Former NRL player admits to blackmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I can honestly say i've never heard of this guy...

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...mits-to-postman-blackmail-20130207-2e0r5.html

[h=1]Former NRL player admits to postman blackmail[/h] <dl><dt class="hiddenVisually">Date</dt><dd class="updated dtstamp"> <time datetime="February 7, 2013 - 3:43PM">February 7, 2013 - 3:43PM</time> </dd></dl>
  • inShare​

Andrew Frew. Photo: Hank VanStuivenberg

Former NRL player Andrew Frew and his girlfriend have pleaded guilty to charges over the blackmail of a Sydney postman, by forcing him to pay thousands of dollars after accusing him of being a paedophile.
Frew, 37, who played for Manly, Parramatta and St George Illawarra between 1997 and 2004, pleaded guilty in the Downing Centre Local Court to two counts of demand with menace by making accusations in September.
His partner Louise Jane Temple, 38, pleaded guilty to making an unwarranted demand for money through a threatened accusation in August.
A statement of agreed facts tendered to the court said the 58-year-old victim was Ms Temple's client when she was a sex worker in Kings Cross in the 90s, and they had kept in contact.
<small>Advertisement</small>
In April last year, Ms Temple went to the victim's home in Sydney's north and asked him to look after a bag of watches for her, before they met again in June 2012 and he handed the bag back.
A few days later, the documents said, Frew called the victim demanding the watches back, but the man told him Ms Temple had already collected them.
Soon after the victim received a text message from an unknown number saying "Anyone that had sex with a 14-year-old should answer their phone", the documents said.
In August, Frew and Ms Temple went to the victim's home holding what they said was a police statement accusing him of sexually abusing Ms Temple when she was 14, the court heard.
Frew said they should sort the problem out and asked the victim for $2000, claiming he was a "biker" and said 'I don't mind going to jail I have been there before, I have 100 friends who will fix you up'."
The pair drove the victim to an ATM, where he withdrew $2000 and gave it to them.
The following month the victim met Frew near a Gladesville Hotel and gave him $1000, after Frew sent a message asking for the money, the documents said.
During their meeting Frew told the victim that "the only way out" was to pay $100,000.
"[Frew] said 'If you don't pay we'll sort you out, break your legs, proceed with charges and even after being convicted in prison, you will still owe $100,000'," the documents said.
The victim told police he was physically intimidated by Frew and "was also concerned that [Frew] may send information in relation to the alleged sexual abuse to his friends suggesting the victim is a pedophile."
The victim reported the incidents to police and the pair was arrested on September 7.
Ms Temple pleaded guilty to the August offence, while Frew admitted his role, which will be taken into consideration when they are sentenced on March 21.
His guilty pleas relate to the meeting in September.
Frew is also charged with driving under the influence, after he was allegedly caught driving a black Mercedes sedan in Chippendale in June, while allegedly on a cocktail of drugs including amphetamine.
He has not entered a plea for that charge.
His solicitor, Martin Ricci, said Frew would begin rehabilitation later this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.