Williams (T-REX) admits he needs to lift

Status
Not open for further replies.

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It’s no secret the Bulldogs have faced the start of their minor premiership defence minus three of their most devastating big men – and if you ask Tony Williams they haven’t come anywhere near seeing the best of him either.
But that has to change now, according to Williams, if they are any hope of knocking over high-flying Melbourne in Thursday night’s hotly anticipated grand final rematch.

As Canterbury’s one and only big name signing for 2013, the NSW and Australian Test back-rower’s arrival at Belmore this season completes what, at full strength at least, must surely rate as the most intimidating forward pack in the Telstra Premiership.

Yet after his first two games in blue and white the big man is anything but happy with his contribution.

“I’ve still got heaps of improving to do,” he told NRL.com as the Bulldogs head into a third straight game minus representative trio James Graham, Frank Pritchard and Sam Kasiano (as well as fullback Ben Barba). “I’d say that even if I was playing well but I haven’t been very good and I’m still working on a few things.

“I’m getting there but it’s slow progress. I was a bit better [against Parramatta] than I was the week before but I’ve still got a lot of improving to do. I still need to gel with the boys so I think once we’ve done that I think special times will come.”

While Williams’ move to the Bulldogs was largely a decision to reunite with his former coach at Manly Des Hasler, the 24-year-old said the change of clubs had been much tougher than he expected.

“Adapting to a different place has been the hardest thing for me and not knowing the boys as well as I did back at Manly,” he continued. “But that will come. Other than that I really just need to start getting myself into the game more.

“Obviously not holding the ball doesn’t help. When we’re defending for so much of the game it’s a lot harder to get the ball in my hands. Once that’s right I think it will be better days ahead, so it’s nothing major.

“I just have to do what I have to do – turn up, do my best and help the boys as much as I can. I just need to improve.”
While the Bulldogs have been far from their best in an opening-round loss to North Queensland and a narrow win over Parramatta last week, Williams has been particularly impressed by the fight his new teammates have shown – particularly in holding out the Eels for the entire second half as they pounded the Canterbury line.

And he said it was that sort of commitment that would quickly help him become one with the playing group in 2013.

“Big time,” he said when asked that very question. “It’s something at the Bulldogs that we pride ourselves on. It makes such a difference with 'Dessy' and it showed out there. But we need to stop putting ourselves in the position where we need to do that.

“The errors are probably the biggest things that are killing us at the moment but in saying that I’ve really noticed how strong the boys are. They’re tough young guys. Just getting through that [Parramatta] game – especially with a couple of the guys carrying injury – I haven’t seen something like that in a while. It’s good to be a part of.

“It’s been a big loss with those three big boys out but we’ve shown that we’ve got a lot of depth in the team and the boys have been working hard. I think the forwards have been going well. It will be a big bonus when they get back but I’ve really enjoyed playing with these guys here.”

READ More: http://www.nrl.com/williams-admits-he-needs-to-lift/tabid/10874/newsid/71248/default.aspx

Moey999

Pitbull
Reaction score
he'd better fkn lift his game, we're gonna need it especially against storm.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
hopefully this isnt all talkand he actually does something on the field

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He seems kind of introverted to me when he spoke about being friendly with the boys, maybe he's a shy one and once he's comfortable we'll see his best

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thats what he said in the off season....

tyl0r

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
650k would have been better spent on a decent no.7. The back row wasn't really a problem.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
He needs to run. It's not that hard.

Mallyboy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
First apart of rehab is admitting u have a problem. Hopefully, this first step in seeing a better T. Williams.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
It seems he just lacks match fitness so he can't run onto the ball and last 80 mins.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
He needs to hold the ball tight unless its safe to offload, we can't afford any knock ons.
Our whole attack needs to stand a bit deeper to allow a run on and cut out play.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Whenever you start a new job with another company it takes a good 3 months to fit in even though you might be doing exactly the same task. Every company does things a little different to others.

He will be right in a few more weeks.

He is still learning how our team plays and needs to forget the crap Toovey taught him.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
T-Rex has played 80 mintues each week & has done alot of defence due to our lack of discipline and dropped ball...maybe tonight he takes the game by the scruff of the neck & tear's the Storm a new one and helps lead us to a famous victory !!!

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
T-Rex has played 80 mintues each week & has done alot of defence due to our lack of discipline and dropped ball...maybe tonight he takes the game by the scruff of the neck & tear's the Storm a new one and helps lead us to a famous victory !!!
I would really like to see that!

Go Doggies!

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Run forward Tony.

That is all.
Did you see AFL player for the Brisbane Lions on The Back Page. He had the ball and had no idea which way he had to kick the ball. All his players were pointing which way he needed to kick it. The got tackled & lost the ball. Even his coach burst out laughing.

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just am not able to believe the guy is only 24
It is ignorant to expect him to have the type of impact he had at manly immediately for the dogs
People seem to be giving him a pretty hard time
Pretty impatient some of the people on here

S

Sharpy

I just am not able to believe the guy is only 24
It is ignorant to expect him to have the type of impact he had at manly immediately for the dogs
People seem to be giving him a pretty hard time
Pretty impatient some of the people on here
honestly, he is a australian and NSW rep playing like a reserve grader at present.
he is being paid the most out of any player, he needs to perform, pretty simple really

Klem Bupa-Berg

Kennel Established
Reaction score
honestly, he is a australian and NSW rep playing like a reserve grader at present.
he is being paid the most out of any player, he needs to perform, pretty simple really
Bagging T-Rex is bagging Haslers belief in a player. T-Rex is a 100% Des signing. Des knows what he is doing. IDWT.

S

Sharpy

Bagging T-Rex is bagging Haslers belief in a player. T-Rex is a 100% Des signing. Des knows what he is doing. IDWT.
if he isnt performing than that is Trex problems, i never said he hasnt the abilty, he has, he is our X factor, but he has been woeful and thats being nice.
if he plays well then we beat the cowboys but he was soft

Status
Not open for further replies.