-Mitchell Pearce combination took the Blues within a point of ending the Maroons' long-standing dominance last season, and despite pressure being applied by Josh Reynolds and South Sydney halfback Adam Reynolds, the incumbents remain the frontrunners for the job.
Josh Reynolds

Bulldog charge: Josh Reynolds, centre, has enjoyed a strong start to the year.

While the legitimacy of the annual City-Country as an Origin audition is often up for debate, this year's clash in Coffs Harbour on April 21 could be pivotal for the Origin hopes of Josh Reynolds.
Advertisement

Barring injury, he will wear the No. 6 for Brad Fittler's side and move Jarryd Hayne to fullback, but the halfback spot is uncertain. Daley has already met with Country coach Trent Barrett and will have a say in the make-up of his side.

He is expected to meet Fittler to discuss a similar proposition in the next fortnight.

One of the topics of conjecture will be whether to trial the Josh Reynolds-Pearce combination or let Pearce sit out the match to give Adam Reynolds a chance to impress alongside his namesake.

The two Reynolds have enjoyed strong starts to the year but unless there is an injury or a remarkable form streak over the next eight weeks, it will be difficult for either to knock off the incumbents for the opening game of the series at ANZ Stadium on June 5.

Bulldogs legend and former NSW halfback Steve Mortimer has backed Josh Reynolds for an Origin call-up, confident he has the wares to go head-to-head with Cooper Cronk and Johnathan Thurston.

"I am a big fan of Josh Reynolds and from what I've seen from him, there is a definite opportunity for him to go further in the game through representative football," Mortimer said. "He is a catalyst in attack. Just like Thurston is for the Cowboys and Cronk is for the Storm, Reynolds is that catalyst for the Bulldogs. I do honestly believe with the players around him at Origin level, he'll mature into one of the key players for us in a Blues jersey.

"There aren't too many halves who are those catalysts in attack who get things happening and create something when nothing is happening. I always judged players when I played against them by how hard they were to tackle."

Reynolds will get a golden opportunity to prove himself when he goes up against Melbourne and Queensland trio Billy Slater, Cameron Smith and Cronk in the grand final replay at AAMI Park on Thursday night.

Former Bulldogs halfback Brent Sherwin believes Reynolds is the future of the club and tipped him as their next captain.

"Heart takes you a long way and that's what he's got and he's got plenty of it," Sherwin said.
Ads by Google

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...or-reynolds-20130320-2gfss.html#ixzz2O7FAYuzX

bert

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope none of our players make the Rep. teams. I'd much rather have them fit and fresh for the Grand Final.
Selfish I know but phuck Origin !!!

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
T-Rex unlikely for Origin
Don't expect to see big Tony Williams wearing a Blues jersey in this year's Origin series. And that was the mail even before T-Rex's shocker for the Bulldogs against Parra last Friday night. Blues coach Laurie Daley is looking faster and more hard-working players to hit the edges rather than the giant Bulldogs star. The Storm's Ryan Hoffman and the Cowboys' Tariq Sims are both ahead of T-Rex at this stage. Hoffman was superb in the Storm's run to the title last season while Sims is a rising star on the comeback from a badly broken leg in 2012.

No interest in Mateo
It's not surprising to see the Panthers decide to pull out of the race to sign Warriors ball-player Feleti Mateo. The enigmatic Mateo had a shocker first-up against the Eels, was dropped to the bench last weekend … and was even worse against the Roosters last Saturday night. The Warriors' highest-paid player, Mateo's market value has dropped considerably with the season only two weeks old.

Dex

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope none of our players make the Rep. teams. I'd much rather have them fit and fresh for the Grand Final.
Selfish I know but phuck Origin !!!
That is very selfish. The amount of experience gained in Origin is something you cant buy. If reynolds got to play origin he'd improve for us alot!

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That is very selfish. The amount of experience gained in Origin is something you cant buy. If reynolds got to play origin he'd improve for us alot!
It would also push up his asking price tag considerably.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He should definitely be the utility on the bench in the number 14 jersey.
He craps all over teachers pet gidley!!

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
However laurie daley couldnt pick a nsw side when he was a selector, how is he going to pick one now as coach.
prob pick ben creagh trent merrin and co lol

Klem Bupa-Berg

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Dont forget Laurie Daley was given the job to have ricky stuart in his ear as well.

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
Tariq Sims lol....can't even hold a spot in FG.

Daley doesn't want to disrupt the rhythm and momentum of seven straight series losses. Well played Lozz.

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
T-Rex unlikely for Origin
Don't expect to see big Tony Williams wearing a Blues jersey in this year's Origin series. And that was the mail even before T-Rex's shocker for the Bulldogs against Parra last Friday night. Blues coach Laurie Daley is looking faster and more hard-working players to hit the edges rather than the giant Bulldogs star. The Storm's Ryan Hoffman and the Cowboys' Tariq Sims are both ahead of T-Rex at this stage. Hoffman was superb in the Storm's run to the title last season while Sims is a rising star on the comeback from a badly broken leg in 2012.

No interest in Mateo
It's not surprising to see the Panthers decide to pull out of the race to sign Warriors ball-player Feleti Mateo. The enigmatic Mateo had a shocker first-up against the Eels, was dropped to the bench last weekend … and was even worse against the Roosters last Saturday night. The Warriors' highest-paid player, Mateo's market value has dropped considerably with the season only two weeks old.
Oh, you mean the guy who will be playing Queensland cup?..oh that guy.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Was so hoping for Reynolds and Reynolds in Blues jerseys this year.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If Josh is to make origin he will come an even better player. If he plays this year or not he will be playing origin one day!

Blue&White

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
However laurie daley couldnt pick a nsw side when he was a selector, how is he going to pick one now as coach.
prob pick ben creagh trent merrin and co lol
I agree. Laurie Daley failed as a selector for years and my fear as a NSW man is that he will fail as a coach. It doesnt take rocket science to realise our halves were outplayed last series. Carney was quiet all series and Pearce has one decent game out of three. Pearce has been picked and benched like a yoyo for years. He is not an origin player. Why would you continue with a losing formula? Seriously Laurie Daley must have had too many knocks to the head when he played NRL lol

My pick would be J. Reynolds @ # 6 and A. Reynolds @ # 7. Both have shown the tenacity to be origin players. May not be the most gifted halves but they sure play with passion and heart. That's what makes an origin player.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
reluctant to disrupt the rhythm and momentum the Blues built in the halves
Makes complete sense. Two blokes, who played a mere 3 games last year together and the last of those 3 games being on July 4th.......over 8 and a half months ago

Yep, that really means so much, that you should ignore other players with superior form, for that meaningless excuse for logic.

Brought to you by the guy who commentates with such gems as: "the team who scores the most points wins"

QLD 8 in a row now. I just want to thank NSW complete mismanagement of our squads for so many years now. Really, well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.