Penrith sign Fijian hotel porter sight unseen on recommendation of Brad Fittler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Etonia Nabuli was spotted in the foyer of a Fijian hotel by Andrew Johns and Brad Fittler.

A FEW weeks ago, Etonia Nabuli was a humble porter in a Fijian hotel. That was until he bumped into Freddy Fittler and Joey Johns in the foyer.

An amazing chain of events has led to the 23-year-old joining the Penrith Panthers sight unseen. It has to be one of the most amazing player signing stories in NRL history.

Freddy and Joey were in Fiji, combining a family holiday with coaching clinics, school visits, tours of villages and charity fundraisers.

"We bumped into him in the foyer at the Intercontinental, looked at him, and thought what a specimen," Fittler said.

"So me and Joey invited him down to a nearby park. We put up some bombs, had him running up and down the field, passing left to right, right to left. We did some skills, some sprints, some grubbers and he came up a treat."

Johns was equally as impressed.

"His athleticism was phenomenal," Joey said.

"Plus great hand-eye co-ordination. I guess you could say this is an educated gamble but sometimes you can just look at blokes and know they are good players."

Nabuli plays club rugby union in Fiji in both the 15-a-side and Sevens formats.

"As long as he can learn a bit about our game and about positioning, he'll be a freak," Fittler said.

Johns is employed as an assistant coach under Geoff Toovey at Manly and offered him to the Sea Eagles first.

They even had video footage from the hour-long skills session, taken by cameraman Adam Thompson, who was filming a documentary on the trip.

"Manly were umming and ahhing so I rang Gus (Phil Gould) at Penrith," Fittler said.

"Gus just said over the phone, 'We'll take him'.

"I thought living in Penrith would be an easier place for him to adapt to as well."

It wasn't just the football skills that convinced the Blues legends to set him up in the NRL.

He doesn't drink or smoke and had stable employment.

"We spoke to his bosses at the hotel," Joey said.

"They just raved about the guy's work ethic." Freddy added: "What impressed me most is when he came along to a clinic in one of the villages.

"Just watching him leading the kids around, he had leadership and authority about him.

"He didn't yell or scream but they listened to him. He's a very impressive kid."

Johns and Fittler paid for the Fijian trip themselves. They took gear from the Roosters, Penrith and Warriors to hand out in schools.

Their inspiration was the stunning debut of winger Marika Koroibete at the Wests Tigers this year.

read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/n...6532782944

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
this guy sounds like a piece of meat or a slave the way the article is written, but actually hes 23 and hasnt broken through at fijian rugby union so phil gould is not letting any opportunity get away from him tbh

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
going to be interesting to see if joey and freddy are on the money about this one

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
i know gus is rebuilding the panthers, but hes taking some risks doing it

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not really sure if Gus is doing the best for the Panthers. He's taken a few risks which last year hasn't paid off, and another drab season for the Panthers and people will start questioning his wealth.

SoulCrusher

Banned
Reaction score
Big gamble, hope it pays off though. Who doesn't love an underdog story?

Stringer

CAR RAMROD
Reaction score
Ummm what are some of you guys taking about big Risk / Gamble????

Doubt he's demanding 350,000 a season.

H

hazem_elmasri

Guys Gould is at it again! That funny. He wants to get rid of every decent player they have, already flogged off Michael Gordon, one of the best players in the nrl, and tries to replace them with players, if you can call this guy that, like this.

Oh man, 20 year plan!! Hahahaha

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I hope he succeeds in every way possible.. I'd even cheer him on if he carried the panthers to a premiership.. Only to see the look on the Manly supporters faces after their team closed the door on this bloke!!! Priceless!!!

It'd still be good to see Gus fail miserably, but I have nothing against the Panthers, Manly deserve it much more.

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Penrith have nothing to lose by signing this guy - will cost peanuts and best case, could unearth something special. If it doesn't work then not really a big impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.