Bulldogs Player Movements | Re-Signings | Rumour Mill | 2013 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The Lurker is just reguritating the whole Folau rumor.

Hasn't been right yet from memory.

He's a big name backline player in Union.

aarooni

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With Hodkinson fixing our halts problem the fb position in really our real concern at present.can we shuffle our side to have to use Morris at FB and keep lafai or do we try and get another fb.there seems to be a few decent players around so hopefully we can get a gunn fb.most of the players mentioned are pretty good and would have a pretty good fwd pack and halves to feed of IMO...so lets see what eventuate

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Morris is a capable fill in but is not a natural fullback. Not agile enough and doesn't have a bag of skills in his armory.

If Barba goes it sets our team back by about 5 years. Our choice for next year is either Templeman or someone from left field. Unless you have a top flight fullback you can forget about winning the competition.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
he is not agile enough but he can make a 1 on 1 tackle, and his height and strength means he is better at the contest even if he still has feet for hands, plus i think he finished equal to barba in the sprint race and could be more of a threat as a ball runner and kick returner

i dont see the 5 year setback, its just a different kind of fullback

captain dropbut

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
coote could be an option for us moylan and soward could be in the laves at penriff they apprentley got a real gun for fullback turning 18 soon which is likely to force the moylan move to the halves

KelpiesHuskies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think morris will grow into the role and end up being the best in the game. defence is way better than barba, quick as barba, just needs work on positional play

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs are searching far and wide for a fullback should Ben Barba be released to the Brisbane Broncos next year – which seems likely on compassionate grounds.

And after missing out on Josh Dugan, who remained at the St George Illawara Dragons, they are checking the credentials of rugby bad boy Kurtley Beale.

The Melbourne Rebels star has had his problems off the field but has the talent and at 24, still has his best years ahead of him. He has expressed interest in switching to league and is one of several names that the Bulldogs are considering.

Read more: http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/bulldogs-bracing-for-barba-departure-10706/#ixzz2bWr4SSJ0

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I think morris will grow into the role and end up being the best in the game. defence is way better than barba, quick as barba, just needs work on positional play
I just hope our centre turned fullback will be as good as Souths' one.

brucey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
you put you best back at fullback, i dont see the suprise that he got picked there with lafai playing as well as he is in cover. i wanted to see him there at the start of the year. hope he backs me up and wins us a premiership

Naki

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I just hope our centre turned fullback will be as good as Souths' one.
Souths fullback was originally a fullback... he was just behind slater at melbourne... then he became the best centre in the game... now probably the best fullback in the game too

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
he is not agile enough but he can make a 1 on 1 tackle, and his height and strength means he is better at the contest even if he still has feet for hands, plus i think he finished equal to barba in the sprint race and could be more of a threat as a ball runner and kick returner

i dont see the 5 year setback, its just a different kind of fullback
It's a setback because you do need attacking fullbacks to win this competition, the last few grand finalists AND NRL Premiers have all had decent attacking fullbacks.

From 2009

Eels - Hayne Storm - Slater
Dragons - Boyd Roosters - Minichello
Warriors - Locke Manly - Stewart
Bulldogs - Barba Storm - Slater

This stretches back to 2006 even. The last time any team won without superstar fullbacks was back in 2004 which was us with Patten who was by no means a slouch.

The only way it wouldn't set us back is if we had a superstar halfback, which we don't.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
It's a setback because you do need attacking fullbacks to win this competition, the last few grand finalists AND NRL Premiers have all had decent attacking fullbacks.

From 2009

Eels - Hayne Storm - Slater
Dragons - Boyd Roosters - Minichello
Warriors - Locke Manly - Stewart
Bulldogs - Barba Storm - Slater

This stretches back to 2006 even. The last time any team won without superstar fullbacks was back in 2004 which was us with Patten who was by no means a slouch.

The only way it wouldn't set us back is if we had a superstar halfback, which we don't.
I have already mentioned that Morris is a capable fullback.

He does not have a passing game.

He does not have a kicking game.

At his best he could hope to be as good as Luke Patten who is a club legend in his own right but in my opinion was maybe the 12th or 13th best fullback at the best stage of his career.

My understanding is that the club is not about to sell the Barba home sickness bull**** to its fans unless it has an adequate replacement in the class of Folau etc. If the club does in fact let go of Ben then it would make the exact same mistake it did with Sonny Bill and we're in for a few hard slog years as cellar dwellers. It gives an excuse for players to fail.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Even though Barba has had an interrupted year and many believe he has been playing poorly, he is still one of the main guys in our team.

He is top 3 in stats for line breaks, line break assists, tries and tackle breaks. Also n

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs are searching far and wide for a fullback should Ben Barba be released to the Brisbane Broncos next year – which seems likely on compassionate grounds.

And after missing out on Josh Dugan, who remained at the St George Illawara Dragons, they are checking the credentials of rugby bad boy Kurtley Beale.

The Melbourne Rebels star has had his problems off the field but has the talent and at 24, still has his best years ahead of him. He has expressed interest in switching to league and is one of several names that the Bulldogs are considering.

Read more: http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/bulldogs-bracing-for-barba-departure-10706/#ixzz2bWr4SSJ0
We never made a play for Dugan in the first place.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
the bulldogs have been linked to every off contract or possible player for months now, has anyone been keeping score, whats the count now
dugan, hayne, locke, beale, folau,

Harby

Trance Family
Reaction score
the bulldogs have been linked to every off contract or possible player for months now, has anyone been keeping score, whats the count now
dugan, hayne, locke, beale, folau,
Foran, Thurston, Lyon, Stewart bros, Benji

Status
Not open for further replies.